Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Mauser M48 .308 Target Rifle

Banned

Mauser M48 .308 Target Rifle

i guess i can brag.. but ya notice the name im using "Mauser 98K".. it is because i love all things Mauser.. in fact here is my girl.. i built her a couple years back..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17264340_1287264251361554_6915512422209824379_n.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	201079 her name is Vera.. she has a twin sister named Matilda..

action is a short action M48 Yugo Preduzece 44. barrel is a Norwegian forged target barrel from the Konigsberg plant in Norway.. it is the same barrels that went onto the M67 target/sniper rifles. stock is the original that i cut down and worked the barrel grove out. barrel is free floated entire length.. got a custom turned down bolt handle and a muzzle break of my own design with top porting. you can shoot full power loads and there is no real muzzle rise or felt recoil. scope is a Leatherwood 4-16x44mm with target turrets and parallax adjustment.. i got a cheek piece/rise on the back of the stock covered with a canvas sheath that used to be a mechanics apron that puts my eye at the perfect spot. sling is seat belt..yes im a big ol wuss when it comes to the sling, but on a 12lb rifle the skinny slings dig in too much.. the scope rail is a one piece B-Square dovetail because i do not like the two pieced rails.. the entire rifle come in at a whopping 50 inches long.. i don't care what people say, i like a long barrel. i use H414 powder to load my .308, which is a slow powder and great for long barrels.

Boolit Master
    Very nice! I'll bet the recoil is kinda mild in a 12# rifle with brake. Hows the trigger? Do you hunt with her?
    Aaron

Banned
    not hunted with her yet. i did lighten the trigger up a little and took the double notch out of it. it is a good 3-4lb pull with the original trigger assembly.. recoil is very low. you could hold her out at arms length and not have any problems with full power loads..

I remember seeing those barrels for sale. If you could see fit to give us an accuracy report we would appreciate it. My days of holding a 12 pound rifle at arm's length are probably sadly over.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a Norwegian target barrel several years ago and put it on a sporterized Argentine 1909 I was given. It was parkerized green and had a step turned down at the muzzle and I think 26-27 inches long. I think it has a chrome plated bore . It is a very good barrel and I could have kicked myself for not buying two at the price offered. I ended cutting off the step and still have a long barrel.

You have put together as solid and usable rifle as anyone could want and not spent a fortune doing so. As far as what anyone else says, don't like it go build your own.

Dave

Banned
    yea i got 2 of them and wish i had gotten more.. i got 2 of the rifles built identically. both shoot sub MOA all day.. they do very well with 168gr cast bullets.. at 50m with the cast bullets i can just about put each round in the same hole.. that is the way i got them set up. the one in the pic i call Vera i use for standard velocity jacketed and Matilda i use for lead loads. i never took the step off the end on mine because i already had some plans for it..

Boolit Master
    I used the same barrel to build one of my Yugo 24/47's
    Shoots great ,and the price on the barrel at the time was great.
    Last edited by LAGS; 08-04-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Boolit Master

I like it 98K. I want to see groups shot with this rifle.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Nice build ��
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    That is very nice! Yes, let's see pics of your groups!
    USMC 6638

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	201490

here it is..... this is a 10rnd group done at 73m.. that is as far as i could get in my yard right now.. the bullet was a 165gr LRN .310 bullet.. you might recognize the bullet design, it is the same bullet used in the 8mm mauser.. i run it through my resizing die that i made after i lubed them and that swaged them down to .310 and made them totally round as well as packed the groves full of lube, Vaseline and paraffin with a little bees wax... yea i know it is a little wide, i was just propped up on some crappy saw horses behind my house.. i was using unique pistol powder and small pistol primers..... ask me how im using small pistol primers in a .308 rifle cartridge. lol

Boolit Grand Master

How are you using small pistol primers in 308 case?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

OK I see, good job.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    Nice group. Looks like you are really getting it into the groove.
    Why the small pistol primers?
    re

Banned
    it was an experiment.. i was looking for expedient forms of primers for my lead loads if LRP was not available in emergency situations.. and also in a pinch with this setup i can take a box of any pistol ammo and make ammo for my rifle with it.. just future reference information... also rifle primers here are a lot more expensive than pistol primers and i got a mess load of them..