Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cast Lead AR9 rifle

Cast Lead AR9 rifle

So I really enjoy the AR platform and have completed several 80% lowers for my AR builds. I'm thinking about a 9mm AR9 for a last 80% lower. Has anyone built one and have you shot cast lead 9mm in it?

Takes a 9m lower. Blowback so just like a pistol. That cheap ugly carbine is probably a better deal.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I put one together from PSA parts with the lower that takes Glock mags. I don't like it at all, especially compared to my Camp Carbine. Too heavy, and I had to swap in a fixed stock with a lead filled full size buffer to keep it from swelling up my brass with even moderate loads. So now I have a nine pound "carbine" that's less powerful than my five pound CavArms AR.

If you want a 9mm carbine just buy a Hi Point IMO.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rock River 9 mm that I shoot 120 gr to 158 gr cast bullets with Hi-Tek coating sized to .357", this is very accurate and never have had a leading problem.

This is really fun to shoot in USPSA PCC class with a Trijicon RMR sight.

Boolit Buddy
    I have built 5 glock mag. lowers.they become a bad habit. Not one of mine has had copper down the barrel. They are accurate as any other AR 15, good luck and enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought an upper from Model 1 sales and use a VM mag block ( use unmodified Uzi mags) in various lowers. Ramped the bolt and I have never had any trouble with mine, cast or jacketed.

Boolit Master
    I'm another who put together a PSA upper with a Glock lower about 6 months ago. Almost have 1K rounds through so far, no problems. I shoot my cast ( Lyman 358242 ) loaded with 4.8 gr. of Unique I put together on my Dillon. Better powder choices out there, but I've got lots of Unique. Leading has not been a issue so far, I lube in a old Lyman 45 sizer and luber, I size to .357, and the lube is some old sticks of RCBS that I'm trying to use up. No tricks to this at all, and I think these loads shoot about as good as this carbine is capable of.
    Chris