RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Source for Sabots?

Boolit Master

Source for Sabots?

Have not loaded shotgun shells for many years, but got a deal on a Mossberg 500 bird/rifled 2-barrel combo I couldn't walk away from.

I'll probably be looking into the 1-ounce Lee Foster slug mold and load it into shot cup wads for cheap practice as some here are doing, but. . .

1. I live in the Kalifornia Kondor Kuddling Kommunist Kollektive. If I for some reason decide to hang up my flat shooting rifles and their Barnes solid copper bullets, I'll need to find something similar I can load in the shotgun.

2. I have relatives that live in Illinois (no rifles allowed for deer) that I may choose to hunt with. Foster slugs would doubtless get it done, but sabots are the option for staying within the letter of the law while flipping off the spirit.

Is anyone selling 12 gauge sabots that allow use of .45 (preferred) or .50 caliber bullets?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

Ballistic Products or Slugs R Us

Boolit Grand Master

There is not a commercial source of the sabot's you want. Slugs R Us sells sabot's that hold .50 bullets, but I found they do not shoot well. I assume they would be very accurate with the hammerhead slug those sabot's were designed for. The reason being, the base is too thin, and blows out with a bullet. The hammerhead slug has a lip around the top to hold it. It's a very similar design to the light field slug. Ballistic products has sold sabot's on and off for a while, but discontinued their latest design last year. I have not shot the lee slugs, but have shot both the lyman 525 and an old slug called the buckbuster. The lyman slug is reasonably accurate, but was not much more than a foster style in a smooth bore for me. I had great success with the buckbuster slug. Unfortunately they were made by a company that went out of business in the late 90's-early 2000's. I have a couple I saved, I always wanted to have someone make a mold for it, but it is a hollow base design (filled with some kind of rubber or silicone). The thing I found with both, is the wad can only handle so much. It says right in the buckbuster load data to start a couple grains low and work up until the wad shears (probably cut at the forcing cone). At that point the slugs were were not that accurate. Wad slugs can be accurate, but you probably wont find accuracy much past 1400 fps. There are lots of people on this forum with way more experience than me though.