Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Graf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
RotoMetals2
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Where can I find reduced data for 480 Ruger

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287

    Where can I find reduced data for 480 Ruger

    Yup, that's the question . I'm looking for load data with Unique, 800X , HS6/540 and Universal.
    Any help will be GREATLY Appreciated!!!!
    Thank you .
    Glen.
    You are being watched.

  2. #2
    Boolit Master waco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon
    Posts
    2,801
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

  3. #3
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    I was hoping for someone's thread on here. I've looked for load data on here but must be doing something wrong and can't find the page.
    The Hodgdon site has , full house loads. Which I already have . I'm trying to find the 800-1000 fps loads with Unique, ECT.
    Thanks.
    You are being watched.

  4. #4
    Boolit Buddy
    Loudenboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Western Minnesota
    Posts
    424
    I just got in from shooting my .480 SBH. My reduced power load is 10.5 Gr. HS-6 and the 400 gr Lee. I haven't ran it across the chrono yet. Should be about 1000 fps. For full throttle loads I've been shooting 20 gr. AA#9s with the same Lee 400 should be about 1200 fps. I've only got a couple of hundred rounds threw the gun so just getting settled in but this is working good so far.

  5. #5
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    Awesome. Thank you. I have a Lee 476- 400 gr mold also . And a friend has a pound of Win 540 he will sell me. Its a Long way to the powder store.
    How does the plain base 400 gr8 boolit do with 20 gr of #9 ?
    What bhn is your boolit ?
    Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 08-06-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    You are being watched.

  6. #6
    Boolit Buddy
    Loudenboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Western Minnesota
    Posts
    424
    In both loads I've been shooting the same 400 gr. lee boolit. Water quenched clip on WW, BAC Lubed and sized to .476. The 20.0 gr. #9s load is safe in my gun. I did have to install a taller front sight but No pressure signs. Really the 1000 fps HS-6 load is more than enough for anything until I get back up to your neck of the woods.
    On a side note I purchased an Alaskan chest holster made in Wasilla for this .480 Bisley 6.5" SBH. Spendy but very high quality.

  7. #7
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    I have a load with an Accurate Molds 380V pushed by 21 gr Accurate #9 in my 7 1/2" SRH. Its a good load going 1300 fps. The lower velocity loads will be fun to shoot. Where did you get the taller front sight. I need one Also. And one for my 45 Bisley Blackhawk.
    Have you done any longer range shooting with the Lee 400gr . . I haven't cast with mine yet, but it looks like a good looking boolit . Like a LFN design.
    I make most of my own holsters. Rough out. Full flap. Integral belt loop. Lots of years falling timber and thinning trees got me hooked on full flaps. They had something figured out in the Civil War as far as holsters go.
    Last edited by Cold Trigger Finger; 08-07-2017 at 12:42 AM.
    You are being watched.

  8. #8
    Boolit Buddy daloper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sparta Michigan
    Posts
    354
    Try this thread. I am also looking to lighten up my 480 loads but I don't have any empties and they go through my stop. I will be building a thicker stop to allow me to capture the lead after I tear this one apart and mine the spent lead from it.

    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...feed-480-Ruger

  9. #9
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    10,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    I was hoping for someone's thread on here. I've looked for load data on here but must be doing something wrong and can't find the page.
    The Hodgdon site has , full house loads. Which I already have . I'm trying to find the 800-1000 fps loads with Unique, ECT.
    Thanks.
    for the Ruger 480, I'd start with 9gr of Unique and work up.
    I have only loaded the Ruger 480 with jacketed to factory specs, but I have tried Unique in the larger but similar S&W500.
    I posted a little bit about it, in this thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...he-500-S-amp-W

  10. #10
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    I found some lighter bullet loads on Alliante's web site. . I sent a question about safe starting loads with Unique and 410 gr cast in the 480.
    If they reply I'll update this thread.
    You are being watched.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    sargenv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,417
    Hodgdon has a listing for Titegroup.. in the 8 gr range for a 420 gr bullet barely making 958 fps and 10.7 gr with the lightest 325 gr bullet at 1158 fps. I prefer titegroup over most other powders since it proved to me to be temp and position insensitive when I was working up mouse far loads in the smaller 41 magnum case.. I've found Unique to be inconsistent depending on position in the case where there was lots of room inside.

  12. #12
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    Ok. Thanks. I think I have some of it.
    You are being watched.

  13. #13
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    I found some lighter bullet loads on Alliante's web site. . I sent a question about safe starting loads with Unique and 410 gr cast in the 480.
    If they reply I'll update this thread.
    They replied. Said they didn't have a low load for Unique with a 410 gr boolits. They do have loads for the 325 and 275 gr bullets. But that's as high as they go at this point.
    You are being watched.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    248
    45 COLT data.

  15. #15
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    ?? If you had a link with your post , it didn't come thru.
    You are being watched.

  16. #16
    Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Eastern Central Alaska
    Posts
    287
    Found this on Shooters Forum. EVERYWHERE
    AND SHOW ME
    POSTS
    THREADS
    Index
    Handguns Category
    Handgun Cartridges
    JimC
    May 30, 2004 #1
    Unique for .480 Ruger
    I have a SRH Ruger .480, 7.5" barrel. I thought I would try some Unique behind 355 gr. BTB. I couldn't find any data for the .480 with Unique so I started with 11 grains and then worked up to 12.5 grains of Unique. Does this sound reasonable? Has anybody used Unique with the .480 Ruger?

    I shot it for the first time this week. I shot 26 grains of H110 behind a BTB 355gr GC. Serious recoil! The very first thing I'm going to do is send this baby of to be MagNaPorted and change to Pachmeyr decelator grips and wear a glove!!

    My middle finger touches the trigger guard-it's still swollen!

    Love that Ruger!

    JimC

    Wyogoose
    R. S. Wyo
    May 30, 2004 #2
    480 ruger
    I have the taurus 5" with the porting 325 XTP 27 GR 110 WLP,
    Cast Performance (sorry Marshall!?!) 375 LFNGC 20 gr. 2400 WLP, and 405 self cast Lee mold 18 gr 2400 WLP and realize amazing accuracy and very tolerable recoil. The grips are factoy and have a pad (sorbathane????) in the back strap that really make it a ***** cat considering what it is doing. My buddies and I all agree most 44's seam to be more punishing. I wanted the Ruger but run into a steal on the Taurus. After reading everyone complain about the recoil with the SRH I am thinking it was a better deal than thought.
    axlenut
    San Francisco Bay Area
    May 31, 2004 #3
    JimC said:
    I have a SRH Ruger .480, 7.5" barrel. I thought I would try some Unique behind 355 gr. BTB. I couldn't find any data for the .480 with Unique so I started with 11 grains and then worked up to 12.5 grains of Unique. Does this sound reasonable? Has anybody used Unique with the .480 Ruger?

    I shot it for the first time this week. I shot 26 grains of H110 behind a BTB 355gr GC. Serious recoil! The very first thing I'm going to do is send this baby of to be MagNaPorted and change to Pachmeyr decelator grips and wear a glove!!

    My middle finger touches the trigger guard-it's still swollen!

    Love that Ruger!

    JimC


    Jim:

    I shoot the Ruger SRH 7.5" and a Gary Reeder Ultimate .480 Custom 5 shot rebuild of a Ruger Blackhawk. Neither really liked Unique. !0.0 grains of Unique was about the best.

    This cartridge does best at near max. But I found the following loads a bit milder and still capable of good accuracy with enough power to handle most hunting chores.

    Hornady 400 grain XTP bullet with 18.6 grains of Hodgdon Lil' Gun, Winchester LP primer. Average velocity is 1105 fps and 100 yard energy is 914 ft lbs (10 shots). Blue target photo below. 1.25" group at 25 yards.


    The best cast bullet load I found was the CPBC 370 grain LFN PB bullet over 25.5 grains of Win. 296 with the WLP primer. This load's average velocity is 1342 fps. with 100 yard energy 1104 ft lbs (10 shots). Red dot target below. .75" group at 25 yards discounting the flyer from broken scope.


    You are correct, a shooting glove is needed for the SRH, my middle finger took a beating. Recoil also disassembled the Burris 2x Posi-lock scope which caused that flier in the second photo. The windage turret unscrewed. The Ultimate .480 was made with a Super Blackhawk triger guard and fits my big paw better.

    axlenut
    Attachments


    Post Edited
    Last edited by axlenut - May 31, 2004
    JimC
    May 31, 2004 #4
    Thanks Axlenut for the info. I keep hearing about LilGun, people seem to like it. I have some of those 370 gr plain base cast bullets. I'll try that load you suggest with W296. I don't think I can do anything about the trigger guard other than changing to a blackhawk. I'm sending this thing off for a Mag-Na-Port tomorrow!! That should help.

    Thanks,

    JimC

    JimC
    May 31, 2004 #5
    Wyogoose said:
    I have the taurus 5" with the porting 325 XTP 27 GR 110 WLP,
    Cast Performance (sorry Marshall!?!) 375 LFNGC 20 gr. 2400 WLP, and 405 self cast Lee mold 18 gr 2400 WLP and realize amazing accuracy and very tolerable recoil. The grips are factoy and have a pad (sorbathane????) in the back strap that really make it a ***** cat considering what it is doing. My buddies and I all agree most 44's seam to be more punishing. I wanted the Ruger but run into a steal on the Taurus. After reading everyone complain about the recoil with the SRH I am thinking it was a better deal than thought.


    Thanks for the reply Wyogoose,
    I also have a Dan Wesson 44 mag, 8.5", that doesn't bother me. This ruger .480 hurts, way more recoil than my Dan Wesson. But I like the gun, it's accurate and it shoots big bullets, just what I like. And I am going to work on the recoil issue, hopefully with good success.

    Thanks,

    JimC
    jcdflint
    May 31, 2004 #6
    [QUOTE=JimC]I have a SRH Ruger .480, 7.5" barrel. I thought I would try some Unique behind 355 gr. BTB. I couldn't find any data for the .480 with Unique so I started with 11 grains and then worked up to 12.5 grains of Unique. Does this sound reasonable? Has anybody used Unique with the .480 Ruger?

    I shot it for the first time this week. I shot 26 grains of H110 behind a BTB 355gr GC. Serious recoil! The very first thing I'm going to do is send this baby of to be MagNaPorted and change to Pachmeyr decelator grips and wear a glove!!

    My middle finger touches the trigger guard-it's still swollen!

    Love that Ruger!

    JimC[/QUOTE

    TRY THIS LOAD!!!! Mild!!! I shoot 16.0 gr. of H110. under 400 gr. Lee Cast bullet at around 950fps out of a 10 inch TC Encore. With My 2 X Burris I can do a 1.20 inch group at 75 yards. Not bad in my books. I think it will make a great deer round!!!! The lee 400 has a very wide flat point. I go up to 22 gr. of H110 if I want a real "BOOMER" But not often!!!!, Jeff
    jcdflint
    May 31, 2004 #7
    lee 400 gr. 16 gr. H110 PHOTO
    PHOTO of load[QUOTE=jcdflint]
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC
    I have a SRH Ruger .480, 7.5" barrel. I thought I would try some Unique behind 355 gr. BTB. I couldn't find any data for the .480 with Unique so I started with 11 grains and then worked up to 12.5 grains of Unique. Does this sound reasonable? Has anybody used Unique with the .480 Ruger?

    I shot it for the first time this week. I shot 26 grains of H110 behind a BTB 355gr GC. Serious recoil! The very first thing I'm going to do is send this baby of to be MagNaPorted and change to Pachmeyr decelator grips and wear a glove!!

    My middle finger touches the trigger guard-it's still swollen!

    Love that Ruger!

    JimC[/QUOTE

    TRY THIS LOAD!!!! Mild!!! I shoot 16.0 gr. of H110. under 400 gr. Lee Cast bullet at around 950fps out of a 10 inch TC Encore. With My 2 X Burris I can do a 1.20 inch group at 75 yards. Not bad in my books. I think it will make a great deer round!!!! The lee 400 has a very wide flat point. I go up to 22 gr. of H110 if I want a real "BOOMER" But not often!!!!, Jeff
    PHOTO OF LOAD
    Attachments

    Wyogoose
    R. S. Wyo
    May 31, 2004 #8
    H-110
    How was the velocity spread with the 16gr H-110. My books (Hornady & Hodgdon) show 17.4 and 18 to be the starters and have heard terrible things about low pressure H-110 and W-296 powders (some say 3% some 10% below printed data) . That is why I went with the 2400 for the lighter load behind the Lee mold. Pretty impressive performance with that bullet for a slow mover, going to try the H-110 with a little more pep as sone as I can get more shipped in.
    Post Edited
    Last edited by Wyogoose - May 31, 2004

    JimC
    May 31, 2004 #9
    jcdflint said:
    PHOTO of load

    PHOTO OF LOAD


    That's a light load of H110, most say don't use light loads of H110. I'll try a couple to see what happens. Have you used 4227, I hear it works well fore lighter loads.

    Thanks,

    JimC
    axlenut
    San Francisco Bay Area
    May 31, 2004 #10
    JimC said:
    That's a light load of H110, most say don't use light loads of H110. I'll try a couple to see what happens. Have you used 4227, I hear it works well fore lighter loads.

    Thanks,

    JimC


    They are correct, too light a load of H110 or Win. 296 or AA #9 can cause hangfires and/or high pressures. IMR4227 and the seldom mentioned AA1680 are choices.

    The 370 grain CPBC LFN PB over 25.5 grains of AA1680 developed 1108 fps average velocity with a S.D. of 15. Recoil was moderate. Picture on left with no red dot.

    The same bullet with 24.0 grains of IMR 4227 produces an average velocity of 1176 fps, but with a spread of 214 fps for a S.D. of 60, but a group of 1.25" at 25 yds. The red dot target in the middle.

    Here's where it gets interesting. Increase the load above to 24.5 grains of IMR4227 and the average velocity increases to 1233 fps. the extreme spread drops to 38 fps. and the S.D. drops to 13, while the group size grows to 1.75". The target on the right.

    The case won't hold much more IMR4227, but some day I will try H4227 to see if it follows suit. There are some good results with the 400 grain LFN PB and AA1680, but that's for another day.

    axlenut
    Attachments
    3
    Show these thumbnails
    JimC
    May 31, 2004 #11
    axlenut said:
    They are correct, too light a load of H110 or Win. 296 or AA #9 can cause hangfires and/or high pressures. IMR4227 and the seldom mentioned AA1680 are choices.

    The 370 grain CPBC LFN PB over 25.5 grains of AA1680 developed 1108 fps average velocity with a S.D. of 15. Recoil was moderate. Picture on left with no red dot.

    The same bullet with 24.0 grains of IMR 4227 produces an average velocity of 1176 fps, but with a spread of 214 fps for a S.D. of 60, but a group of 1.25" at 25 yds. The red dot target in the middle.

    Here's where it gets interesting. Increase the load above to 24.5 grains of IMR4227 and the average velocity increases to 1233 fps. the extreme spread drops to 38 fps. and the S.D. drops to 13, while the group size grows to 1.75". The target on the right.

    The case won't hold much more IMR4227, but some day I will try H4227 to see if it follows suit. There are some good results with the 400 grain LFN PB and AA1680, but that's for another day.

    axlenut


    Thanks Axlenut for the information,

    Good shootin'. It's like John Linebaugh says, "there is a specific bullet and a specific powder that is going to work best in your gun, everything is going to be balanced. It's your job to find it. It's obvious you've been shooting that .480 for some time, I'm just starting my adventure with the .480 but the information you give is a great help. What kind of groups do you shoot at 50 and 100 yds?

    I'm sending my .480 off tomorrow for a Mag-Na-Port job, when it gets back I'll let you know if it was worth it.

    Thanks,

    JimC
    axlenut
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Jun 01, 2004 #12
    JimC said:
    Thanks Axlenut for the information,

    JimC


    You are welcome.

    I dug up an article by John Taffin from the January 2004 Guns Magazine on reduced loads for big bore pistols. For the .480 Ruger he recommends:

    370 Grain Cast Performance Bullet Co. LFN PB, CCI 300 primers, Hornady Brass. Fired in Freedom Arms 4.75" revolver.

    Unique 8.0 to 10.0 grains
    HS-6 10.0 to 12.0 grains
    Universal 7.0 to 10.0 grains
    WW231 8.0 to 10.0 grains

    He cautioned against increasing the loads. Groups ran from 1.125" to 1.75" at 25 yards.
    You are being watched.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master dougader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    OryGun
    Posts
    525
    http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/ta...Powder&Source=

    I like 8 to 9 grains of 231 with a 370 grain bullet. I loaded some last week with 8.5 grains 231 but haven't shot them yet.

    Also 16 - 17 grains H108 and the 370 rnfp.

    14 - 15 grains Blue Dot with the Mihec 385 gr hp for a hunting load.

  18. #18
    Boolit Buddy 5.7 MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    154

  19. #19
    Boolit Master

    nicholst55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Daegu, Korea
    Posts
    2,843
    Here's a link to a thread on the Single Actions forum; go to page 4 for the .480 data. There are several fairly moderate loads listed there.

    http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...ey-chart-added
    Boycott YouTube

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check