Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: A BPCR rechamber conundrum

Boolit Bub

A BPCR rechamber conundrum

Here's a chamber schematic from a cerrosafe mold I made from an old barrel.

It's probably a 44 Henry rimfire which had a case length of about 0.9" and an OAL of 1.345" with a 0.446 heeled bullet.

The dimensions shown are probably +/- a 0.001, because I expect the chamber should have fit that 0.446 bullet even though the casting measured 0.445, but that's what I got.

Anyway, the conundrum.

I want to rechamber the gun without setting the barrel back any if possible, and use the bore/groove as is considering it will take a 44 cal lead bullet nicely. I can fit a cartridge with a OAL of about 1.6" max which is represented by the thicker unlabeled line.

***All blackpowder loading****

A 44 special will clean up a lot of the old chamber, but leave a leade/throat of 0.125" at 0.445 diameter and the tapered section of 0.105" down to the threaded bore, essentially a total of 0.23", most of which is 0.015" larger than bullet diameter.

A 44-40 will clean up the old chamber up until where the neck meets the shoulder of the 44-40, then it will be overrsized by a thousandth up until the last 0.08" of the tapered section where the chamber measures about 0.444. I assume more throat would have to be cut to properly seat without jamming a bullet in the lands? What diameter would you cut it for?

A 44 mag will clean up the old chamber all the way to the start of where the lead tapers, essentially leaving the 0.105" taper. Same as the 44-40, I assume more throat would have to be cut to properly seat without jamming a bullet in the lands? What diameter would you cut it for?

What are my pros and cons for the scenarios given? Any other scenarios pop into your head?

Boolit Grand Master

Check the bore groove dimensions on the barrel also. If its .446 groove then the modern inside seated 429 bullets will be to small for it.

Boolit Bub
    slugging the bore gives the 0.428+/- and 0.418+/-.

Kind of made me thought it was a 42 allen rimfire, but that would have been a way oversized chamber...

Of course, swagging a lead bullet in the chamber from 0.446 down to 0.428 seemed kind of odd as well, but it may have been the case.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot also depends on the rifle and action type. Chamber for a round that factory loads are over pressure for it is a distinct problem. While you state BP only what happens when the rifle is eventually out of your control?

Boolit Bub
    Well aside from taking a precaution to stamp the barrel "BP only", I believe my wife will bury me with my projects, so the concern is moot.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd re-chamber to .44-40 WCF. Vintage cartridge, plentiful components, matches bore diameter well. The chamber reamer will cut proper throat and leade for the designated cartridge.

What action will the barrel be installed on? .44-40 is used on plenty of N-SSA competition original guns that were OEM chambered for .44 RF, Ballards, Wessons, etc. with perfect safety. BP or very mild smokeless loads only in those weak actions.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Bub
    A steel framed Ethan Allen drop breech. (Allen & Wheelock)

I mention steel because some were made in brass.

All were originally rimfire actions, but chambered in 44, 42 and some in various 30 cals. They are late civil war vintage.
    Last edited by RWE; 08-02-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: info

Boolit Bub
    And doing more investigation on chamber dimensions versus cartridge dimensions, John, I believe you are right. The 44-40 will fit it better, and the bottle neck, albeit a small one, will facilitate loading and unloading the 44-40 which is about a quarter inch longer than the original chambered round.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob Hoyt, Freischutz Gun Shop in Fairfield PA, does a lot of chamber and barrel work for N-SSA members, and has rechambered MANY original s to .44-40 WCF.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Banned

+1 on bobby hoyt's work, excellent.