Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Underhammers

Boolit Master

I just acquired an H&A underhammer in well used condition. It appears that the barrel retaining pin is drifted out from right to left one way only. Can any of you knowledgeable UH guys confirm this? I have beat on it pretty hard with a plastic mallet and the pin has not budged. Any ideas on a removal method?

Boolit Master
    From what I have read, the H&A rifles used a pin and also set screws. When I got my 58 caliber H&A I talked with my mentor and he said there was no reason he could think of to remove the barrel unless the insides are pitted so bad the gun will not shoot well at all. For cleaning, I use a spare nipple I drilled out some and then screw it in snugly with some tubing attached to it. If you have to pull the pin one side should show larger than the other with a magnifying glass, drift from the small side.

Boolit Master
    yes it is a tapered pin. I have seen some come out left to right. and a others right to left. it can get confusing. some the pins are easy to see which is witch. others you will have to measure. there is also a screw in the top of the receiver that needs to be removed. but then unless you are replacing the barrel there is no need to remove it.

I use the tube on the nipple to clean mine it has not failed me yet in 20 years and I don't think it will.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on totally refinishing barrel, receiver, and wood so wanted the barrel off of the receiver. I also have another barrel (.45cal) that I would like to be able to interchange with the receiver. It is soaking in Kroil now but I am sure not able to get that pin to move! If it doesn't want to come out after the Kroil treatment I will try some heat. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Boolit Master
    I have a spare action I was thinking of building a switch barrel rifle on. the underhammer action is a great action for such a project.

Boolit Master

I am left handed and my father bought my first UH rifle for me when I was 15 years old. UH's are great for lefties and I have always had a place in my heart for them. I still have my original from when I was 15! It is in .45 cal and the most recent one is a .50 cal. I built a .54 cal from a Pecatonica River kit in 2013. I am working on getting a .36 now too.

dd, After reading your posts, I went to the Numeric Arms/Gun Parts website > Hopkins & Allen. There are 59 pages of parts, but I was hoping to find an exploded diagram for you, but didn't have the time to search for it. You may want to look at those pages...just in case.

Boolit Master

Maven - Thanks for your input. I visit the Numrich Arms site on a daily basis and regularly check the H&A page and check for parts for the UH rifles and I also need a part for my H&A UH Boot Pistol I also visit the Enfield P-14 and the Colt 1903 page. I enjoy refurbishing old, broken, firearms with original parts when available. Have several needing parts right now.

I still have my H&A "Heritage" model .45 underhammer rifle. I bought it in the mid 1960s and it still has great sentimental value and the barrel is pristine.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Before Roger built the Faeton he built the Zephyr. I have one of these in 62 calibre and it is still an unfired safe queen.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh But Why? Take it out and shoot it, that's what they all deserve.

Boolit Buddy
    I am no longer a young man. Perhaps you would like to shoot it. With it's Forsyth rifling it's designed to shoot a patched, 341 grain, roundball over 175 - 200 grains of 2fg.

Boolit Buddy
    ogre, challenge accepted! I would love to.

Boolit Buddy
    It's not a challenge. It is an invitation. I live in Vancouver, WA.

Boolit Buddy
    Ogre, Long day at the office today. Thats a very nice offer Thank You. I'm north of you by about 2.5 hours. Hunting season is barreling down on us now. Maybe later in the fall.

Boolit Bub
    dondiego- you have a pm ---Bruce H

Boolit Master

I made several barrels with the Forsyth rifling, very narrow lands and wide grooves with 1/4 turn in the length of the barrel. The whole idea is easy loading and a very high speed ( for black powder) round ball. The heavy powder charges will develop a flinch in no time. Roger said a 3" group is about as good as you can get, more than likely minute of deer size. I think I still have a couple on the shelf if someone really wants to go that way.

In Remembrance
    I am a late-comer to black powder shooting as far as some others here, having started in 1972. I do remember the TC UH pistol, cost was a whopping $36.00 at that time!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

TC Underhammer? Do you mean H&A?

Boolit Master
    If you want one then this would be a good choice. I only wish I had the funds available now.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../492/1/AAQ-229

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast