Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3M Lead Tape

Boolit Man

3M Lead Tape

I acquired about 20 lbs of rolls of lead tape. The tape is 1/4 " wide and has sticky stuff like any other tape. I'm thinking it's possible to get a large percentage of the lead. I know it'll probably smoke and have lot of residue. Has anyone tried to recover this kind of material?

Can't be that much different than SOWW. Lots of sawdust and wax and light her up. Flames will reduce the smoke.

retumbo is right, keep the residue lit not smoking and it will be much nicer to be around. Also, dont add any more in after it goes molten or the tape residue (if it is the thick spoungy stuff) is likely to bubble and spatter molten lead. So try to do it all at once.

Boolit Master
    You might pause and think before you melt that down. It is possible that folks might want to swap known lead for some of this to use for other applications. It might be worth the time to just run an add in the S&S and see what sort of trades you turn up.

Boolit Grand Master

All good points! I have enough lead that I would do an acid test for zinc and include in in my next batch of soft lead. Nice little score!

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys, btw the tape's sticky stuff is a thin clear film.

Boolit Master
    what was it used for?

Boolit Man
    Wire splices and emi shielding.

Boolit Man
    Fyi Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pb Foil.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	201293

Boolit Master

EMI shielding? Are you sure it is lead?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Charliemac View Post
    Wire splices and emi shielding.
    Fyi Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pb Foil.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	201293
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    EMI shielding? Are you sure it is lead?
    What's the part number?

My quick google searches seem to indicate it's aluminum.
    The only other 3M EMI shielding tape that came up was copper.
    Maybe you have "tinned" copper tape?

there were no results indicating tape with Lead content when I used "Lead" or "Pb" as keywords
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

if it's aluminum, it probably work good for Beagling a mold.
    I use some 3M foil tape for that, as the 3M adhesive can handle quite a bit of heat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Buddy

didnt take much of a search to turn up lead tape made by 3M, all kinds on a google search. https://www.uline.com/BL_6891/3M-420...IH2A&gclsrc=ds
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Man
    Shielding is just a guess, maybe part some high voltage splice kit? It's lead alright, unless it's some kind of exotic metal. I'll ask around maybe one of ol'timers might know about it.

Shielding is just a guess, maybe part some high voltage splice kit? It's lead alright, unless it's some kind of exotic metal. I'll ask around maybe one of ol'timers might know about it.
    Probably for stained glass work

A very quick search turned up this fact sheet from 3M. The link is to the info below, it's just easier to read on the linked page.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/9...ed-and-421.pdf

3 Lead Foil Tape 420 (Linered) • 421

Technical Data April 2015

Product Description 3M™ Lead Foil Tape 420 and 421 are backed with a rubber adhesive, offering excellent conformability in a variety of application conditions, indoors and out.

Product Construction Backing Adhesive Color Liner Standard Roll Length Lead foil Rubber (green) Dark silver Clear, easy-release film (3M tape 420) 36 yds. (33 m)

Typical Physical Properties
    Note: The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only and should not be used for specification purposes.
    ASTM Test Method
    Adhesion to Steel: 3M tape 420 45 oz./in. width (49 N/100 mm) D-3330 3M tape 421 45 oz./in. width (34 N/100 mm)
    Tensile Strength : 3M tape 420 20 lbs./in. width (350 N/100 mm) D-3759 3M tape 421 15 lbs./in. width (263 N/100 mm) D-3759
    Elongation at Break: 3M tape 420 12% D-3759 3M tape 421 14%
    Backing Thickness: 3M tape 420 4.7 mils (0.12 mm) D-3652 3M tape 421 4.0 mils (0.10 mm)
    Tape Thickness: 3M tape 420 6.8 mils (0.17 mm) D-3652 3M tape 421 6.3 mils (0.16 mm)
    Liner Thickness: 3M tape 420 3.5 mils (0.09 mm) D-3652 Temperature Use Range: -60° to 225°F (-51° to 107°C) Water Vapor 0.1g H2O/100 sq. in./24 hrs. D-3833 Transmission Rate: (1.55 g/m2/24 hrs.)
    Weight: 3M tape 420 0.075 lbs./yd./in. width (0.0375 kg/m/24 mm) 3M tape 421 0.06 lbs./yd./in. width (0.034 kg/m/24 mm)
    3M™ Lead Foil Tape 420 (Linered) • 421

Features • Very good conformability.
    • Good thermal properties and will perform over a wide variety of temperature conditions (-60° to 225°F or -54° to 106°C). It has been used at higher temperatures for shorter duration.
    • Electrically and thermally conductive.
    • Can be die-cut into specific shapes.
    • This material when disposed of separately is classified as RCRA hazardous waste. Please consult applicable Federal, State and local regulations for proper disposal.
    • Elevated lead levels in water may result from long term submersion of this product.
    • Best results are obtained when applied to a clean dry surface above 32°F (0°C). Also, by “feathering” the edges – rubbing the tape down with a smooth-edged plastic piece (or similar object) – the tape can be made to better conform to the substrate. This is especially important if the tape is to be used as a “thief” in electroplating where the edges must fully contact the metal base.

Application Ideas • Electroplating
    • Radiation barrier
    • Moisture barrier
    • Chemical milling
    • X-ray plate masking
    • Maskant during paint stripping
    • Add weight (balance) to equipment parts (golf clubs, tennis rackets, etc.)

Disposal and Safety Considerations
    • Wear protective gloves and/or wash hands after working with tape.
    • Lead will slowly leach into water when submerged. Leaching will accelerate as acidity increases.
    • This material when disposed of separately is classified as RCRA hazardous waste. Please consult applicable Federal, State and local regulations for proper disposal.

Storage Store under normal conditions of 60° to 80°F (16° to 27°C) and 40 to 60% R.H. in the original carton.

Shelf Life To obtain best performance, use this product within 18 months from date of manufacture.

- 2 -
    3M™ Lead Foil Tape 420 (Linered) • 421

Technical Information The technical information, recommendations and other statements contained in this document are based upon tests or experience that 3M believes are reliable, but the accuracy or completeness of such information is not guaranteed.

Warranty, Limited Remedy, and Disclaimer
    Many factors beyond 3M’s control and uniquely with user’s knowledge and control can affect the use and performance of a 3M product in a particular application. User is solely responsible for evaluating the 3M product and determining whether it is fit for a particular purpose and suitable for user’s method of application. Unless an additional warranty is specifically stated on the applicable 3M product packaging or product literature, 3M warrants that each 3M product meets the applicable 3M product specification at the time 3M ships the product. 3M MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION ARISING OUT OF A COURSE OF DEALING, CUSTOM OR USAGE OF TRADE. If the 3M product does not conform to this warranty, then the sole and exclusive remedy is, at 3M’s option, replacement of the 3M product or refund of the purchase price.

Limitation of Liability Except where prohibited by law, 3M will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from the 3M product, whether direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential, regardless of the legal theory asserted, including warranty, contract, negligence or strict liability.

ISO 9001: 2000

This Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division product was manufactured under a 3M quality system registered to ISO 9001: 2000 standards.

3 Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division 3M Center, Building 225-3S-06 St. Paul, MN 55144-1000 800-362-3550 www.3M.com/industrial

- 3 -

Recycled Paper 40% pre-consumer 10% post-consumer
    3M is a trademark of 3M Company. Printed in U.S.A. ©3M 2015 (E)70-0709-5011-1 (4/15)
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

well, I stand corrected.
    I searched emi shielding tape...I should have taken emi shielding out of the keywords.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 08-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Might also be good for lining vice jaws for holding small parts. Could be use useful stuff, I would only melt down as a last resort.

Boolit Man
    The numbers printed on the inside of the roll are #Y9065 4 41316L45.

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like the foil tape they used to use to alarm windows. Break the glass the tape breaks alarm goes off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast