MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which guns would you keep if you could no longer cast/reload?

Which guns would you keep if you could no longer cast/reload?

Two part question.

1. If you had to give up casting, but could still reload using either commercial cast or jacketed bullets. Would it affect your firearms choices? What are the guns that'd be at the top of your list?

2. If you had to give up both casting and reloading, relying only on factory ammo, what would your firearms choice be? What would you get rid of or avoid, and what would you keep or get?

My answers:

1. I would continue to reload, and my firearms choices would be the same. At present those include a Ruger blackhawk 44 mag, winchester 94 30-30.

2. I would drop the 44 mag in favor for a blackhawk in 357 mag. I'd keep the winchester 30-30. I'd add maybe a 30-06 bolt gun.

~Bazoo

Banned

meh I swage.
    if I didn't reload I probably couldn't shoot enough for it to matter what I had.

Boolit Master
    There is not a single gun I would sell, but it would effect my future purchases. Rounds like the 458 SOCOM, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 45-70, ect would become a lot less appealing to me if I couldn't cast. If I couldn't reload, then there's a couple guns that would probably never be shot again like my Vetterli. I'd keep it nonetheless though.

Still reloading - no changes, no reloading then only common and military chambered firearms
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    If I couldn't reload, then there's a couple guns that would probably never be shot again like my Vetterli. I'd keep it nonetheless though.
    Yep, the Vetterli was my gateway drug to casting.

1. I'd still shoot oddball stuff, just keep reloading with commercial bullets and watch out for sales on blemished bullets or factory seconds.
    2. If I had to give up casting AND reloading, I'd probably sell off some of the biggies--like the S&W 500, Beowulf, 458 Soc, 50 Alaskan, etc... Factory ammo just costs too dang much for those.
    I love guns, tacos, and lead. I use the guns. The guns eat lead. And I eat tacos. I make videos about the first 2 things.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/fullleadtaco

Boolit Grand Master

1. Would just mean I shot less.
    2. I would sell everything except guns chambered for 9mm and 223/308. Only reason for 223 is because I have a bunch of ARs. They're more for "just in case" than anything else.

When I am no longer able to cast or reload, I won't be shooting either.

Someone can come pry my current favorite gun from my cold dead hands. I won't miss it at that point.

I have been stocking .22lr ammo for the last 3 years just in case I want to be able to shoot and can no longer cast/reload.

But in all honesty I don't see any way I'll burn up the ammo I have sitting on the table.
    Just don't shoot as much as I used to.

I would keep all the guns, I only sell losers, ones that can not be made to shoot for one reason or another.

I would be shooting mostly .22lr, some shotgun, probably .357 mag if I needed to kill something.

I don't like the sound of these questions...
    the situation that forced these choices on me would be that I just had a serious quadruple stroke...or fell out of an airplane or off a train or similar event. Maybe a building fell on me...
    I'm laying in the hospital bed and can't move anything but my eyeballs and I can hear you and the kids talking about how your going to divide up all my stuff...

Well...have at it and take it all with you...don't let the door knob hit you where the good Lord split you on your way out!

And don't forget this...to last person leaving, unplug whatever is keeping me lingering as a vegetable!

Until this happens...I ain't giving up anything!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I'm laying in the hospital bed and can't move anything but my eyeballs and I can hear you and the kids talking about how your going to divide up all my stuff...
    Yup, won't make any difference then & I won't care.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I went for years without casting...so that would not affect my selection of guns.

If I had to give up reloading, I would get rid of most of my guns. I would keep the .22's, 9mm's, .223's, .308's, and 12 gauges guns. But I cannot envision ever giving up reloading, because at that point I will likely not be able to shoot either.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

If I were to no longer cast my own?
    the First to go, would be a Custom Jap type 38 in 257Rx6.5

If I were to no longer cast and reload my own?
    I'd probably sell or store all but the following 3 guns.
    Rem 870, 12 ga
    Ruger MKII, 22LR
    S&W 27, 357 mag

edit: maybe I'd keep a 9mm or a 40 ??? but it'd be the least fired.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    If I couldn't cast or reload, I would watch the advertisements at a local discounts sporting goods store and continue to shoot what they have on sale regularly. 9mm and 223's are always on sale along with 20 ga and 12 ga. Occasionally 30/30, 308, and 357/38.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting question. I would go back to what i reloaded before this sight and its enablers convinced me to spend all of my money on casting gear and lead. Revolver rounds 357, 41 Mag and 45LC. Rifles never interested me much for some reason but probably 30-30 and 308/30-06 or whatever
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I'm thinking the .22 rimfires and shotguns would start getting shot a lot more.

Boolit Master

I would still shoot but not as much.
    2 this is where it gets complicated. I wouldn't sell anything because maybe something would change and I could cast and load again.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

If I had to give up casting some very loved rifles would not be sold off but would not get to go to the range very often, they would include 9.3x62mm Mauser, 444 marlin, 45-70 Gov. .375 H&H Mag., .458 Win. Mag.

If reloading was also out a trip to the range would be a major finical issue I would have to take common cheap and easy to get ammo to the range ,like .223Rem. 9mm. hunting would have to be done with guns that factory ammo was on the store shelf at reasonable cost
    like 25-06 Rem., 223Rem and 45-70
    and many loved guns may never see the out side of my safe again 25-06 AI , .280Rem.AI ,9.3x62mm Mauser, 444 Marlin , .458 SOCOM ,6.5 Gendal , and more this would cause me night mares to think about it being real, Time has all ready caused me to go to most of what goes to the range is .223 Rem. and 9mm as it is.

Boolit Master
    Like others have said, I would simply shoot a lot less centerfire ammo.

I would probably get rid of my 44-40s just because all the factory ammo I have had experience with is undersized and underpowered, besides the 44WCF really only shines as a black powder round. As a smokeless round, it doesn't have anything on the 44 Special.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Vendor Sponsor

1. not casting would not affect any guns that I would keep .. might just shoot a few less often

2. I would keep 22 lr , 223, 308 and 45 acp
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

I would keep all my guns, I dont buy them just because I reload and cast..... But if I could only keep one then I would have to keep my #1 in 223, I have had this gun since 1978 and is the only one I have that I will not sell for no price.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast