RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less expensive alternatives for stock bedding?

Less expensive alternatives for stock bedding?

I am looking for a sub for in letting blue? I plan on ordering the 'High Score' bedding kit from Midway and using their wax release agent. Can I use 'Pam' spray as insurance from a 'sticky situation'? I can't justify paying Brownells $35 for an aresol can of release spray. Thanks,
    hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know about the Pam, but I use paste car wax with very good results.

Boolit Grand Master

You can use either lipstick or if you have good eyes just Vaseline for inletting. A tiny jar of inletting black from Track mixed with Vaseline will last forever. For release agent PM me and I will send you some as I made a mistake last time and ended up with a pint instead of 4 oz.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used a small brush with old motor oil for years to inlet with.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I use a tube of the reddest lipstick that i can find.

It lasts a long time but be sure to let your wife know that you are using it,like anti-seize it tends to get all over you.
    As for release agent the blue stuff in the glass kit from Brownells does a good job just put several coats on.

I have used paste wax and had no problems as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, cheapest and reddest tube of lipstick is excellent for inletting.

As for a release agent I have been using LLA for years with almost every bedding compound. Apply with a small brush and Q-Tips for tight areas and let dry thoroughly. It also cleans off easily with most any solvent.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

for inletting I use the tradition smoke method. For a release agent I have used a bunch. Never had an issue with any of them.

Yes, PAM works for release agent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    For a release agent
    Johnsons Paste Wax.
    Or plain old Parifin Wax block rubbed on the metal , then warmed up with a Hair dryer..
    I did have one stick when I used Pam years ago.
    But that was probably my bad like touching the metal after it was sprayed.
    But all I use now is the Paste Wax.
    I had car wax dull the Bluing on a finished barrel from the Polish in it
    For in letting, I started many years ago with red lipstick before I switched to Prussian Blue.
    But as others have said.
    Petroleum jelly mixed with a color will work fine

Boolit Grand Master

The spray cooking oils work okay and provide a thin coating once the even out, But like most aresols over spray and drift can be an added mess. Paste wax from floor wax tp automotive wax also work well and arnt as messy. Oils and greases will also work as a release agent. Any wax or oil that can keep the epoxy from adhereing to the barrel / action is fine. Another good insurance policy is to fil all the holes and cut out with clay so a mechanical lock cant be made. Lipstick works well for spotting and inletting as does simple smoke. I have used a carbide miners lamp I have for smoking rifle sights for this and it works good. The trick is something you can see and can be applied in a fine even coat. The finer the better. I start with a heavy coat when beginning and keep spreading it around and as the work gets finer so does the spotting medium. The carbon from the miners lamp mixed with a little oil works good for this. then a q-tip or small cloth dauber to apply.

Boolit Buddy

Ditto Johnson's paste wax. Lots of other uses as well. Light coat on all metal surfaces if you are hunting in wet weather for one.

Smoky oil lamp will work as well for inletting black.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Banned
    Hundreds in a gun but won't spend 35 bucks for a 20 gun supply of the right release agent ? You can also use Bondo to bed the gun in. False economy, I would say.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen bondo, 5 min epoxy, jb weld, Marine tex, and plastic steel. Bondo is hard to being brittle and may chip and crack the shrinkage on it curing is also a problem. The Jb was on a M1A during the nationals as a emergency repair when a rifle quit shooting by a room mate in the hut. It was more a quicky glue in than a bedding job. LB weld dosnt do bad but is hard to work with. The marine tex was the fad a few years ago and does do a decent job. Its white in color and needs dyed to look good. I did one rifle with it and it took 2 coats 1 to fill and a skim coat after. It did seem on the brittle side to me. The plastic steel was good and has been used for years more expensive than alot of the actual bedding compounds and I believe the smallest amount is 1 quart size. For most uses I prefer Bisonite, acra glass gel, and micro bed in that order. For release agent the brownels that comes with the accra glass kit is good. Pam works and is available everywhere just don't touch it after applying and give it a short time to even out. Paste waxes also work well, I put a first coat on and buff out then a second light coat and let dry. second coat is applied in opposite direction to the first to help cover any spots missed. Paste wax and thebrownels are better if you coat both action and stock. Pam may wipe off or thin when coating the receiver.

Boolit Grand Master

As I stated I have used a bunch of different release agents. My preference are the ones like in Bisonite http://www.championshooters.com/inde...=25&Itemid=111 that when dry leave zero revisable residue or buildup. None of the common alternative release agents have given me any issues. As to what the "right" release agent is I don't have a clue. There is only one I will never use for bedding actions and that is http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod41622.aspx since it leaves a realitively thick coating when dry. I do like it for the floor plates and actions screw due to it's thickness.

Last couple I did I used Hornady one shot case lube. Worked very well.

Boolit Buddy
    Johnson's Paste Wax always worked fine for me.

Mike

I bought a half used can of Johnson's Paste Wax years ago & have used it as a release agent on many rifles. Looks like that can will last my life time!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I smoke with masking tape rolled up and lit, works well to blacken sights.
    And use shoe polish for release agent, neutral put on thick or thin works good dry or wet.
    For bedding compound I have used jb weld, devcon steel bed, accuraglass and others, they all work just mix a sample and let it sit to see how it sets up, rock hard or hard rubber. Dollar store play dough for filling voids and holes.
    Be well
    Last edited by leebuilder; 08-04-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Why $35 dollar spray? The brush on works and is cheap. The Johnsons paste wax cleans off easier though.

Boolit Master
    I started using marine tex about 5 years ago, and never had a problem. I use a lantern to smoke for inletting, and JPW for release agent. I try and keep thing simple.

Boolit Grand Master
    Johnson paste wax and/or the blue alcohol bases stuff in the kit.

Used the paste wax as the alcohol based stuff was dry. I hear you can revive it with 99% isopropyl or the isopropyl gas dryer.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast