RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15/16" Smoothbore

Boolit Master

15/16" Smoothbore

What is the largest a 15/16" octagon barrel can be bored to for a smooth barrel?

Initially I had been told that 28 ga (.550") was about it. However Lyman .54 cal PRB barrels have grooves around .560" making a 26 ga (.564") the minimum one could go to as a max. However it seems I came across someone who stated Bobby Hoyt made his a .58 cal (roughly 24 ga).

As I'd certainly love to have a drop-in barrel for my Lyman that I could do some turkey hunting with I'd much prefer the largest gauge I could get and would certainly work on patterns as a smoothbore but if I couldn't concentrate enough pellets at 25 yds I'd have a screw-in choke installed.

Now I've felt that a 28 ga was too small for turkey, though I know some do and that some even use a .410. But this is also with a modern shotgun for on what I understand outside of one guy. Some use these for dove and do well (I'm not that great of a wing shooter needing a bit more shot than that!).

And that one guy has found that his smoothbore does well with a heavier powder charge and 1 oz shot load (essentially a BP 16 ga load assuming he used ~75 grns of powder). This bends the typical understanding that a square load patterns best in a BP gun. According to the max loads given for a .54 cal and a conical this type of load is well within reason and something I'd work up to if a square load didn't perform.

Boolit Master
    I have a GM .54 smoothbore barrel Ive been using on a GPR stock for years, and it works great. But my turkey load is more along the lines of the heavy load you mentioned. My rabbit/squirrel/dove load is a typical 28ga load.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

You might call Mr. Hoyt and see what he has to say about it. FWIW, I have an antique 14 gauge fowler that starts out around 15/16" at the breech, but is paper thin at the muzzle. The limiting factor is your powder charge. If you're not hunting elephants, I'd say .58 is doable.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

The shotgun generaly has less pressure than a rifled gun so the barrel dimensions are a little more flexible. I would not go any more than 58 calibre in a 15?16 in barrel max and then I would want my loads in the 9000 psi range at the max. Say 80 grains of FFg and 1 1/4 Oz of shot. Although the barrel would likely stand more. Remember this will be shot in a rifle stock and not a shotgun stock.

Boolit Master
    I had run across one account of a 15/16" being turned into a 24 ga. Many claim the walls would be too thin and no one would do the work.

I'd only care to take it to 24 ga as many also claim anything beyond a square load just doesn't work well, and I'd not feel so comfy using 55 grns and 3/4 oz of shot unless he were mighty close. Maybe if I tried Wile E Coyote's method of a trail of bird seed right to my position... But then it never worked for him and often backfired. ��

Boolit Master
    Part of me has also contemplated just going 28 ga and using modern shot cups. I recently found a site that sounds interesting. It includes 24 ga, which I thought was only a muzzleloader gauge.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/mob.../products/661/

Banned

call bobby hoyt and get the opinion of an expert who's business is barrel making and modifying.

Boolit Master
    Bobby Hoyt is especially who I'd call. But I know he's busy and wouldn't bother him until I'm ready to do something about this, which will likely be after Christmas as SWMBO wants to change it up and so I'll stick it in the "something you need" section since I haven't asked for firearms related stuff in a couple of years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    The shotgun generaly has less pressure than a rifled gun so the barrel dimensions are a little more flexible. I would not go any more than 58 calibre in a 15?16 in barrel max and then I would want my loads in the 9000 psi range at the max. Say 80 grains of FFg and 1 1/4 Oz of shot. Although the barrel would likely stand more. Remember this will be shot in a rifle stock and not a shotgun stock.
    80 grns and 1 1/4 oz would be about the max I'd see being needed (12 ga load there).

The stock I have is a Lyman Deerstalker. Kinda like a modern shotgun.

My smoothbore T/C Renegade was a .56cal (Model 56SB), in which I occasionally shot using 28ga shotcups & over shot wads for small game.

The SB barrel was 1" across-the-flats, and I would think that T/C figured that a .56cal was the upper limit for a 1" bbl, never mind for a thinner 15/16" bbl.

I normally used a PRB for deer in the 56SB, back when my state mandated smoothbore frontstuffers for deer.

Last edited by pietro; 08-25-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

My smoothbore T/C Renegade was a .56cal (Model 56SB), in which I occasionally shot using 28ga shotcups & over shot wads for small game.

The SB barrel was 1" across-the-flats, and I would think that T/C figured that a .56cal was the upper limit for a 1" bbl, never mind for a thinner 15/16" bbl.

I normally used a PRB for deer in the 56SB, back when my state mandated smoothbore frontstuffers for deer.

Lyman makes their 15/16" barrels in .54 cal with .560" grooves and show a max charge of 110 grns of 2F or 90 grns of 3F for a 450 grn Maxi.

And the one account of a 15/16" being turned into a 24 ga was made by Bobby Hoyt. But others have said the walls would be too thin, and it does seem a bit so, but then I don't understand pressures vs barrel thickness.

Boolit Master
    Investarms used to offer their "hawken" in .58 caliber-- and it was a 15/16" barrel. I used to have one. A friend of mine has a TC 1" with a 20ga (.620") smoothbore, so you can definitely go bigger than .54" in a 15/16" and bigger than .56" in a 1". Now what may change that is how deep the dovetails or screw holes in any particular barrel are, but that's where you get into more than just the outside diameter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Bob Hoyt bored my 1 inch TC 56 smooth bore out to 62 cal (20 ga)and it shoots turkey killer patterns @ 25yds with 5 shot and 80 grain 2F ,and it balances better with that big hole ,and squirrels are in big trouble / Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 08-26-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Boolit Master
    Now I am looking forward to having a smoothbore as it opens up so many options. But my utmost hope is that I can get a good turkey load. And with that in mind, and initially assuming 26 ga was about as large as I could go I figured maybe just going 28 ga and adding screw-in chokes (yeah I'm not exactly a purist) would be the key.

So with 24 ga being an option and with an average 20 ga load I can keep it a cylinder bore or go 28 ga and choke it. Which would you choose and why?

Boolit Master
    I would say it depends on where you hunt and any restrictions you have to limit yourself with. I mean, things like toxic vs. non-toxic shot, shot size, weather or not you plan on using a choke, etc. the devil is in the details.

Boolit Master
    15/16s across its flats. I doubt such barrel could be re-bored large than 52 cal.

Boolit Master
    We have no restrictions outside of shotguns. I'd use lead shot and depending on how much I can get to pattern well and penetrate a tuna can with would decide on what size (7 1/2 to 5).

I'd really like to pattern well enough to 30 yds at the least but would much prefer a bit longer. I'd almost prefer to leave it a cylinder bore if I knew it would pattern well. It seems most people claim the only way to get a good pattern is with a square load which leaves it a little light for my liking, though a full/extra full choke may well make a big difference. 3/4 of shot at 1050 fps seems a bit light and with a low velocity I'd likely need to up the shot size further reducing the pellet count and numbers on the can. But then with a choke I feel I certainly should be able to up the powder charge and velocity.

Safe path and just go 28 ya with a screw-in choke?

Oh, and I was most interested in jug choking but couldn't find anyone who does it on anything smaller than a 20 ga. I'd go that route were it an option. No fuss. Otherwise I have to swap chokes (I'd not care to load with bare threads) to load and to shoot.

I must admit I've never hunted turkey despite being in my mid 40's. So I'm not sure how close I could call a tom in or if I'd even be able to do a good job with a call.

But I LOVE smoked turkey for Thanksgiving and would like to try a real one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    15/16s across its flats. I doubt such barrel could be re-bored large than 52 cal.
    They already produce a .54 cal with .56 cal grooves.

Boolit Master
    For those of you who have a 28-24 ga with a cylinder bore and using heavier loads what load are you usin and, how far can you shoot and get 10 pellets to penetrate a tuna can with?

It seems the for sure way is to just go 28 ga with screw-in chokes. I've looked into jug choking but cannot find anyone who will do it on anything less than a 20 ga. But I'd certainly choose a no fuss jug choke over swapping chokes to load and shoot.

Most people state that a square load is the best pattern. But for a 28 ga this is 55 grns of powder and 3/4 oz of shot at roughly 1050 fps. With that speed I'd likely need to up the shot size for penetration which would reduce the pellet count and bring the max range much closer. Not ideal. It seems a full/extra full choke would certainly allow for a heavier powder charge to bring up the velocity and even the old 7/8 oz pellet load or 16 ga 1 oz pellet load.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    For those of you who have a 28-24 ga with a cylinder bore and using heavier loads what load are you usin and, how far can you shoot and get 10 pellets to penetrate a tuna can with?

It seems the for sure way is to just go 28 ga with screw-in chokes. I've looked into jug choking but cannot find anyone who will do it on anything less than a 20 ga. But I'd certainly choose a no fuss jug choke over swapping chokes to load and shoot.

Most people state that a square load is the best pattern. But for a 28 ga this is 55 grns of powder and 3/4 oz of shot at roughly 1050 fps. With that speed I'd likely need to up the shot size for penetration which would reduce the pellet count and bring the max range much closer. Not ideal. It seems a full/extra full choke would certainly allow for a heavier powder charge to bring up the velocity and even the old 7/8 oz pellet load or 16 ga 1 oz pellet load.
    My guns kill better with more shot than powder by volume.
    It just takes some experimenting on sheets of newspaper to find the sweet spot
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast