RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9mm leading

9mm leading

Hi. Ive been tying to make my p94 9mm shoot lead. I'm using ww air cooled 4 grains bullseye slugged my barrel at .355 sizing bullets to .357 using 2500+ lube. belling with lyman m die. I used the lee factory crimp die. I set it so it just removes the flair. I'm thinking that could be the problem. I don't get the min over all length. I'm using the lee 124 gr TC if I have it set to min over all length it would expose the lube groove. Am I missing something. this gun leads up pretty bad after a dozen rounds. I have done real well with all my other caibers but this one is not liking what I'm doing. Help Please.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Try using Johnson past wax.
    Take a jar and put the heads in and a scoop
    of jpw. Then heat the jar till the wax melts.
    Take the boolits out and stand them on
    wax paper over night.
    then make your loads.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Try seating without the Lee FC, it may be sizing your boolits down. One way to find out if that is the problem is to pull a seated boolit and measure.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Try seating without the Lee FC, it may be sizing your boolits down. One way to find out if that is the problem is to pull a seated boolit and measure.
    "Ding-Ding!" . . . that'd be my first move too...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Might help some folks help you if you mention if the leading is near the chamber, near the muzzle or streaking down the barrel from one to the other.

G'luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    My thinking also. I'd pull a bullet from a completed reload and measure the bullet. (But I wouldn't use an FCD anyway because of the troubles I've had in the past with them).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Hi. Ive been tying to make my p94 9mm shoot lead. I'm using ww air cooled 4 grains bullseye slugged my barrel at .355 sizing bullets to .357 using 2500+ lube. belling with lyman m die. I used the lee factory crimp die. I set it so it just removes the flair. I'm thinking that could be the problem. I don't get the min over all length. I'm using the lee 124 gr TC if I have it set to min over all length it would expose the lube groove. Am I missing something. this gun leads up pretty bad after a dozen rounds. I have done real well with all my other caibers but this one is not liking what I'm doing. Help Please.
    According to Lyman CBHB4, 4gr of BE is near 30Kpsi.
    air-cooled COWW can handle up to 25Kpsi (according to LASC)
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    If your WW alloy has some Stick-On WW mixed, then Max pressure would be less.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Throw away the crimp die. Remove the flare by using your seating die.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

I'm with the other guys, don't use the FCD, and seat and crimp in separate operations, I have a regular crimp die for all my auto pistol cartridges.

Thanks guys. I will load a few tonight with out the factory crimp die and see if that helps. This is the first time I have used the m-die and I really like it. I might try a light load of unique see if that makes a difference. A slower powder might help, might not I will find out. Thanks again.

I agree, LFCD, a solution looking for a problem. I shoot 0.357" bullets in al my 9mm, no leading. I load on an older set of rcbs dies, taper crimp in separate step.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using 4 gr of Bullseye under 115 - 124 gr cast bullets for years in multiple guns with complete success......but then the last 20+ years since COWW composition changed I've added 2% tin. That makes a much better alloy, and better bullets. I also size mostly at .357 but I load on a Dillon SDB with the propriety dies.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I use the Lee Die set. Same steps as if I were loading jacketed bullets. Go with JBinMN said and look for were your leading is at. Location of leading will tell you what's wrong with the boollits. When I first started in 9mm, I leaded near the muzzle in High Point C9 and a Taurs PT 809. I was using a soft pan lube of bee wax and pet with a little candle wax to make it harder. Started using Ben's LL over that soft lube solved my leading near the muzzle. I use the Lee 125 Grn bullet over 4 Grn of Tite Group ( i havnet tuned this load but i hit steel at 25 yards with it, so i am happy for now. one project at a time).
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    +1 on slowing it down and adding 2% tin.
    You should start with a low load and work your way up to where that particular firearm works the best for you Cleaning the barrel thoroughly between each load.

Boolit Buddy
    Went through this some years ago, major cause of leading is under sized bullets. Was using LEE TL356-124 2R mold and they where under sized, when I checked them they read good but as I spin the bullet they where way under and out of round. Went to a Lee 356-125-2R mold that I could open up a little and when sized I could see a clean cut around the entire bullet. The first mold would only show spots of cutting. Haven’t had a problem since and sized at 356, check for out of round and a clean cut around the bullet
    Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    I had the same problem when I started loading 9MM's. I now size to .358 or .357 depending on the slug from the pistol bore slug. I size about 1.5 over. I expand the case with my version of an M die and bell the mouth. Stay away from the Lee FCD. Whether lubed or PC'd you should have no problem.

the leading was all the way down the barrel

Boolit Master

I agree with others in sounding like an undersized boolit. I would slug the barrel with an old bell sinker or 000 buck ball and compare that to the as cast boolit diameter first before I questioned anything else. Would only take about 30 minutes and would either confirm or eliminate the normal culprit.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG67 View Post
    Throw away the crimp die. Remove the flare by using your seating die.
    This!

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Thank you for the posts. I loaded up 20 rounds right after work and skipped the lee factory crimp die and went out and shot ten in my P94 and ten in my FM High power no leading so that was good. I used four grains unique. It was a real mild load and all rounds in both guns cycled and fed without a hiccup. I tested a couple bullets and they were a seco 6 on my tester so I think my WW are a little week. its been almost two weeks since I cast them. I'm not looking for a full power load just a accurate and fun steel plinking load. I'm also on the hunt for a Keltec sub 2000 to shoot lead in. Thanks again guys.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast