Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cimarron 1873 on the way. Bullet Suggestions?

Boolit Master

Cimarron 1873 on the way. Bullet Suggestions?

Hi Guys and gals.

I have a Cimarron 1873 short rifle in 357 on the way. I have a couple moulds for the cartridge (358156, 358495, lee 356-120TC that drops big enough) but i'm looking for something that will be a little heavier and feed well. I was wondering what everyone thought of the lee 358-158 RF?
    Seems the nose would feed well and you still have some flat point for the thump on game.
    Thanks!

This is what I use in my three .357 leverguns. It's from Accurate.http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-158V-D.png
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Bump up from the dead.

Any other suggestions? Not sure I want to dive into an acccurate mould just yet as the Lee version of that bullet is a little clunky when cycling.

Just got around to trying them now. I was shooting some RN and TC with good results but they run 130 and 120 grains respectively and I like a little more bullet weight for fun. Figure it could double as a good hunting bullet (in my fantasies about MA allowing rifles to hunt deer)

I don't have a lever gun in .35 but I love that bullet.

With the round nose it feeds in everything, yes even in 9mm's. (my Hipoint 9mm carbine loves those)

I have used it a lot in my .357 mag single shot handi rifle.

And I have dropped them into .40sw brass and made them into round nosed jacketed rounds for my .444marlin. I just wished I'd bought it as a 6 cavity not a 2.

My Win/Miroku 1873 loves the RCBS 158 gr. RNFP. I see this mold at Midway often for $60.00 outstanding price for quality iron mold.

Boolit Master

I have a 6 banger Lee 358-158 RF mold. My Win/Miroku 1873 loves it. cheap mold, makes a TON of boolits in a short time. Shoots straight.

Boolit Man
    I use the Arsenal 359-155 Gr RF (5 cavity) in my Win/Miroku 1873 and it works real well.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the Lee 358-158RF and the 358-125RF. Both in 6 cavity. Both work excellent in my Cimarron/Uberti and Marlin 1894. Have had zero problems in 38spl or 357 brass. And the 358-158RF hits like a sledge on skunks, armadillos, and coyotes out to 75yrds.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I like the Lyman 358665. Bevel base, easy to load, easy to chamber, good all around cowboy bullet.
    This one is an HP, but the flat nose works just fine without the HP.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

So I messed with the Lee a little more and noticed in feeds fine when loaded in357 cases.
    I guess it just needs a little longer OAL to give the proper presentation angle.

Can anyone tell me what the meplat diameter is on the Lyman bullet?

I’m thinking if it’s just a touch narrower than the Lee it may work out perfect for my needs.