Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: curved butt plate T/C Renegade

Banned

curved butt plate T/C Renegade

Well this is what happens when I take a couple of days off. My mind wanders into dangerous territory when left idle.

I have my T/C Renegade out looking at it. It has the optional 1:66" round ball barrel (courtesy of Black Powder Bill) and shoots great.

I am also looking at a Lyman Great Plains rifle, I really like the way they look.

So, of course, my alter ego "shadetree gunsmith" started whispering in my ear. "All ya gotta do is grind here, file here, chisel this and sand that and voila your Renegade is a spittin' image of the Lyman".

My well grounded self said "it can't be that easy."

Have you guys tried to take a perfectly good Renegade and fit a crescent style butt plate? I also want to change the trigger guard. Track of the Wolf has the parts but they are listed for the T/C Hawken.

Set me straight fellers.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Steve in N CA

I haven't changed the butt plate but did fit a trigger guard from the Hawken shop. A pewter nose cap is on the agenda.
    Ain't nothin hard of you have the right tools - and know how to use 'em.

Boolit Master
    I happen to have a Renegade or two. Never crossed my mind to change out its (shotgun style) Butt Plate to a Cresent plate.. Reason: I find the Renegades original stock {short stocked} for my hold to shoulder fit. Honestly I'd like to find a thick rubber slip over recoil pad for mine and since its a 54 cal and being a dedicated Maxi shooter only. Its recoil > I'd rather have that absorbed by my shoulder than my upper arm that a Cresent stock is properly held too.

Boolit Master
    Because of the Renegade originally having a flat Butt plate and I think a little shorter.
    If you want to install a curved butt plate, and add some lenght to it at the same time, you could go with a Cast Brass plate like the Mowrey used years ago.
    I did another rifle some years back, and wanted to lenghten the LOP.
    So I cast my own Mowrey Style extended plate out of a bunch of Zinc Wheel Weights that I had saved up.
    I intended on playing with the mold and build my skills before I tried to cast one out of Brass or Pewter.
    But someone else liked the rifle with the cast Zinc Butt plate so I sold the rifle as Is.
    It really didnt look that bad.

Boolit Master
    I have a Renegade, that I put a case colored curved buttplate off a H&R Buffalo classic on. It is a shallow curve, and on target gun, with a 36",1" atf, 1-66 GM Barrel that I won in a match. I put the breech on, fixed sights, hot browned, shoots the lights out! I had a guy who had me take his buttplate off his 45/70, install a pad, gave me the plate. The slightly curve plate is better for offhand target shooting, but can get nasty shooting big maxi's.

IME, it's miles easier to drop-in your Renegade into a T/C Hawken stock (google).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    yes, do not butcher the stock............. go cast round balls instead.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I hate crescent butt plates. The 'look' that I like on my Lyman GPH is the forend tip area. The small sculpted area where the ramrod enters the stock is sleek looking compared to the square look of the others.

But, keep in mind I like the look of the Rigby rifles too

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It's not that it's a hard job to do, but remember that you'll change your "length of pull". I've never had a TC so don't know much about them - but if what I'm reading above is an indication that the stocks are already short, then changing to a crescent shaped buttplate is going to make it even shorter as far as length of pull. Guess it all depends on your individual size and fit. If you really want a crescent buttplate, seems better to drop your parts in to the Hawken stock as pietrosuggests? IIRC, I have seen a lot of them listed on flabbay - but the prices on them seem pretty steep IMHO.

Banned
    Well guys, my beautiful wife to the rescue.

I have decided to keep my Renegade bone stock and my wife told me to buy a Lyman Great Plains rifle.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Well guys, my beautiful wife to the rescue.

I have decided to keep my Renegade bone stock and my wife told me to buy a Lyman Great Plains rifle.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Steve in N CA
    Smart wife right there!

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Boolit Master
    I bet she will get the Renegade