Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 357MAX short vs long

Boolit Master

357MAX short vs long

I want a MAX and have a 10" Contender 357 barrel but would a super 14 be enough better to hold out for?

Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    14" is definitely more for better,,,,,,

With a 10" barrel, you can do anything you want to with the .357 magnum. My load is a 230 grain flat point at 1450 fps in the magnum with a 10" barrel for deer hunting. I could go at least 200 fps faster, but best accuracy in my barrel was at that speed.

I seriously doubt that the Max can better the Mag in a 10 inch barrel.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I had Mike Bellm rechamber a 10" T/C 357 Magnum barrel to 357 Maximum. Accuracy and muzzle velocity were both substantially improved.

Boolit Master

Well there you go! Actual experience trumps conjecture every time,,,,,,

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Hamish is the 230 your using the NOE RD design? I have one of those in a PB that I want to try in 357 but data is way scarce.
    I've considered rechambering my 357mag 10in to max but I've got a Herrett so I'm leaving the 357 as is, plenty loud as is
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

No sir, it's the original HM2 35 Thor from the Group Buy that I Honcho'd. The NOE version came later when HM2 shut down. My understanding is that Al's is very close.

I had every intention of rechambering my Mag to Max back then but Max brass was absolutely unobtanium so I decided to see what I could wring out of it as-is.

Data was very scarce when I started looking and ended up finding some very old revolver loads meant for bowling pin shoots and worked up from there in the Contender. 110/296 work pretty well but I prefer 2400. (I started at about 10 grains and ended up stopping at 16 and settled upon 14.4 ) 1450 fps with a 235 grain hammer, zeroed for 150 yards does anything and everything I ask of it.

The funny part is I've since latched on to a 14" Max barrel and brass if I can ever get around to doing the load work,,,,,,.
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I had Mike Bellm rechamber a 10" T/C 357 Magnum barrel to 357 Maximum. Accuracy and muzzle velocity were both substantially improved.
    Tatume,

I would very much like to hear about the loads involved. I've had a couple of 180's and 200 gr. designs put back to play with between the two chamberings.

If you only punch paper , 14" would be good. If you hunt can you justify the extra weight and bulk ? Not me. A 10" is more than good from 0 to 125 yrds or so with a point blank hold. If your going to shoot more than 125 then a pistol might not be the smart weapon.
    Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, think I'll keep the 10" as is and keep looking for a 14" for the max.
    Aaron

Boolit Master
    I have a contender carbine in 357 max and love it. It is incredibly versatile from cat sneeze to as heavy as I tolerate the recoil vibration with the 200's. If you run across a 357 mag Contender carbine, you might also consider having it turned into a 357 max by Mike Bellm. Of course, I have plenty of hoarded 357 max brass but 357 mags also shoot well in that barrel.

Boolit Master
    General rule of thumb is that the load that produces the highest velocity in a long barrel will also produce the highest velocity in a short barrel