RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flexeril!

Boolit Master

Flexeril!

I stupidly twisted my back the other day. I've had chronic back problems for over 39 years. I know better than to do what I did.

That being said I did it anyway. I got slapped with muscle spasms that had me grinding my teeth with tears in my eyes.

I had to have my wife help me up out of my recliner and into the bedroom. I realized I was going to have to take something for it.

The muscle relaxant I have is Flexeril. It's good stuff and it works, however it knocks me out for 8-10 hours at a time and gives me really fuzzy brain if I'm awake.

I've spent the last two days in bed. Finally got up and moving around a bit today. I'm still having spasms, and my left leg feels like it's being crushed by red hot electric rollers.

Our little boy, Munchkin a Goffin's Cockatoo, has been pretty upset. He's a daddies boy and couldn't understand why I wasn't out in the family room. Twice he ran off from my wife and came all the way back into our bedroom and climbed on the bed to see me. He's got clipped wings so he had to run all that way. Pretty brave for a little guy that barely weighs 8 ounces.

He's been really happy that I managed to come out of the bedroom today. He's pretty much been glued to my shoulder.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

I see Xanaflex and Baclofen used for patients that don't handle the drowsy, foggy feeling. I have never used them so I don't know how well they actually work. Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about pain meds, there is stuff out there that will help and won't get you too high to function. It amazes me how much personality small animals can have. My wife and I have 5 rats that are happier to see me when I come home most days than my dog.

Boolit Master
    Dang that sounds rough. Hope you get to feeling better so your feathered friend doesn't scare the missus off .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

That's a pretty nasty drug IMO. Had a friend w/ real bad back problems. Ended up w/ a morphine pump implanted in him. He was also on a whole host of other medications. Flexeril is the only one that would knock him out. I hope you get better.

Boolit Master
    Flexeril almost killed my mother...shut her kidneys down. Be careful with that stuff.

Boolit Bub
    If I haven't had flexeril for a while, then a whole pill will knock me out for basically 2 days, the second day I am really foggy, and I'm a big guy.
    After a week or so I can take two per day and get around ok. I have only had to take them a couple times for no more than a week and a half at a time. I can't even tell if I take a baclofen, it does nothing for me.

Boolit Master
    I have a scrip for 3 or 4 a day pretty much forever. Initially 1 would make me drowsy, now not so much. Every now and then I switch to Valium, it is more effective but also more addictive and your body adjusts to it within a few weeks so the efficacy falls off unless you ramp up, and doctors aren't generally in favor of that since it significantly suppresses respiration at night at high dosages.

I'm 35 years into a back problem, pain every day.

Moderator Emeritus

I must be the odd one out, Flexeril did zero for me, nothing...

Flexeril is pretty effective for most people, but does case drowsiness, decreased motor function so don't even think about driving with it. A couple older drugs, Soma and Parafon Forte give less relief, but without the bad side effects. Valium is good, but addictive as are most of the pain meds.Talk to your Dr and try some of the other drugs too. (Retired pharmacist)
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    3 back surgeries (one botched). Forced retirement (lost wages? I don't like to think about it). I have drop foot from nerve damage and wear a lower leg brace.

What did not help...
    Chiropractors (useless). Physical therapy (useless). Anti-inflammatory drugs (dangerous. I developed an aspirin allergy). Vicodin, gabapentin, Flexeril (can't tolerate either). Percocet when it gets real bad (small amount to take the edge off), but highly addictive. Inversion bed (be careful).
    What did help...
    Surgery with the right DR. Keep the weight down. Do pull-ups (I started with one or two a day, worked up to 10 sets of 10 - a hundred a day. Hurt my shoulder and had to back off). Exercise - join a gym. No lifting up - just pull down machines. Try mountain bike riding (mountain bikes put you in a forward leaning position which stretches your spine). WALKING with good, solid shoes (Soloman hiking shoes and boots) and a walking stick.
    Find what works for you, but moving is better than not, even when it hurts like hell.

Banned

Mary:
    your not alone.
    I generally took 2 or 3 of them and it was like aspirin.
    50mg's of Tramadol doesn't do a thing either and just makes me a little nauseous, but I see people looking like their drunk on 20.

Boolit Buddy
    I feel your pain I was in a 65 mph head on, crushed T3 and T6 and shook everything else up, my Dr has just put me on a cocktail of Tramadol, Diazepam and Bruffon only for about 2 weeks but it is great to almost feel normal for a while.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm already goofy, but even a small dose of any pain killer sends me to La La land. An aspirin puts me to sleep for a couple hrs. My DAD was the same way. He had 2 teeth pulled and the half dose of meds put him in bed for 4 days.
    Guess you could call me a cheap drunk.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I took flexeril for many years. Didn't do a lot but did take the edge off after it built up in my system. I could drive and function without any impairment. The side affect I experienced was severe mood swings. I would constantly be yelling at my wife and kids over very minor little things. Have not used it in many years and will not use it again.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Flexeril works for me but (luckily) don't need it very often. I was given something that started with an S. I was like a limp noodle, my wife had to help me do everything that night to put me into bed. I'll suffer through before I'll take that stuff again. It's on my med chart and I recall the name when theDr's ask me about it. It would have been funny if it hadn't been me.

In Remembrance

If the leg pain is new, you need to be scanned as it indicates new nerve compression.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post

I'm still having spasms, and my left leg feels like it's being crushed by red hot electric rollers.

"...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

You must have L4-5 problems. That's where mine is located and (knock on wood) it hasn't bothered me for about a year now. Good luck on finding a treatment that works for you and as cpileri said -"If the leg pain is new, get it attended to right away.

Boolit Master

You all may laugh but I have had such back problems in the past with severe muscle spasms in lower back until I went to a chiropractor. Every time I hurt my back I would get to the chiropractor as soon as possible and would avoid most of the spasms and all of the meds. Since I have been retired, my back got mysteriously better and have not had any real back problems since. I have decided that it was my carrying a gun for 33 years on my right side that was causing the problems.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post
    I see Xanaflex and Baclofen used for patients that don't handle the drowsy, foggy feeling. I have never used them so I don't know how well they actually work. Don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about pain meds, there is stuff out there that will help and won't get you too high to function. It amazes me how much personality small animals can have. My wife and I have 5 rats that are happier to see me when I come home most days than my dog.

Sorry if I am not adding any advice, but thought maybe a laugh would help...unless it hurts when you laugh and I will apologize in advance.

I took a song writing class at my local adult education center at the high school now that I am retired. I wrote a parody of a country and western song about my dog, called... "She the New Queen of my King sized Bed". Part of the lyrics were...a test of true love...put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car....drive around the block for an hour and see which one is truly happy to see you".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I must be the odd one out, Flexeril did zero for me, nothing...
    I'm normally a lightweight with medicines and alcohol but flexeril doesn't effect me that badly either. I mean it helps but not much more than that.i have a bottle in the medicine cabinet.3 ruptured disks in my midback and now a bulging one in my lower.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast