RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 22 LR ammo FTF

Boolit Master

Federal 22 LR ammo FTF

Anyone experiencing FTF's with Federal LR ammo? I bought several 325 round boxes of "match grade" and 3 550 round boxes of standard LR HP on sale. Running this ammo through a S&W 2206. Ten % fail to fire, sometimes when I rotate them in magazine they work on 2nd try, sometimes not. I sent some back to Federal, they said my firing pin wasn't denting the rim enough to cause reliable ignition per their specs. I thought there could be gunk in the firing pin spring and / or pin channel, tore it down and cleaned everything, same problem. Then replaced firing pin, firing pin and hammer springs, still the same problem.
    Solved the problem with a 1750 round bucket of Remington LR HP ammo. Not one FTF after 350 rounds.

Nope, nothing like that here. They go bang in my guns.

They are in fact my favorite ammo for my Ruger Mk III 22/45's.
    YMMV.

Boolit Master
    I have shot literally hundreds of thousands of rounds of rimfire ammo over the last twenty-five+ years. I shot it in a number of handguns and rifles while shooting competition. I can say for a fact that the single biggest cause(s) of misfires are: lightening the spring in a handgun, and a dirty chamber in a handgun. Whenever I start to get misfires the first thing I do is take a wire brush and solvent to the chamber or cylinder and then try again. Some ammo is more sensitive than other brands, but it's not "bad" ammo when this starts to happen. I'd give your chamber/cylinders a very good scrubbing and try again.

I run the club indoor pistol range on Saturday, I find a lot o unfired 22 ammo on the floor, by far the highest number are Federal head stamp Winchester is number two.

Federal Auto match is the first ammo I try in any 22lr I get my hands on. It always works for me. I can't remember the last time I had a misfire with it.
    Remington thunderbolts, on the other hand, misfire on a regular basis.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ran some 22 ammo through two guns that I have, one had no problems, the other had 5-6 FTF. I put the FTF in the no problem gun, they fired.

It wasn't the same ammo as you're asking about, but I don't know what else to tell you. It's the same with accuracy in center fire guns where something works well in one but not the other. It can drive you nuts trying to solve it.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My Pastor's .22 fails to fire on a regular basis . I've offered to show him how to clean it but until the failures hit about twenty percent he pushed on . He finally did let me scrub some of the gunk out and lube it where needed .... can you imagine he was shocked how much better it worked

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a new hammer spring would help you out. I have had several guns that were prone to misfire, yet others almost never would.
    If your hammer spring is weak you can't clean your way out of the problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the automatch ammo, I've had a couple ftf, but not like with the bigger boxes od fed 22. Wanted to try out a large amount of cci blazer 22 back before all ammo disappeared...maybe some day Ill get a pile of it and run it through a few rifles

I've had a few bricks of the federal automatch of recent and I had a few failure to fires out of my marlin 60. I had a lot of inconsistency though in the sound, and some didnt even cycle the action. I have had the best luck with CCI blazers for cheap ammo.

Boolit Master

Hammer spring was replaced same time I replaced firing pin & firing pin spring.

Boolit Master
    I have seen about 3 fail in my new SR22.

I think In the last 3 years I have seen 2 fed automatch that failed to fire in my Ruger Mk III 22/45's.

When I start seeing failure to feed it is time to sit down and clean magazine insides.
    When I start seeing failure to eject it is time to clean the chamber, maybe run an oily patch down the bore twice. And that is all I will do to the bore.

Q- tip and clean all I can clean. Then a light coat of ATF I have been using dextron 2 and 3 but just because it was what I had. Light coat then wipe 90% of it off. Leaving a very very fine film. Wipe the outside down same way and good for another year or 2.

All firearms have their preferences, if yours prefers something else listen to it and feed it what it likes.

My pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45's love the automatch, and my ruger 10/22 does not mind them at all. It does seem to have a slight accuracy preference for the CCI's.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a lot of trouble with Federal 22 lr in all of my various 22s.

Boolit Master
    An indentation in the breech face due to dry firing can cause FTF. Federal ammo has had a very few FTF in a few of my rimfires.

If a gun has any sort of problem Federal ammo will reveal it.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used about 5k of misc Federal bulk ammo in last few months - my experience was completely opposite - very few malfunctions.

Boolit Master
    Could be the boolit is a close fit for the chamber and your recoil spring has started getting weak. See if rounds will pass the plonk test. Wolff springs probably has an extra power recoil spring.

Boolit Master

I have found that 99.9% of FTFs are the fault of the firearm not the ammo.
    I`m talking rim fire and center fire....dale

Auto match turned my Stoager luger into a single shot. I thought it might have been dirty seeing as I bought it used and had never torn it down and cleaned it. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning. I still could not get it to cycle the Stoager. Everything else, other then American Eagle fired flawlessly. Standard and high velocity.

Also, I am the guy who picks up live rounds on the range. I take them home and save them up to shoot through my Remington 514. By far the most I find have the Federal head stamp. Most go off after one or two strikes, so the only conclusion is poor priming.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I pull the bullets from them and most of the time there is no priming compound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast