MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 35 Herrett?

Boolit Master

35 Herrett?

How involved is it to form 35 Herrett from 30-30?
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Grand Master
    Easy as pie. Run it through a FL die / expander button and you are done. Also need to do the regular trimming, champhoring, flash hole uniforming, etc.

Boolit Master

takes a little more than "regular" trimming
    and there is fire forming

Boolit Master
    Thanks guy's, sounds easy enough!
    Aaron

Now to find some dies.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both the 30 Herrett and the 35 Herrett. I cut mine to just a hair long after I run it through the expander with a power miter box and finish trimming like any other cartridge. Saves MUCH time trying to trim it all with a hand cranking trimmer.

Boolit Grand Master

When forming for a contender the shoulder is the critical part of the operation Set your die so the case shoulder provides a slight tension when closing. Otherwise it a simple neck up operation I have polished my ball to a mirror finish to smooth operation a tapered expander is even better. I use a file and trim die to rough cut the brass and a 32 tpi jewelers saw. I cut to +.010 then trim with trimmer. You need to remove around a 1/4" from the case when formed.

Boolit Master
    First you have to buy the dies and they are not cheap these days. I have watched them on auction sites and they bring about twice the price of a standard die set. Don't forget to anneal the cases after forming or after the first fire forming.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Improper forming will cause misfires. The shoulder is critical. Once case is fireformed, back off the resize dies about .1".
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    When forming for a contender the shoulder is the critical part of the operation Set your die so the case shoulder provides a slight tension when closing. Otherwise it a simple neck up operation I have polished my ball to a mirror finish to smooth operation a tapered expander is even better. I use a file and trim die to rough cut the brass and a 32 tpi jewelers saw. I cut to +.010 then trim with trimmer. You need to remove around a 1/4" from the case when formed.
    This^^^!
    Setting the Full-length sizer a little high, then trimming to proper length, will allow a second fine sizer die adjustment that causes a tight fit at the shoulder when closing the action to fire-form... You should adjust till the case barely allows the action to close. A "snap-fit" on a TC-type action will pay off in both long-term fit and accuracy.
    If your newly formed case allows the action to close easily before fire-forming, you've pushed the shoulder further back than you needed too... Back the FL sizer die off to find a slight shoulder "crush-fit" for optimal long-term results.