Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 225 grain .456 Conical

Lee 225 grain .456 Conical

So my Uberti 1875 Remington in 45 Colt needs .456 ish bullets due to the large chambers. This mould is listed for the Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver but I see no reason it can't be used in a cartridge application for just plinking. Certainly a steel at $20. Will it work okay? I can just roll crimp above the ogive much like the Lyman 454190.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...radius-conical
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had 1 for a little while . The 3 bands base up measured 454, 456 and 458 in 50/50 . Pure goes a little more . In a Colts case the the challenge will be to keep the sized brass big enough to continue to beat the bullet swage .

I did load a few as a light weight in a 45-70 and had no problems , even in the magazine of an 1895 G .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    You might want to consider this:

RCBS 45-250-RN-HB
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...se-hollow-base

It will size to fit your case and then swell up at firing.

Attachment 201338

Thank you for the replies. I saw the RCBS mould but $125 is steep for any mould, to me. And I like the traditional round nose. I went ahead and bought the mould, can't complain if it don't work for $26 shipped. This comes after already trying the first one, a Lee 452-250 grain mould. Too small even unsized. A lyman 454190, still too small and I don't have their proprietary #2 alloy to get the true 454 size which is still....too small. The 456 conical mould should drop 457 with my scrap alloy. Should be perfect for these monster sized throats. I must say accuracy with the Lyman 454's was a lot better than the Lee .452's wobbling in the cylinder throats.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

My LEE .456 conical mould came in. Drops beautiful little .458's with scrap alloy. Always loved how LEE moulds drop bigger than advertised. This should work well, the caveat here is only the middle band is .458. The base is only .452 to ease loading in cap and ball cylinders. So to keep that little band in size I'm going to water quench to get them as hard as possible.

My brass contracts a little after firing so no sizing in needed, the bullets seat in the cases with light pressure, and they start easily by hand being the bases are smaller. They seat a little past the ogive and are light crimped so the crimp doesn't size that little band on the bullet as it's flying out. We'll see....

A little unorthodox but I'll bet these will get this fat Italian girl shooting. The main purpose here is just to have a little better gas seal in the chambers since they mike so huge. Once they hit the bore it's a smooth .452 ride down town.