RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My improvised "locking" mold handles

My improvised "locking" mold handles

I was going to buy one of Cabine Tree's Locking handles, and Veral Smith suggested a hose clamp over the handles. I got my 2 brain cells bumping together and came up with this. Before, by holding the mold with my hand, I was getting a 5gr weight ES. With this, I lowered that to 1.2gr with only 4 rejects out of 62 boolits with a preheated mold. Have a look and see what you think. I used 2 o-rings secured to one handle with a coax cable clamp and then super-glued a flap of leather around them for a tab.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1..._98/O-ring.jpg

Ian
    Apprentice Redneck Second Class

Banned
    Unless you're in some full fledge match target competistion, you're wasting your time.

Not to say your idea isn't any good. You just aren't going to notice a difference on a target or animal especially if you aren't shooting those precisely made bullets out of a built to the hilt target rifle.

But if that makes you happy then I guess it is good then.

Joe

In Remebrance

Seems like a good idea to me. How much does it slow down your rythm?

I don't know with this setup, when I first tried it, the o-rings were loose and it was a bit of a pain. I came up with the clamp and the leather tab to simplify it but haven't put it into action yet.

If I continue to have as few culls as I did with that session, it will save me lots of time since I'm not spending 25% of my time casting rejects as I was before and my results will be better quality too.

Ian

Howdy Haywire. 25% of your time casting rejects seems very high. Is this based on weight?

Super Moderator

.................Haywire, a great idea. Simple, cheap and looks like it would be pretty consistant.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

thanks buckshot, seems to work out good for me

Quote Originally Posted by LAH
    Howdy Haywire. 25% of your time casting rejects seems very high. Is this based on weight?
    Looks like my previous response got lost somewhere between here and there.

In all honesty, I think my recent reduction in culls is more due to the appearance of a toaster oven in my reloading area than the o-rings. I started preheating my molds to 425ish before the first pour. I also started putting a couple ingots in there to preheat so my pot temp wouldn't drop so much when I add alloy. I can't remember whether I read that here or over at Graybeard's.

Ian