MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's been almost 120 years, and the .38 Special is ...

Boolit Master

It's been almost 120 years, and the .38 Special is ...

still the finest handgun cartridge ever invented.

In addition to my .38's, I've owned 9mm, .357Mag, .40S&W, .44Mag, .45ACP, .45Colt, and .454Casull (plus .22RF of course). But when all factors are considered, the venerable .38 is still tops: for novices, target work, reloading, and even performance in a reasonably-sized platform. I do a fair bit of traveling, and the .38Spl is still what I put in my pocket - and keep right here by my nightstand.

Boolit Master

It's been almost 120 years, and the .38 Special is ...
    Still pretty special.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    38 spl and its big brother the 357 serve all of my self protection and hunting needs quite well. I shoot so many more 38s than any thing else.

Boolit Master

I have many handguns, but I find my S&W Airweight 637 .38 Special gets carried most of the time.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

It is a great cartridge that has served the military, law enforcement, home protector, hunter, and target hunter well for over a century! Yet due to its age it still attracts shooters and I suspect that it will serve us well for the next century as well....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    It is my personal favorite, just can't get enough of those old wheel guns!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    If I could only have one pistol/caliber it would be the 38 special . . . a good general "do all" cartridge that has served a lot of folks for a lot of years . . . .

There are two handgun cartridges with a little touch of divinity in their design. The 38 Special and the 45 ACP. They both provide reasonable power, outstanding accuracy and with great efficiency.

This means everybody gets to own at least one revolver and one 1911.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Does S&W still make a semi auto in .38Spl. wadcutter?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Cross-posted here by the kind permission of Ed Harris is an article on the .38 Special which appeared some years ago in The Fouling Shot.

“One Handgun” for the Non-Hobbyist

Consider a .38 Special (or .357) Revolver

People I know who don’t own a gun, but are thinking about buying one frequently ask what ONE handgun they should buy for home defense, home and outdoor protection. They would never use a handgun for big game hunting, but would carry it when working outdoors, traveling on vacation hiking, fishing, boating or camping trips, and depend on it, if needed, for home or personal defense.

They don't want a gun "collection," but only ONE handgun to serve multiple needs in a family where shooting is not a hobby activity. The basic requirements are safety, reliability, durability, accuracy, and modest cost of gun and ammunition. Also important is ease of use by the "female significant other" or adult children who may wish to learn.

These parameters haven't changed since Smith & Wesson first introduced its famed Military and Police Model in 1903. Julian S. Hatcher said, in the Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers (1935), "Were it necessary for the average shooter to own and use but one revolver, it should be a .38 Special." This is still true today.

Used .38 Special revolvers in sound mechanical condition are much less expensive than a new, modern combat auto-pistol. Ammunition for the .38 Special is common everywhere and produced in sufficient volume that it remains relatively inexpensive. Factory .38 Special loads available today provide greater variety than for any other handgun cartridge. Today it is generally deemed the minimum revolver cartridge suitable for personal protection.

While the .38 Special is no longer the duty gun of choice among police or military units, it enjoys great popularity in states where civilian concealed carry is permitted. It is also true compact pocket revolvers are now available chambered for the more powerful .357 Magnum, but using .38 Special ammunition in small revolvers which weigh less than about 20 ozs. makes more sense for a variety of reasons.

While a .22 rim-fire is most often recommended as an outdoorsman's “kit gun,” the owner of our “one handgun” can use his .38 Special for this purpose and find it effective. When outdoor trips are short, few rounds of ammunition are really needed. In snake country I carry a Speer shot load first-up in the cylinder, with the rest of the rounds in it being +P personal defense hollow points, such as the Winchester X38SPD, or Remington R38S12 "FBI load." Three TUF strips fit into into an A.G. Russell belt pouch, tabs up, without looking like an ammo pouch, printing "speed loader bulge" or rattling on your belt, in your coat pocket or day pack. On longer trips I pack a box of wadcutters too.

I would recommend that the non-enthusiast seeking "one handgun" select a steel-frame, “police-service-type,” double-action .38 Special or .357 having either a 3" or 4" barrel. I say “or .357” because a “Magnum” revolver of these general specifications can also use any .38 Special ammunition, but is more durably constructed, so it won’t loosen up with frequent use of .38 Special +P defense loads. In states where concealed carry is legal a used 4” service revolver is usually about $100 cheaper than a 2” snub in similar condition. Similarly a used .38 Special is about $50 cheaper than a similar model in .357.

For defense and survival use fixed sights are more rugged, but for accurate field shooting of small game a gun having adjustable sights is a plus. A 4” barrel is easier to shoot accurately, but can still be easily concealed in a proper holster. For concealed carry most people are well served with an inside-waistband type with reinforced opening which permits one-handed re-holstering such as El Paso Saddlery's C-Force.

“Snubbies” are most popular as concealed carry guns, but I do not recommend a non-hobbyist buy a snubby unless you are willing to practice with it A LOT. A short barrel has advantages for weapon retention in close-quarter defense when rolling around in the mud and the blood, but they require frequent practice to maintain proficiency. Recall that our scenario here is ONE gun for a non-hobbyist.

Wadcutter ammunition is good for general use including field shooting. It is accurate, gives a good knockdown blow on small game, and doesn’t destroy much meat. Wadcutters provide adequate soft target penetration with good “crush” and are a valid choice for defense carry in "air weight" or alloy-frame guns which cannot handle +P ammunition. Novice revolver owners should train and practice with wadcutters until able to place six shots fired double-action, with a two-handed hold at ten yards into a 6 inch group fairly reliably.

After developing basic skill and some confidence it is OK to experiment with heavier +P loads, in guns suitable for them, to become accustomed to their additional recoil. A .38 Special loaded with +P ammunition is fully adequate for personal defense. Winchester X38SPD, Federal 38G and Remington R38S12 158-gr. all-lead hollow-points provide stopping power equal to .45 ACP hardball and represent the upper limit of power which the average non-expert person can handle. +P ammo is not for casual shooting, but for defense carry against two or four-legged varmints when more power is needed.

In light alloy frames the most effective non+P load is the Winchester 110-gr. Silvertip HP. It is the only load which I have found which expands reliably when fired from a 2" barrel. Recoil is mild, like a wadcutter, so this load is easily managed by the female significant other who may be recoil-shy. In my experience the heavier 125-gr. jacketed +P loads require a 4" barrel to develop normal velocity and expansion. The major US brands Federal, Winchester, Remington and Speer factory +P "personal protection loads," such as Hydrashok, Silvertip, Golden Saber and Gold Dot excel when used from those.

Twenty years ago the market was flooded with police turn-in .38 Specials in good condition selling for around $200. Today you must shop carefully and pat about twice as much to find a sturdy used revolver which isn’t worn out. If you don’t know revolvers take a retired cop who carried one for 20 years to the store with you. You do not want to buy into a "gunsmithing project," because you may spend more fixing a basket case than it is worth.

In new guns look at the Ruger SP101 with 3 inch barrel. In used guns the S&W Model 36 or Model 60 Chief's Special, with 3" heavy barrel, and the older K-frame Models 10 and 13 heavy barrel, or the stainless Model 64 in 3" round butt, or 4" square butt configuration are also good choices, if you can find one in good mechanical condition.

Simple is good on your ammunition supply. If you have a light alloy frame gun use mid-range target wadcutters for both practice and carry. In steel frame guns you can practice with wadcutters or semi-wadcutter field loads, but for actual defense carry use only factory loaded +P lead hollow point or JHP "personal protection loads." You may also want to keep a few Speer shot shells around if you live in snake country. These loads really handle all uses for a .38 revolver.

Competent use of .357 ammunition requires a higher level of training and expertise which generally departs from our "non-hobbyist" scenario.

The muzzle of a revolver should always be elevated when ejecting fired cases. This ensures that any unburned powder particles fall out with the empties, rather than under the extractor, or between the crane and frame, which could tie up the gun. Carry a toothbrush in your kit for cleaning residue out from under the extractor. If you don't own a handgun, but have been thinking about getting one, you can't go wrong with a sturdy 4" .38 Special (or .357).
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have to agree. I have a "few" .38 Specials.....Like 'em all.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    There are two handgun cartridges with a little touch of divinity in their design. The 38 Special and the 45 ACP. They both provide reasonable power, outstanding accuracy and with great efficiency.

This means everybody gets to own at least one revolver and one 1911.

+ one.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

38 Specials

I got to thinking after all the posts above about my 38 Specials. I kind of take my 38s for granted I guess and when I tallied them up in my mind I came up with the following 38s in my vault. Of course others have come and gone, but these are the current ones on hand.

S&W Victory Model 4"
    S&W Model 60 2" (Back up revolver on the PD and now my CCW)
    S&W Model 10 6"
    S&W Model 15 PPC (Open class PPC revolver)
    S&W Model 14 6" (My service class revolver for the PPC course)
    Colt Official Police 5"

All of them are spot on for accuracy and I couldn't begin to count the number of rounds sent down range with them. A few photos of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colt Officer's Model 2-800.jpg   S&W 15-3 PPC 2-800-90%.jpg   S&W Victory Model-800-90%.jpg   S&W Model 14-640-90%-2.jpg   S&W Mod 10 800-90%.jpg  

Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking revolvers gentlemen! Thanks for the entertaining read.

S&W Model 10's are my favorite, currently have 10-6 10-8 10-10.....looking to fill in the remainders eventually .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    In addition to being a fine caliber it is also the most popular ...
    Go to eBay for Ideal molds and most molds for sale start with 358xxx
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    38's love em!

Boolit Master
    38 Spl is the first cartridge I loaded 40 yrs ago. I remember buying a Lyman 358477 for $10.00. Still casting with it. Runs great in my 3' S&W 10-5.

I have all the common handgun calibers and then some. 38 special is loaded in bulk placed 30 cal. ammo cans instead of individual 50 round boxes. 148 wadcutter, 158 SWC and 158 SWC Plus P. Its probably what I shoot 80% of the time. And carry.

I agree. If I were living in Chicago, Baltimore or LA I would want more firepower . Most anyplace else a 38 will get the job done. A fun cartridge at the range also.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast