MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 1971 Marlin 336

Boolit Buddy

1971 Marlin 336

I started cleaning up an old Marlin 336 made in 71. It has a place for a saddle ring, a straight stock, and a square lever. Does that make it a Texan? Would it be marked somewhere on the gun?
    The fron swivel is a clamp onto the magazine. I'm assuming the later models use the front band with swivel. Can anyone verify?
    I'm going to need a few small parts and tried Brownells and Numrich. Is there another place to buy parts other than ebay?
    Shoots great, just trying to make it prettier. The old stock had 2 wood screws near the tang to repair some cracks. The metal had some surface rust but it's cleaning up nice.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    That would be a Texan, they never marked the rifles as such, but that is what they call them. Midway USA also has parts for them as well. Very good rifle that will serve you well!

I'm jealous. That's my favorite Marlin 336 variant. Bob's Gun Shop; Jack First may have what you need.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 1976 has the clamp on front swivel. Don't know if it was factory but it does match the gun quite well. I love the Texan, easily my favorite .30-30. Marlin should have never dropped it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Marlin never issued a M-336 with clamp-on front sling swivels, but some brands are very un-obtrusive when installed.

The buttstock can be refitted with a PG buttstock (the inletting is the same for straight & PG stocks) after the PG is rasped/sanded "off" (to make a straight-grip stock), the bottom relieved for the lower tang & then refinished.

Although many appropriate parts can be obtained directly from the Remington/Marlin Parts Dept, here's some other Marlin parts vendors:

http://www.gun-parts.com/marlin/

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...odel-336-parts

http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/Marlin.htm

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered the saddle ring today. Found a front sight screw. Slowly gettin parts together.

From all the pictures I could find, it appears the Texan came without sling swivel posts. The clamp on swivel post was installed instead of replacing the forearm band with a band with the post. About half the photos I could find had the clamp on post.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Too late but a fun fact is that a front swivel stud for a bolt action rifle will thread into that saddle ring hole. Of course the threaded shaft must be shortened. Then your saddle horn loop can be detachable using a sling swivel. My Texan from long ago was missing the saddle ring. Stumbled upon this while researching the thread size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk