Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast boolit .44 special venison

Boolit Master

I also have two .44's. The daily carry is a used one I picked up on the interweb for $200. Blued with a 2.5" bbl and a factory bobby hammer spur. Very light and about 5.4 gr of Unique under a Mihec LSWC of about 240 gr of pure WW with the nasty penta hollow point makes for a dandy carry gun. I tried heavier loadings of Unique but this thing kicks too painfully at anything more than 5.6 gr.
    Once I saw how accurate and pleasurable it was to shoot I had to got whole hog.
    I bought a new .44 Spcl Ruger Blackhawk Bisley with the blued finish and a 5.5" bbl. It is a very nice gun and hoot to shoot. However it has a tight spot in the barrel just where it meets the frame that needs to be smoothed out. I bought the grit kit to firelap it out but I have not gotten around to doing it yet. Another unfinished project as usual.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    Here's another .44 you might enjoy seeing. It's a magnum, a 3-screw flattop that was "cosmetically challenged," so I had it cut to 4 5/8" (my favorite length for Ruger single actions), had Doug Turnbull color case the cylinder frame, and had friend John Gallagher do some tuning and install a locking base pin. Haven't hunted with it yet but maybe this year.

Last edited by 6GUNSONLY; 08-15-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Oh that's nice! I've a 41 3 screw that's been refinished that might get cased. Does Turnbull lista price to case color the frame? Needs a usable front sight too.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    It was $200 when I had this one done, but that was several years ago.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 6GUNSONLY View Post
    Here's another .44 you might enjoy seeing. It's a magnum, a 3-screw flattop that was "cosmetically challenged," so I had it cut to 4 5/8" (my favorite length for Ruger single actions), had Doug Turnbull color case the cylinder frame, and had friend John Gallagher do some tuning and install a locking base pin. Haven't hunted with it yet but maybe this year.

That's one sweet looking Flat Top 6GUNSONLY! Be sure to let us know if you "make meat" with it this fall. Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Something about that gun/caliber/bullet combo makes me think of the word "perfection".

Before trying to find a different nose punch try chucking your current punch in a drill and use a mild abrasive (I use maroon scotch brite pads) to soften the sharp edge of the inside of the nose punch. I've had to do that to a couple punches and also some bullet seater plugs. It's purely cosmetic and shouldn't affect anything but's it's something simple to try. Good shootin'!

A little off topic, but I recently shot a depredating doe in my bean patch. 100 yards if it was a foot. 45 acp with a lee 230 grain TC tumble lube. High shoulder shot. she went about 30 feet. A large caliber handgun, with a large flat metplat will slay deer reliably, even at lower speeds. I have taken quite a few deer with a 44 magnum, and over the years my loads get milder and milder. That;s why I finally switched to a 625 and a 1911. 45acp/ 44 special, 45 lc power level is all you need. You just have to work out an accurate load and decide what pistol/ revolver really works best for you.
    I used to be afflicted with magnumitis in pistols and rifles Now, .243s, .223s , and I hope tp aquire a 32 special. Handguns, ....like I say, 45 acp for me, for the revolver/ auto compatibility, but I would be happy ever after with a 45 Long colt or a 44 special.
    NRA Instructor
    Basic Pistol
    Personal Protection Inside the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Chief RSO
    Metallic Reloading

Boolit Bub
    I concur with "the older I get the milder my handloads get" and they work just as well. Velocity does matter, but a heavy-caliber cast lead slug of good design does not depend on high velocity to work well. Higher velocities flatten trajectory somewhat, but I personally feel anything around 900 fps is plenty good for 95% of what most of use use a handgun for, including most hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on your past season's success. I'm over on the NE side of AL but have not been lucky enough to get one with my Ruger FlatTop 44Spec. Perhaps this season will be my time. BTW, those are some purty guns you have. Just got my H&G503 clone mold from MP Molds and have made two casting sessions with it. Bullets vary from 256 to 260grs depending on alloy. Now that Irma's gone, plan on a range day this week to see how they shoot.

Boolit Bub
    Almost neighbors. Post a pic or two of those 503 bullets, if you can. I'd like to see them.

Boolit Buddy
    For those looking into color case hardening, check out Bobby at Tyler Gun Works. His work is awesome to say the least. He's been doing 1911s for Republic Forge and they are jaw dropping. He did a special run of Ruger Bearcats that I've drooled over too ! Check him out !

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The only .44 Specials I have owned are a Charter Bulldog and a Taurus, which is a slightly more substantial gun, but not much. Not sure either would handle those kinds of loads and would be painful to shoot if they could.

Nice to see guys using guns with ballistics like this to take deer. Seems like everybody wants to load monster loads to handgun hunt. All are nice deer, congrats on a good hunt with a good weapon.
    Rich,
    If your Bulldog and Taurus are legal length for your state a load of 6 grains of Unique and a cast 240-255 grain Keith style bullet will do the trick every time . My youngest son killed his first handgun killed deer last season with my stainless Target Bulldog . It dropped and did not get up at the first shot but was still breathing when he got to it so he gave it a second shot to finish it off . It wasn't gonna get up but he didn't want it to suffer . I shoot the same gun with 7.5 grains and a Keith 255 but I am a nut and I don't really advise anyone else to do so . Tennessee requires a 4" barrel which the target Bulldog has , my dads old original Bulldog is shorter so is not legal but would do the job just as well if it were legal.

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I just bought a smith 24-3 and have another ruger flat top bisley 4 5/8 blued on the way. my load is a 429421 that drops a bit heavy with straight ww about 260gr I heat it up with 15gr of 2400 and a standard primer. the special is special.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_4533.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	205425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_4532.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	205426

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12