Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shopping for a .45 ACP mold

Boolit Bub

shopping for a .45 ACP mold

Hi all, read here some, haven't posted much. A wealth of information and experience here. I'd call myself an "advanced beginner" in casting, have been casting .38/.357 and .44 Special/Mag bullets for many years, pretty comfortable with my results on that. Also cast for my .40-65 Sharps replica rifle.

After many years of not owning or shooting .45 ACP, I have recently acquired two .45s, both Ruger 1911s, an all-steel and an alloy frame Commander-length guns. Obviously, I need a bullet mold for these, and would like some recommendations on one good all-around bullet/mold.

My intended use is casual shooting, maybe some field carry (especially the LW gun). I'd like at least a 4-cavity mold in a SWC or TC design rather than a roundnose. Not a competition shooter, and my volume of loading/shooting for the .45s is probably a few hundred rounds a year. Still, I can't stand to have to buy bullets when I know I could cast equally good or superior bullets myself. You know how we are about that...

I've looked at the Lyman 200 gr. SWC, and at the Lee molds, both 200 in SWC or TC and their 230 grain TC. They have these in their 6-cavity version. Any thoughts on the Lee tumble-lube design bullets vs. traditional luber/sizer design?

I really only want to buy one mold right now (though I know how that goes - my .357 and .44 mold collection has grown over the years). Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on .45 bullets and molds. Thanks much,
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Many newer firearms have pretty short throats so with that a TC or SWC design may likely need to be seated pretty deep to due to the full diameter front drive bands. The Lee traditional 200 grain SWC (H&G style design) would be a decent choice and if you go with the Lee 230 TC it may be likely that you have to seat pretty deep for a shorter than normal COAL.

May suggest that you wait until it comes in and in the mean time see if some of the forum members here could sent you some samples to work with before you buy.

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the 45-200E from Accurate Molds. Tom bills it as his favorite 45 ACP boolit. It has performed perfectly in every .45 I've tried (1911, CZ 97, G30, G21). Worth every penny because you get a quality mold that will last as long as you do.

I have both Lee 200gr. SWC molds The 200gr TL boolit does not feed 100% in my Colt 1991A1 or my O.M. Colt The H&G #68 style feeds 100% in both guns . It is my every day carry load.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    I have occasional feed issues with my 68 clone, I know its probably the amount of freebore in the barrels though not related to the round. The MP 452-200gr HP functions just as good as factory ball ammo for me.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I would agree with the Accurate 45-200E though I prefer the 45-230E for the extra weight. Actually, the Truncated Cone design is ideal where you are loading for multiple pistols which probably have different throats. Seat the bullet so that the case mouth meets the start of the conical taper and you are good. I have the 45-230E as a 4 cavity but it is available as a 5 holer and the price is right as is the incredible delivery time. You will not find a more precise, well made mould than an Accurate.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

If you are concerned about short throats in your pistol barrel, get a bullet mold that has a small step in front of the front drive band. This makes it so the throat and rifling never touches the boolit nose.
    Your only concern then is how much of the drive band shoulder to leaved outside the case if any.
    This works for nearly all nose designs.

Boolit Grand Master

I would get the Lee 452-200-SWC , as this is a proven design in feeding and there is no issue with deep seating...it's designed to be seated to the top edge of the band.
    I have heard spotty results with the Tumble Lube designs. If you are going to tumble lube a double cavity try mould would not be expensive.
    If you plan to powder coat , the conventional lube grooved will work just fine.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    If you are concerned about short throats in your pistol barrel, get a bullet mold that has a small step in front of the front drive band. This makes it so the throat and rifling never touches the boolit nose.
    Your only concern then is how much of the drive band shoulder to leaved outside the case if any.
    This works for nearly all nose designs.
    This is exactly what I did when I designed a 230 grain round nose flat point over at accurate molds.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the great, informative replies! Looking at Accurate molds, wow, he has a dizzying variety of molds available. Will probably end up ordering one of theirs. Anyone have any experience with any of the mid-weight bullet designs - the 215-220 trainers?

Boolit Master
    I designed the 230 V over there as a ball style nose with just enough front drive band to seat to and not have any full diameter outside the case.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230V-D.png

Boolit Master
    I have had great success with the Lee 200 TL SWC. I have a couple of other 45 molds, both hollow points, one from NOE and one from MP that are exceptionally well made. Still, the cheap old Lee six banger shoots just as well on paper.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

A SWC bullet is not a good choice for carry...unless it's a hollow point. SWC bullet noses push material away from the rest of the bullet. Leaving a smaller than caliber hole in the material.

A WFN is a much better choice.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    And right now he's having a 25% off sale with free shipping.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    And right now he's having a 25% off sale with free shipping.
    someones an enabler
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I have had very good luck with an MP HG-68 clone and after getting my dies set properly it feeds in every .45 I've tried it in.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I have had very good luck with an MP HG-68 clone and after getting my dies set properly it feeds in every .45 I've tried it in.
    Me too

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    someones an enabler
    This group is the biggest bunch of enablers on the internet lol

If you are looking at the Lee 200 grain designs, I just shot the best group I ever fired with my 1911 45ACP with the Lee TL452-200-SWC. No failures to feed in my Springfield Mil-Spec.
    I have also had good luck with the Lee H&G 68 clone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast