Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silver "amassing"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    Rember there is a butcher for every bull
    Tis True
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Salt is one of the staples of life. And a box of salt sealed into a vacumn sealed bag stays good forever. As does a 10 lb sack of sugar. Honey is another good one.

Prague mix for curing bacon/hams is another. Just be careful with it, read directions.

Instead of bleach I bought 4 1lb bottles of the chemical they make bleach from. 1 tablespoon for 2 gallons. Store bought bleach has about a one year shelf life. Dry chemical in a sealed bottle will stay usable for decades. And it can be used to purify water, disinfect surgical tools in a pinch, plus lots of other things.

Moderator Emeritus

I have 5 100 pound bags of salt stashed in the pantry. And worst case softener salt is edible, just not as pure. Bulk salt from the feed store, good enough for meat curing if needed!

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salt would be more useful than precious metals in many places.

{I happen to have more salt than precious metals myself. I find it more useful ...like for preserving & flavoring foods..LOL My oldest son is the one with the silver coinage. He lives in a city. I live in a rural community. He would use his to get him & his family to me if needed. Where ya live & where you would like to end up, might be something to take into account.}

Interesting topic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    Rember there is a butcher for every bull
    Remember....And never forget it.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have 5 100 pound bags of salt stashed in the pantry. And worst case softener salt is edible, just not as pure. Bulk salt from the feed store, good enough for meat curing if needed!
    +1 Yep.

Same with the "pool chlorine shock stuff". ( I forget the chemical name that makes "chlorine" to purify water) There is a lot of things worth way more than Silver & Gold in a lot of places.... Just have to remember... "Never put all of your eggs in one basket.".

Unless maybe at Christmas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azcj749wMIU
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Funny you mention salt....I keep a few extra boxes of kosher salt and buy the cooking stuff in 5lb bags. It really is the difference between food that tastes blah and awesome for us. Never know when the deep freeze will go on the fritz and I have to cook/salt all the meat instead of it spoiling.

I got a second copy of that recently on Audible so I could listen to it again during my commute. Any other recommendations along that genre? Ready Player One was pretty enjoyable as well except for Wil Wheaton being the voice actor selected .
    Going Home by A. American
    Lights Out by David Crawford

+1 Yep. Just have to remember... "Never put all of your eggs in one basket.".
    Good advice! That's why the French lost at Dien Bien Phu. They put all their Basques in one exit.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Good advice! That's why the French lost at Dien Bien Phu. They put all their Basques in one exit.
    Nice pun

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Salt is one of the staples of life. And a box of salt sealed into a vacumn sealed bag stays good forever. As does a 10 lb sack of sugar. Honey is another good one.

Prague mix for curing bacon/hams is another. Just be careful with it, read directions.

Instead of bleach I bought 4 1lb bottles of the chemical they make bleach from. 1 tablespoon for 2 gallons. Store bought bleach has about a one year shelf life. Dry chemical in a sealed bottle will stay usable for decades. And it can be used to purify water, disinfect surgical tools in a pinch, plus lots of other things.
    20lbs in mylar bags. 10lbs in 2 locations. Sugar the same way. Several large jars of honey. Several bottles of bleach, they were free, rotated. In a worst case scenario cleanliness will keep you alive.

Purify drinking straws, rice, dried beans etc.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Nice pun
    Yes it was.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Banned

don't get me wrong. I would probably say that things like silver and gold will have some value if shtf. Its just to ingrained I our psych to crave shinny things. Problem with it is theres things you can buy today with that silver that will be worth a heck of a lot more then plain silver if it happens. THings like salt, rice, beans, guns, ammo ect. I know if shtf id feel lot better with a 1000 dollars in ammo and food then I would some shinny dimes. There will be enough people trying to swap there gold and silver for food and essentials. Pick it up then when it is much cheaper then buying it today to squirrel away. Accumulate it when it takes a bar of gold to buy a 2lb bag of rice. not your entire savings account and the money you could be using to by stuff you will REALLY need.

Boolit Master
    I can't imagine anything better than Glock 9 mm's and ammo for them.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Great discussion, lots of good views and opinions.

It has been said that "those who have the gold makes the rules, aka The Golden Rule".

However, when the SHTF those that have the survival essentials will make the rules. It will be primarily up to them to determine the value of precious metals.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Agree with most of above. In worst case scenarios precious metals may not have value of other necessary tangibles such as food, water, ammo, weapons, etc. As an investment, I prefer representative securities such as GLD where there is a legitimate market to buy & sell, rather than some sleazy pawnbroker or coin dealer who will sharply discount value when you try to sell.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 Yep.

Same with the "pool chlorine shock stuff". ( I forget the chemical name that makes "chlorine" to purify water) There is a lot of things worth way more than Silver & Gold in a lot of places.... Just have to remember... "Never put all of your eggs in one basket.".

Unless maybe at Christmas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azcj749wMIU
    Sodium or Calcium Hypochlorite. Make sure to buy the pure stuff not the stuff mixed with algaecides, fungecides etc.. I bought a pool tablet for $1 at WalMart last week end and made some bleach from it yesterday. 2 TBS of crushed tablet with 3 cups of water makes bleach. 8 drops of this per gallon of water will disinfect it. Do not trust my math, do it yourself but I think this is correct.

5% Calcium or Sodium Hypochorite to 95% Water for the bleach solution.

Boolit Master
    Salt has built many empires, your body needs it. You need it for curing, canning, seasoning and many other uses. it will again be needed.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

I agree about salt but I think its barter value may not be as great as it should. preserving with salt is almost a lost art, those that know how to do it already have a large stash of salt. you can purchase salt blocks at a farm store and just stack them in a dry place.

Moderator Emeritus

GLD is backed by 1/10(or less) of the gold they have sold. Good luck cashing out too during a banking run!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Agree with most of above. In worst case scenarios precious metals may not have value of other necessary tangibles such as food, water, ammo, weapons, etc. As an investment, I prefer representative securities such as GLD where there is a legitimate market to buy & sell, rather than some sleazy pawnbroker or coin dealer who will sharply discount value when you try to sell.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, what happens if the SHTF never happens? There is going to be a lot of folks with soggy salt or storage space full of "just in case".
    Silver may tarnish, which is no real problem, but gold will always be the same bright metal regardless of how it's kept, and is recognized everywhere.
    I know where to put my trust in the future and where to put my offering for its safety. I don't think the salt, beans, or ammo will fit in the plate when it's passed on Sunday.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Well, what happens if the SHTF never happens? There is going to be a lot of folks with soggy salt or storage space full of "just in case".
    Silver may tarnish, which is no real problem, but gold will always be the same bright metal regardless of how it's kept, and is recognized everywhere.
    I know where to put my trust in the future and where to put my offering for its safety. I don't think the salt, beans, or ammo will fit in the plate when it's passed on Sunday.
    We use & replenish, then stock up more as we use what we have, when & while we can....
    Kind of like with reloading & casting supplies, isn't it....

So, if SHTF doesn't happen , so be it. We still have what we have & in my case, my sons will have it.

Kind of like the parable/fable of the grasshopper & ant, IIRC.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast