Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: WTB Lee .323 sizer and 3006 Nato Brass

WTB Lee .323 sizer and 3006 Nato Brass

I am looking for a Lee .323 sizer die and 3006 Nato brass to convert to 8x57 for my son.

I'm going to stick my neck out a little here, but I don't believe that there is any such thing as .30-06 NATO brass. I was part of the cannon fodder assigned to NATO for a year before and two years after the transition from .30-06 to .308 (7.62mm) and the .30-06 ammo we used was all Korean War vintage U.S. issue with the exception of some match ammo which had been made a few years later. So what I think you're looking for is just some U.S. military issue .30-06 brass. Something to consider is that only the ammo made during the last few years of general issue was non-corrosive, so some with later head stamps would be preferable to the WW II vintage stuff, although I have loaded, fired, reloaded lots of it quite successfully. All ammo made specifically for NATO use or to NATO specs has a little cross in a circle as part of the head stamp, which represents the NATO star, and I've never encountered any .30-06 brass with that marking. Frankly, I think it would be just as easy to turn up some 8x57mm brass and save yourself some trouble.

Thank you for correcting my lack of knowledge, it helps to have people that dont mind sharing information. I am trying to avoid brass with the same head stamp for two different calibers in a case that is fairly similar in looks.

Boolit Master
    You can also use 270 brass to make 8x57 also. 270 brass it seem is cheaper then 06 brass also. Funny part you can make 06 brass from 270 brass. Also from 270 brass you can also make 7.7 Jap another 25-06

That did cross my mind but that would mean giving up my 270 brass. I have been working on a nice stock pile of that to reload for my 270 and I just picked up a lyman mold for it.

Banned
    if you make brass out of 30-06 for your 8mm aka 8x57 you need to have a neck reamer or a way to thin down the necks on the new form brass trust me you need to do this i make brass for my 8mm out of 30-06 and 270 brass
    and as head stamp goes you can shave it off or just remark them XX-XX on the 30-06 stamp and stamp a 8mm on them or just leave it blank i just do not own a 30-06 or 270 so i do not have to mess with it have a old book on converting brass and the old guy use a old drill bit to make a stamp remover