Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brute force or stealth?

Boolit Master
    Don't have the large quantity that the OP and others may have on hand however the type and value span a wide spectrum. I really like the decoy approach and a Sam's Club safe with the Remington pumps and Glocks should satisfy a burglar as having found the cache more so than junk and this modest value is covered by an insurance rider. Your self defense and common hunting guns are fairly readily accessible and yet safe from children and house guests. The really valuable stuff is secured in such a way that it is hidden yet at the same time not in an entire walk-in room. It is much easier to fashion (and keep secret) a hidden wall or a closet than a whole room.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Don't forget fire, I've been thru that nightmare! Now that is my primary concern and integrated into the security system.
    Indeed.

I do fire and water damage restoration for a living.

About 10 years ago, I did a fire rebuild for a gentleman who had a firearms collection that most of us could only dream of having. I don't know the exact total, but MANY Garands and M1 Carbines were part of it.

He had a 15'x15' vault built into the home. Insulated and double sheetrocked CMU walls with a mega vault door. He lost everything in the fire, which started on his reloading bench in the airplane hangar attached to his house. Problem was, the ceiling for the vault was the joists for the second story of the house. Once the fire started, it quickly burned through the floor above and dumped into the vault.

Most high end gun safes go a GREAT job of protecting firearms from both fire and water. There is a key component to this, however, at least according to the company that sold me mine; the door seals are somewhat dependent upon the initial heat of the fire to swell and do their job. If they don't seal before water is applied, they can leak.

Boolit Master
    Start by building a house with a hidden 4'x4' room in a place not expected. Nuff said.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Start by building a house with a hidden 4'x4' room in a place not expected. Nuff said.
    If it is in a basement make sure you seal the walls. I would suggest hiding you reloading equipment too.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two safes, but find them to be a pain. Insurance and an alarm system is what works for me. I have no heirlooms, so everything I have can be replaced. $75,000 of insurance is not that expensive and it covers every possible loss.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Just by way of sharing, here's the UK version. (Not a recommendation)

To acquire a firearm in the UK you must have a licence. There's a lot about that I could say but we're talking security here so I'll save that for another time.

One of the requirements that must be complied with is security and that requires, at least a suitable cabinet, the specifications for which are ensconced in the British Standards system. Basically a steel construction with jemmy proof doors locked by 2 five lever locks or a multiple shoot bolt design. This must be bolted to a (usually) load bearing wall of brick construction with usually four decent sized rag bolts. An exception to this is if the safe is very large, at least 20 rifles (no pistols here don't forget) and could not be carried due to it's weight. Ammunition must be kept in a separate safe, which is most often constructed as part of the rifle safe. This installation is inspected by a 'firearms enquiry officer' before the licence is granted. Further measures, such as a monitored alarm and other 'target hardening' measures such as higher than usual standard locks on doors and windows may be required if the neighbourhood is 'rough'. Breaching the security requirements, E.G. leaving a rifle out on a stand while you are at work, is a criminal offence which carries a fine and possible prison sentence.

Security of the keys is paramount. A most respectable person who owned firearms was out one day when a licensing enquiry officer came calling. On being told he was out by the man's elderly mother, also of a character beyond reproach he told her that he only needed to check a couple of serial numbers at which she said she would get the keys to save him having to return. The man's Firearms Certificate was revoked and his firearms had to be disposed of. He challenged this in the appeal court and lost. The police were recently moaning that they could not just enter a firearms owner's home whenever they wanted to in order to check the firearms security as if they asked, they could be refused. Without going into the technicalities they tried to say they couldn't obtain a warrant for such a visit but this was a lie as how it could be done was explained in a heavyweight report by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary. Never assume a police officer is out to help you, never trust a police officer. (I was one for 22 years)

I own 22 rifles and a few shotguns. I have three such safes, not being bright enough to buy a gert big one in the first place. They are a PITA but give some peace of mind.

I will mention that, oddly enough you might think, ownership of firearms in the UK is still, so far, a 'right' and not a privilege, contrary to and to the surprise of, many who find this out. The Firearms Act of 1968 states that providing a person is of good character, can comply with the security requirements, and has 'good reason' (basically, has access to land to shoot live quarry or is a member of a shooting club) then he 'shall' be granted a certificate.

That should cheer up most firearm owning Americans.

Boolit Master
    Don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but anyone with half a whit of internet savvy can find the address of any of the posters on this forum. Any hidden room won't take long to find if the thief knows there is something of value in the house. I personally don't have half a whit so there is no worry about me finding your address.

I think a hidden room is better than nothing, but a good safe(s) is a better way to go.

Ha, by that logic....we can all assume anyone posting on these forums has guns and by extension are targets for burglary. Simply posting on castboolits in general exposes us all. I think it's safe to assume just about anyone posting on this forum has something worth stealing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but anyone with half a whit of internet savvy can find the address of any of the posters on this forum. Any hidden room won't take long to find if the thief knows there is something of value in the house. I personally don't have half a whit so there is no worry about me finding your address.

I think a hidden room is better than nothing, but a good safe(s) is a better way to go.

I await your identifying me. The NSA you're not !

Boolit Master
    only problem with hidden room is there will be a trail to it. marks on the wall where you open it scratches on the floor. or some other tell tail signs.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    only problem with hidden room is there will be a trail to it. marks on the wall where you open it scratches on the floor. or some other tell tail signs.
    Easily handled using a pocket hiding door that stays in the same marks that has been used for many years that was undetectable by experts at the time. This is used in many top security doors for private homes.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12