RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: What alloy are you using in your M1 Carbine?

Super Moderator

What alloy are you using in your M1 Carbine?

Up to this point I have been using Lyman #2, with excellent results. My stash of #2 is dwindling though, and I wonder how soft I can actually go without having to buy more. I have a ton of 1/3/96 from isotope cores, I have a bunch of WW, some range lead, and a small stash of Lino. Would AC 1/3/96 be adequate, or would I need to WD it? I could blend up something else I'm sure also. Thanks!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For full charges with Alliant #2400, IMR4227 or H110 using GC bullets I use 50-50 wheelweights and linotype, about 16 BHN.

For minimum charge to cycle the action, about 1400 fps with plainbased 110-115-grain bullet using compressed nominal case full, about 13 grains of IMR4198, you can get away with wheel weights and a pinch of tin added as needed to improve casting quality.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I've only used GCd cast bullets in my M1 Carbines for 40 years. While #2 alloy is the best to use alloy I have to say probably 95% have been cast of COWW (old) or COWW (new) + 2% tin. They have been ACd, sized .309 and mostly GCd with Hornady GCs. Lube has been Javelina, Tamarack or other 50/50 lube.

However, the hunting HPs are COWW + 2% tin then mixed 50/50 with lead.

I'd recommend an alloy close to 96/3/3 for general purpose cast bullet use in the 30 Carbine. Seems you have the alloys to make that alloy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Super Moderator

Sorry, I forgot to mention that all my molds are gas checked. Iv'e also got some 95/5 tin that I could add to my 1/3/96 and COWW's. Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    To guide you a little i use 97/3 with a check in 44MAG going at least 1750fps and that in a micro groove barrel.
    The last time my barrel saw anything but a boresnake is at least 5k shots ago.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used heat treated or water dropped COWW's, running in the 16-26 BH, depending on how fanatical I was in the heat treating.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I've shot cast in my carbines for years. I use coww with an added 2% tin. Never had a leading problem with plain base or gas checked and I'm shooting as high as 1800 fps. Just make sure your boolits are large enough.