MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Boar with .401- 285gr WFNGC hardcast- waterdropped

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    His caliber development is pretty good but his semi custom work leaves a gun rather gaudy. It's personal preference and I will also say in many cases the load development is incomplete. Gary is never wrong just ask him.........
    Yes, that is true. I never shopped much with his business. First few times I did I found the customer service a bit on the rough side. Rudeness just never rubbed me the right way. And I was, and had, worked for both Andy's and Ruff's gun businesses in Flag, so never spent much time at his shop on Rt. 66. Any custom work I had done was done by Ed Haven at his Hunters Haven gunsmithing business. But, Gary does come up with some unique Wildcats.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Yes, that is true. I never shopped much with his business. First few times I did I found the customer service a bit on the rough side. Rudeness just never rubbed me the right way. And I was, and had, worked for both Andy's and Ruff's gun businesses in Flag, so never spent much time at his shop on Rt. 66. Any custom work I had done was done by Ed Haven at his Hunters Haven gunsmithing business. But, Gary does come up with some unique Wildcats.
    Well you got it right. But frankly you are being very nice to them. But when have cult like following you can chase away business and still make money off the followers of the cult......

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Well you got it right. But frankly you are being very nice to them. But when have cult like following you can chase away business and still make money off the followers of the cult......

True, I spent from 1981 to 2012 in the firearms retail business, in three states. AZ, TX, MN. Never have I run into more arrogant, self-serving, staff. I am sure they drove away lots of potential customers, lots of them would come to our shops. Flagstaff is not THAT big a town. Word always travels fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    Yes, that's very impressive. What is the meplat diameter of the before boolit if u wouldn't mind. ?? . how heavy is the hog ? Looks big compared to your handgun.
    Hog is 48" around chest- 280lb +/-
    meplat = 80%, this is from a mountainmold design I did a few years back.

Sean

True, I spent from 1981 to 2012 in the firearms retail business, in three states. AZ, TX, MN. Never have I run into more arrogant, self-serving, staff. I am sure they drove away lots of potential customers, lots of them would come to our shops. Flagstaff is not THAT big a town. Word always travels fast.
    That's strange, I have known Gary for quite a few years and he has always been nice. Maybe not to jerks, you know kinda like those that go out of there way to run down others .

Sean

Boolit Master
    Sean you do some load development for Gary don't you?

Sean you do some load development for Gary don't you?
    Yes.

Sean

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 475/480 View Post
    Hog is 48" around chest- 280lb +/-
    meplat = 80%, this is from a mountainmold design I did a few years back.

Sean
    Thank you. That is a nice looking boolit. Expanded And traveled in a straight line.
    On a side note, I would imagine those wild hogs hides would make some very good leather for belts, holsters, rifle scabards and bags.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by 475/480 View Post
    That's strange, I have known Gary for quite a few years and he has always been nice. Maybe not to jerks, you know kinda like those that go out of there way to run down others .

Sean
    Well Sean, I guess you should read a little more carefully. I SAID STAFF, not gary, or his son. BIG DIFFERENCE. And you can believe me when I say I never go out of my way to belittle or talk someone's business down. If you want to be in the public eye as a business than you are accountable. I guess by your standards someone who has been in the business over thirty years shouldn't mention rude counter help. And if you do, than of course that is where the real problem lies. Unless you have been in the business in question on a on and off basis for thirty years, I will discount your opinion greatly. So get a life. I see your from the Houston area. When I went to work for Arthur Gochman who started and owned Academy back in 82, he never would have grown his business if he had some of the counter help that was working at Gary's business.

Well Sean, I guess you should read a little more carefully. I SAID STAFF, not gary, or his son. BIG DIFFERENCE. And you can believe me when I say I never go out of my way to belittle or talk someone's business down. If you want to be in the public eye as a business than you are accountable. I guess by your standards someone who has been in the business over thirty years shouldn't mention rude counter help. And if you do, than of course that is where the real problem lies. Unless you have been in the business in question on a on and off basis for thirty years, I will discount your opinion greatly. So get a life. I see your from the Houston area. When I went to work for Arthur Gochman who started and owned Academy back in 82, he never would have grown his business if he had some of the counter help that was working at Gary's business.
    Since you are so thoughtful, surely you don't have to mention these things in someone else's post about hog hunting.

Sean

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I know I'm new here, but this kind of derail doesn't add to Cast Boolits.
    This looks like a good round , great looking boolits and a great fast kill.
    That's the kind of stuff that attracted me to this forum . No doubt there are threads for talking about gun builders and their pros and cons.
    You are being watched.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Nice pig . Nice performance .

Why such a heavy weight ?
    I get it if it's the mould you had for the cal at hand , I've done that once or twice myself .

I've had 5 pass throughs on 5 hogs with a 45 Colts carbine at a sedate 1200 fps MV with assorted 250-265s . None that big however . But 18" through with a 1/2" exit hole through the flexy part of the on side shoulder blade isn't bad at 50 yd .
    Not a criteque just a question.

As for staff a hand full of poor interactions will break even the most desirable makers .
    There are several shops around I won't even go into anymore just because if I didn't have a gold card and a pocket full of hundreds falling out I wasn't worth their time and they knew way more about what I wanted than I did .
    On the other side of it , I've known plenty of people that come off dry and opinionated . Turns out a fair number of them just have a very wry tone about them and can and often are a hoot once you figure that out .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Yes 285gr is a little heavy for 40 cal , I had this and another 41 cal mould at 255gr I could have sized down. This bullet shot good so I used it. I will say that this bullet did stop on the offside shoulder, a good sized hog.

Sean

Boolit Master
    this thread is about the performance of a cast boolit not your thoughts on a gun store
    They are your thoughts and you can have them -- but they no place here

Boolit Buddy

Nice job. The last hog I took was with a 41 cal 250 WFN style. Those wide meplat boolits sure hammer them. I need to go again soon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12