Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: FINALLY got back out with the BREN 805 and some cast loads

FINALLY got back out with the BREN 805 and some cast loads

I was checking load development with a number of different slugs, some J-word, some boolits, and the cast ones are what we like here, so here we go. All rounds fired from a front rest and 50 yards, no magnification, red dot only.
    I had one load with a gas checked linotype HM2 boolit over 22 grains of Winchester 748 powder. Edited on 8/4 to correct charge from 21 to 22 grains, no idea why I typed the wrong one!

Function was flawless.

Now the one that really threw me was the Bator bullet. It was difficult to load with my Lee dies, and you can see the offset rings on the boolits from the seating stem. Run out was bad, so expected nothing whatsoever from them, just noise and smoke and with the short round and odd profile, a whole lot of jammed rounds.

As always, I am an idiot. My CZ BREN 805 fed and fired them without a burp, (she's a lady, never burps in front of company, and there were others on the line), and the results were quite surprising. No blowby on any loads, either, recoil similar to a jacketed round.

This bears looking in to, don't you think? Any ideas on seating them better?

Oh, and just for grins and giggles, I had this group...ain't that a heart breaker?

Last edited by armoredman; 08-04-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Ok, so it wasn't that interesting. No worries! I will still have fun testing this stuff out - the different boolits that fine gentleman sent me will not be wasted, for certain!

Where are you getting data for 748 and boolits?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Ok, so it wasn't that interesting.
    I think it was very interesting. Keep it coming!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Now that they feed and fire without a hitch , it's a small matter to fine accuracy with a fine lady like that right ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Jack, now you can get some good loads worked up, and maybe some of the cast AR shooters here will help out with their recipes!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Thank you. The 62 grain boolit shows promise - the 55 gr Bator is the one that surprised me the most, but I have to deal with a heckufa time seating them. The standard 223 seating ste in my Lee dies don't like the Bator style boolit at all!
    Now PC'ing these babies is a LOT of fun...getting them stay standing on the tray while moving it to the oven!

Thumbcocker, I don't remember where I dug up a starting load, to be honest, but it seemed to work. I prefer ball powders as being easier to meter.

A detailed cleaning of the BREN did reveal some light leading on the face of the gas piston. This might be from the high hardness of the Linotype boolits - next session will have all one type of lead only. The gas port itself was clean and clear.

OK, this is weird. Got back out with another 40 test rounds, half Bator, half HM2, all wheel weight bullets powder coated by yours truly. So, when loading the Bators, again I had REALLY bad run out on half of them, bullets obviously leaning over. Honestly, I'm willing to bet most people here would have junked them...I'm stupid and reckless. I shot them.

I split my time between my BREN 805 and the CZ P-10C, both shooting cast powder coated boolits, BTW.

I loaded up the bad ones, get them out of the way, as it were...
    And I was stunned.

The ones with good run out didn't do as well.

And the 62 grainers were as average as before.

Again, functioning was flawless and brass showed very little blow by, so this load at least keeps it sealed up. Onward and upwards!

I have fired good groups with ugly ammo with large sd &es and runout. It just goes to show that ballistics is still a dark art. If you ever think you have eliminated all the variables- think again my friend. I 've also meticulously loaded benchrest quality ammo and fired ho-hum groups.
    C'est la vie say the old folks; it goes to show you never can tell.
    RIP Chuck Berry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So again, this time just with only the Bators at 100 yards, not 50, and using TUB as the reactive target. I didn't bother separating "bad runout" from "good runout", and just loaded them all together. They evened out. Again, functioning was flawless.

Fired kneeling, braced on the bench, unmagnified, 5MOA red dot....I really need a smaller dot...

I didn't think that was half bad. Most groups looked like this.

This was the last 5

There was no blow by on the brass, but these that I had originally deprimed/resized with RCBS Case Lube showed some weird markings as they aged, but cleaned up shiny. Weird.

Guys, for what it is, I am impressed. Again, not one burp. Also, when I got home I stripped the gun down - no leading in the barrel, no lead in the gas port, fouling in the gas tube and piston face, but 90% of that was carbon buildup - I used my new tool from CZ-USA to make sure. No, I didn't have this earlier, and it makes a difference!

I have decided that that the name Bator is too oddball, non descriptive. In keeping with it's blunt shape and always effective nature I rechristen thee, WAR CLUBS!