Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Cleaning a brass framed Yellow boy after firing BP

Cleaning a brass framed Yellow boy after firing BP

Hi everyone I wanted to know what is a safe way to clean the brass receiver after firing Black power loads.

Is Pure Balistol ok or should it be mixed with water?

I've used a product called 'NeverDull' on mine, but I've never fired black powder in it. You can find it in auto parts stores. It's a treated cotton material. Works great on chrome and aluminum also. All metal can.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Personally I like the brass framed 60 Henry's and the yellow boys when the brass gets a little dark. Just water, dry and oil after use does just fine. If your a X service guy or still in and need the brass to shine the old stand by Brasso or what John listed does well seeing your reflection looking back at you.
    Kurt

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Personally I like the brass framed 60 Henry's and the yellow boys when the brass gets a little dark.
    Kurt - I'm with you. All of my CAS rifles are brass shot with black powder. With the patina on them - they sure do look 'Cowboyish'
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by commando223 View Post
    Hi everyone I wanted to know what is a safe way to clean the brass receiver after firing Black power loads.

Is Pure Balistol ok or should it be mixed with water?
    Don't use it full strength. I mix 7 parts water to 1 part Ballistol and it cleans black powder like no nobodies business. Mind you, it doesn't shine the brass, but it will clean it and steel for that matter.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I mix ballistol 10-1 with water. Also windex multi surface with vinegar is a great BP cleaner Ive used it on bores at the range for years. I would recommend trying it on a piece of scrap brass first though. put some on a small piece of brass or soak the brass in a small amount for a few days to make sure it dosent discolor or cause it to turn green. Be sure with either to oil lightly after use to prevent oxidation.

Boolit Mold
    NevrDull will make it shine like a gold mirror. It will also show every single little nick in the metal.

Boolit Buddy
    Mother's MAG and Aluminum paste polish will also have it shining like a gold mirror. We use it on our brass rails, bell , and fire hose connectors on the Tug boat I work on. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.