WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old "New" Brass Question

Old "New" Brass Question

Came into some "new, never fired" primed 45 brass. It's R-P stamped (Remington), large primer. Based on the condition of some of the cases it's been sitting around for awhile. I've never purchased new brass or primed brass for that matter but it was a good deal on ~1600 pieces.

These cases have a "patterned indent" about 3/4 of the way from the bottom. Not sure what I'm looking at, nothing I've deal with before. Again, I'm typically reloading 1x commercial brass or range pickups. Apologies if this turn out to be a stupid question...but ya don't know what ya don't know

Attached some pics, hoping someone can shed some light on it.

Also, some of these are not looking so great...any harm in giving primed brass a quick tumble ? I know some people do this after reloading lubed cases (I do not) so I'm pretty sure I'm on solid ground but wanted to double check.

Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170819_150219.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	202308

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170819_150233.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	202309

It's called a cannelure. In this case, the purpose is to prevent bullet setback. Other cannelures are used to identify a particular loading, etc.

I'd just load a few rounds and make sure the primers are OK. Primers are hard to kill, so they're probably going to fire just fine.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

That line is where the base of the bullet indexes during the assembly of the ammo.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Should work just fine "as is", and a tumble shouldn't hurt things either providing you're using dry media and a rotating or vibratory tumbler. I've done exactly that, with no problems.

Boolit Man
    I want to just give an opinion only. I would hold a bullet to the point that it would be seated to see, if that mark is just above that line. I am guessing it might be a line for beginners, but just an opinion. I have an RP case that had that Mark that was reversed after a friend had seated the bullet to deep causing a bulge.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mdhillbilly1; 08-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    It's called a cannelure. In this case, the purpose is to prevent bullet setback. Other cannelures are used to identify a particular loading, etc.
    I've heard the term cannelure, but always related to bullets...never brass. Learn something new every day...

Does anyone make pistol brass like this anymore ? Maybe this stuff is older than I think it is...

Boolit Master

If you do tumble the brass, make darn sure the media is completely out of the inside of the case.

Boolit Master

Still common with defensive ammo. That line will match the seating depth of the intended bullet, likely a 230 hard ball or flying ashtray style hp.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Tumbling 1,600 pieces of primed brass will surely deposit primer compound dust in the tumbler. Primer dust is explosive.

From the 4'th page of this document: http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubD...SS_PRIMERS.PDF

Primers may 'dust'. Small particles of priming particles may separate from the primers in the form of dust, especially when subjected to shaking or jolting. Accumulation of this dust in loading machines and loading areas is extremely hazardous.

I would refrain.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by EddieZoom View Post
    I've heard the term cannelure, but always related to bullets...never brass. Learn something new every day...

Does anyone make pistol brass like this anymore ? Maybe this stuff is older than I think it is...
    All kinds of handgun ammunition is made with a cannelure on the case, especially in straight wall revolver and pistol rounds. A cannelure can be on either a bullet or the case. It's rolled into the surface of each with a wheel. Several companies make a cannelure tool for reloaders. Commercial ammunition factories also produce ammunition with it, such as Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    That second picture either has a reflection on the left side, or looks like it has been fired once and slightly dented. it is surprising because a dent usually deforms the case mouth...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdhillbilly1 View Post
    I want to just give an opinion only. I would hold a bullet to the point that it would be seated to see, if that mark is just above that line. I am guessing it might be a line for beginners, but just an opinion. I have an RP case that had that Mark that was reversed after a friend had seated the bullet to deep causing a bulge.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Perhaps, but I doubt it. The canalures (a canalure is just a knurled narrow "groove" on cases) have been around for many, many years. I have seen it on ammo produced in the '30s IIRC and was used for what Reloaderfred stated, to prevent bullet setback. At least that's what I've heard since I started reloading in '69. Definitions of canalure most often refer to a "groove" around the diameter of a bullet or cartridge case, but I have heard it used, and I have used it to mean a knurled groove around any metal tube/cylinder...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Tumbling 1,600 pieces of primed brass will surely deposit primer compound dust in the tumbler. Primer dust is explosive.

From the 4'th page of this document: http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubD...SS_PRIMERS.PDF

Primers may 'dust'. Small particles of priming particles may separate from the primers in the form of dust, especially when subjected to shaking or jolting. Accumulation of this dust in loading machines and loading areas is extremely hazardous.

I would refrain.
    Absolutely. I would never tumble primed cases. Loaded ammo if necessary, not primed cases.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

There might be some validity to this fear were it done over and over with thousands of cases and the media never changed. One time on one batch there is little to be concerned about. On the other hand, tumbling loaded ammo is not a good idea because the powder contained in the cases tumbles also, and coarse grains grind upon themselves and become much smaller grains with a higher burn rate and resulting higher pressures.

Boolit Master

Load it and shoot it and be happy
    1600 should last you at least 4 weeks, YES
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Load it and shoot it and be happy
    1600 should last you at least 4 weeks, YES
    I like to way you think skeettx

I'm going to skip the tumbling and load some of these up with 200gr LSWC and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master

If you don't like the cannelure, just pull the de-priming pin from your sizing die. Resize, load as usual.

If you seat to the cannurel, be sure the finished rounds feed into your pistol so it goes into battery. I had this problem once and had a full box that I had to seat the bullets deeper into the case, no shooting that day. I always check this with the first round out of the loader in pistol rounds now before going to range.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I would load them and try a few. They should work fine. Just separate them as plinking ammo and notate what they are. I may pull the decapping pin and resize just to make sure they are all sized the same way. I picked up about 8k the same way and that's what I plan on doing when I run out.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, some odd answers. Think of the canalure as a "decoration" and do what ever you would do with primed brass w/o a canalure. When I started reloading I didn't "seat by eye", not "to the case canalure", I either used the crimp groove or the book OAL to determine bullet depth, and the plunk test...

FWIW, I was jes lookin' on line and saw some old cartridges with a canalure; .45-40 Gov't. Ball, mfg 1898. Some .450 Gatling Ball, mfg. 1879. And .45-55 Ball, mfg 1880. All had a canalure below the bulet depth...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast