Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom vs. mainsteam commerical

Banned

Custom vs. mainsteam commerical

I use a variety of molds but I've become fond of RCBS. Unfortunately, RCBS = 2 cavities at best.

Lyman offers 4 cavity molds but I've heard too many complaints about their current quality to take a chance.

I like iron molds and I'm willing to put up with the weight and storage issues of iron.

That leaves me with Saeco, one of the custom mold makers or a "vintage" mold.

I'm looking for a 38/.357 mold that is similar to the RCBS 38-150-SWC (or Lyman 358477), made of iron and with 4 cavities.

The Saeco #382 looks close and is in the ballpark price wise but I'm looking for advice from fellow forum members.

What say you?

Super Moderator

I too like RCBS molds, they are my favorite brand of commercial mold for sure. I'm perfectly fine with a 2 cavity mold however. I don't use a mold guide, and just free hand them. I don't relish the idea of doing that with a 4 cavity iron mold. Another option would be to get a 4 cav brass mold from Accurate or Noe, once again...heavy.

Boolit Master

over the years I have got lyman, rcbs, noe, lbt molds for different reasons and can say none of them have failed to do what they were made for. IF you need a mold that is not normally made then custom is the way to go and if it meets your needs then what more can you ask from a mold
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    What I want is a 4 cavity RCBS 38-150-SWC.....but no such animal exists.

The Saeco looks close. I'd be curious if anyone has experience with the #382

Contact Accurate Molds. Top quality at a more than competitive price. Your choice Iron, Bronze, Aluminum, fast delivery.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Super Moderator

That RCBS 38-150 is my favorite 38 Cal mold.

Boolit Master

I've got a 4C RCBS mold.

You could look for a H&G or check Accurate.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Banned
    The H&G #51 would be great but they're hard to find.

I'd like to hear from someone with a Saeco #382 mold.

Boolit Bub
    I have an older 3 cavity Saeco 382 it is a great design it's very accurate in my .38's and has been pretty good in my .357's. My particular mold is kind of picky about technique it is one that has no venting on the halves. I do have a new Saeco 180 gr. .357 mold that is great.

Banned
    Thanks superdan

Boolit Grand Master

I to use a variety of moulds for large rifle calibers (BPCR). I currently have Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Brooks, Boomers, Baco and Old West. Most of the rcbs, lyman, baco and brooks are single cavity the Lee, Brooks and old west are all double cavity. Lees are aluminum, lyman, rcbs, brooks and baco are mehanite. The Old west are brass. All cast good bullets and the brooks baco old west and boomers are a real pleasure to use.
    One trick is buy 2 2 cavity moulds and cast with them in tandem this saves the time waiting for the cast to cool and solidify. 2 2cavity in tandem cast faster for me than a single 4 cavity due to the saved time once the cadence is learned.

Boolit Master
    I consider Saeco molds the best factory production molds, the only down side is that most cast to minimal dimensions ( or at least listed diameters), they don't cast oversize like some makes, IMHO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I consider Saeco molds the best factory production molds, the only down side is that most cast to minimal dimensions ( or at least listed diameters), they don't cast oversize like some makes, IMHO.
    That's good to know. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I bought a NOE 158 SWC that is a 5 cavity. It is accurate and not that expensive.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    I've got a 4C RCBS mold.

You could look for a H&G or check Accurate.
    I would love to see a picture, to the best of my knowledge they never cataloged a 4 cavity.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Watch Evil Bay. I fond a vintage Lyman 4 cavity 150 gr with the sharp not rounded meplat.
    I have the 150gr 358 RCBS and it is a great mold but a two cavity is a pain in the buttocks to make production (1K or more)
    I have shot thousands of these bullets both slow and fast and they are they are the best for me.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Arsenal molds may make an RCBS multi cavity clone, seems they have been steadily adding to their catalog.

Boolit Master
    I like RCBS too, I find using two double cavity molds at the same time more comfortable and still puts out a good amount.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would love to see a picture, to the best of my knowledge they never cataloged a 4 cavity.
    They didn't. This is one that someone did a bubba job on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-27 15.16.24-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	201513
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, just when you think you have seen it all. They have some great designs but i am not sure I would go that far for a 4c. Nice find.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast