For carry I grease the rails and sliding surfaces so I do not worry about the oil running off. Inspect periodically for lint and gunk. I am likely to have little chance of gunk buildup because after any range familiarization practice I clean and relubricate the gun.

For cold weather use where I may have to leave the gun in the truck safe when transiting free fire/no right to self defense zones I use oil rather than grease and make sure I lubricate the gun more often to avoid the inevitable runoff. Cold guns in cold vehicles are probably best not greased. Against the body where the gun is continually warm grease is fine even in cold weather.

It is up to the user to assess the climatological and temperature conditions the gun will be used under and respond appropriately for maintenance purposes. Under circumstances where periodic extreme cold conditions are encountered something more cold resistant than oils may be needed.

And....carrying a clean properly lubed gun of any type is probably always better than carrying a dirty unlubricated one whether it be revolver or autoloader.

Since autoloaders should properly be chamber fed from the magazine, ride the slide home a little when chambering to avoid setback issues but be sure the slide is fully in battery before holstering. Easy to do.