MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elvis Ammo's New "In Bulk" Powder Coating Video

The problem with shooting lubbed bullets in a Glock is the polygonal rifling builds up a lead coating at a much faster rate.

Not true. A cast bullet that properly fits the chamber of said gun will not lead the barrel when a quality lube is used.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    What has happened to Elvis? No videos anymore.
    Perhaps like his PC coating....he went off half-baked.
    No need to take my word for it, contact anyone who has or still does operate a powder coating business. All will tell you PC has a set cure schedule (time & temp) for a very valid reason, and NONE of them will recommend slopping coated parts together during cure (ie dump together in a basket).
    As in most endeavors, substandard methods will give only substandard results.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    The problem with shooting lubbed bullets in a Glock is the polygonal rifling builds up a lead coating at a much faster rate.

Not true. A cast bullet that properly fits the chamber of said gun will not lead the barrel when a quality lube is used.
    Waco, I knew someone would say they can shoot lead all day and have a bore with no lead in it. But the simple fact is as thin or as thick as it may be there is a deposit of the alloy left in gun barrels after shooting lubbed lead. Grease is just not sufficient to resist the torque of spinup with tens of thousands of pounds of pressure driving a lead alloy down a barrel. But the same holds true for copper jackets, there will be a deposit left in the barrel after firing jacketed bullets. What looks clean and shiney is not perfectly clean. The alloy deposited can be polished by friction to look clean and shiney. If you don't believe it run an alcohol soaked patch down the barrel and have it analyzed. i retired my spectrum analyzer several years ago or I could have proved my point with it.

As far as Glocks I think the manufacture has more insight of what is best for their product and they say don't do it. Personally from shooting a match a week in the IDPA for several years I can honestly say the handgun barrels that had the worst lead buildup from cast bullets were Glocks. I am not knocking Glocks I own 14 of them and I shoot cast bullets all the time in them and have done so for years, but they are PC cast bullets and that makes a difference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    and NONE of them will recommend slopping coated parts together during cure (ie dump together in a basket).
    Really? I bet a lot of people here dump them into a basket to shake the excess powder off then dump them onto a tray.

Just because you can't get it to work does not mean a whole lot of other HAVE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Part of my daily commuting ritual is listening (yes, listening ) to the latest YouTube offerings by Johnny' Reloading Bench, Elvis Ammo, Fortune Cookie 45LC, and others.

This morning's material was Elvis Ammo's new video.

This one got my attention at the 20:40 mark, and continued to 21:52.

At first I thought he was crazy, but if we don't lube the base of our bullets, why should be worried about powder coating them? Is he right?
    he yaps and yaps so I cant stand to listen to 30 minute videos he could have done in less than 10.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Really? I bet a lot of people here dump them into a basket to shake the excess powder off then dump them onto a tray.

Just because you can't get it to work does not mean a whole lot of other HAVE!
    Where EXACTLY in my post did I say that I can't do it? If the results you get from that process satisfy YOU then it is exactly what YOU should do. I, however, don't find it acceptable nor am I aware of ANY PROFESSIONAL who will accept those results. The tray process will give uneven coating, small to medium lumps, divots etc. Doubt it would give a noticeable accuracy decrease at short pistol ranges but in rifle I guarantee those unbalanced bullets will show detrimental accuracy. Simple law of physics at work, no different from a void in the side of a cast bullet causes the self-same effect.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Banned

Same way I do my rifle bullets. I can maintain 1.5moa out to 500yds. I must be doing it wrong.

Boolit Master
    This is all about the differences in people. Some like to stand them up,some don't. Most folks who have been doing it for a while have figured out their own systems.RoyEllis I agree with you. Times and temps are on there for a reason. Digital thermometer with a thermocouple,drill the base of a bulet,secure the thermocuple and you have away to track your temp.Changes instantly. Works good for me. Some folks might not like it! To each their own. I like Elvis videos.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Oh no he dit'nt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I hold 3 NRA Certified Rifle Master Cards and I will say your post is total and absolute BS!!!! What you are doing Wrong is posting an absurd fabrication and expecting a number of rifle shooters to believe it in an attempt support your argument.

Post photos of your rifle and sight as it would have to be better than any handmade target rifle I have ever owned and better yet a video of you actually making this happen, because if you can do this with dumped cast bullets, we need you in the next olympics.
    I don't care what you think. The people that scream the loudest are the ones that can't do it. So you are saying there is not a rifle made that can hold 1.5MOA out to 500? You must have some really bad gunsmiths that put your rifles together then. It is a wonder that you can win anything.

I have noticed that every time someone does something that you are not able to do yourself you attack them. I noticed this right when you showed up on this board. But just to amuse you here is the rifle where I was shooting cast bullets out to 1000yds that day. It is a Savage 10 that has been trued and timed. Has a 3/8" recoil lug. Shilen Select Match 1-10tw in 308 Bisley chamber. It also had the Precision Target action trigger. It would shoot into .2's with 175gr Sierra HPBT Matchkings. 4-24x44 scope with a 20 MOA Ken Farrel base.

Attachment 256138
    Last edited by tomme boy; 02-05-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    "Same way I do my rifle bullets. I can maintain 1.5moa out to 500yds. "

What I disagree with is when mis-information is posted because I see this site as an exchange of factual information. The above is your what you said and we were not talking about Match King or any other commercial bullet.

We are talking about dump cooking PC rifle bullets that can hold a 1.5 MOA at 500 yards and you say this is the way you do it. I say a dump cooked rifle bullet is going to be a non-concentric and is going to wobble and is not going to consistently hold 1.5 MOA at 500 yards. You made the statement so if that is a fact I and I bet others would like to see it done.

I do think it can be done with a PC cast bullet, but a lot of effort is going to be put into making the bullets concentric and that does not start by dump cooking.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    "Same way I do my rifle bullets. I can maintain 1.5moa out to 500yds. "

What I disagree with is when mis-information is posted because I see this site as an exchange of factual information. The above is your what you said and we were not talking about Match King or any other commercial bullet.

We are talking about dump cooking PC rifle bullets that can hold a 1.5 MOA at 500 yards and you say this is the way you do it. I say a dump cooked rifle bullet is going to be a non-concentric and is going to wobble and is not going to consistently hold 1.5 MOA at 500 yards. You made the statement so if that is a fact I and I bet others would like to see it done.

I do think it can be done with a PC cast bullet, but a lot of effort is going to be put into making the bullets concentric and that does not start by dump cooking.
    '

I'd kinda like to see that verified myself. I'll not go to the extent you did, but I'd like to see it done.
    I am about to delve into PC ing. Of course, I don't usually shoot much over 75 yards, so it's not a great worry of mine, but I do plan on "not batch dumping" and will be taking great care to make decent bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    '

I'd kinda like to see that verified myself. I'll not go to the extent you did, but I'd like to see it done.
    I am about to delve into PC ing. Of course, I don't usually shoot much over 75 yards, so it's not a great worry of mine, but I do plan on "not batch dumping" and will be taking great care to make decent bullets.
    I said what I said because of guys like you that are new to the process and assume what you read here is correct. I am an old, like pushing 72, competition rifle shooter and in my day we didn't have a clue about powder coating bullets, but we knew the limitations of cast bullets, otherwise there wouldn't have been a need for commercially or custom made bullets. My point is doing what you can to improve a PC cast rifle bullet it can be made into a surprisingly accurate round, but that doesn't mean the bullet can be made in such a haphazard way as to purposely increase the imperfections and say that doesn't make any difference. This is what I am referring to. I personally could care less what anybody wishes to do or shortcuts they want to take what I object to is when they post telling those that may not know better, that the end results are all the same. When it comes to rifle accuracy it is all those little things that add up. So look at his last post; he knows this, otherwise why put in the time, effort and money?

When you get into PC I wish you well and I am sure you will do well.

Banned

Nose sizing takes out a lot of what you are talking about. I would love to prove you wrong. I sold the rifle a couple years ago.

Ask Waco how he shoots his cast bullets out that far and farther. It can be done. You just have to have the right bullets and know how to make them fit.

And yes that was with cast bullets. I AMAZED just about everyone that day. They thought lead bullets were only good to 100 yds. Past 500 I was having all kinds of problems with wind and shooting across 3 gullies. The updraft played a huge role on the drop or the windage depending on which gully it went across. We haad wind flags and there were 6 different directions out to 1000. But the velocity played a huge role too. The bullet I was using did not pass through the transonic zone well at all.

There is a lot of other things I could get into but I am not going to. If you have not figured out what it takes to shoot that far in all the years you have been shooting then I am not going to help you know because you are too set in your ways.
    Last edited by tomme boy; 02-06-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    You are right, I never figured it out. But if I were set in my ways I wouldn't be into Powder coating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1790_1.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	256237

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Nose sizing takes out a lot of what you are talking about. I would love to prove you wrong. I sold the rifle a couple years ago.

Ask Waco how he shoots his cast bullets out that far and farther. It can be done. You just have to have the right bullets and know how to make them fit.

And yes that was with cast bullets. I AMAZED just about everyone that day. They thought lead bullets were only good to 100 yds. Past 500 I was having all kinds of problems with wind and shooting across 3 gullies. The updraft played a huge role on the drop or the windage depending on which gully it went across. We haad wind flags and there were 6 different directions out to 1000. But the velocity played a huge role too. The bullet I was using did not pass through the transonic zone well at all.

There is a lot of other things I could get into but I am not going to. If you have not figured out what it takes to shoot that far in all the years you have been shooting then I am not going to help you know because you are too set in your ways.
    lots of people have figured out how to shoot that far...accurately, but not with ill covered and imbalanced bullets.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    lots of people have figured out how to shoot that far...accurately, but not with ill covered and imbalanced bullets.
    I tried the normal ways of PC rifle bullets. I have a PC gun and tried to do it that way. Made a special bullet plate to stand the bullets up and spraying them. Tried the water PC method. Ever heard of that? Tried tumbling then standing them up too. I did not see any difference in accuracy between all of them. So I tried the tumble and bake them in bulk. Did not see any difference. But the trick is to make sure to shake the excess powder off. They don't normally stick together. I may get 1 or 2 stuck together each time but they don't shoot any different than the others.

You guys are acting just like everyone did when this PC first started. I was one of them. I was one of them. The biggest leap in accuracy was to stop using HF PC. You get a more even finish using a real PC.

Some of the guys that are shooting 2400fps and faster with PC bullets and getting the same or better accuracy as me are not on this site anymore because of the naysayers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123