WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iver Johnson .410

Boolit Master
    If you don't hunt, I don't see the point in the .410.
    Exactly what my son said. Exactly what I've been thinking. Then again, I have a .50-70, and all the dinosaurs are gone.
    I have a Winchester Self Loader .32, which has been called "the most useless cartridge invented - too big for small game, too small for big game." But it is a cool gun.

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    opinion ---- the price is high but if you look real interested it will stay there . Offer 125, next ,reloading will cost a lot to set up , best would be to check gun auction sites and you can find 410 for around $5 to 6 a box . 410 is a different reloading curve , hulls dont last unless you want to stay with a 2-1/2 load , then you can use 444 brass and load by hand .
    hope you find what you want
    Have you priced some 410 shells lately?? They are pricely. My first official gun was Grandpa's bolt 410./ I could use it whenever I wanted. It was a bolt action with a magazine that held 2 other shells. It was only a 2 1/2 icher. Got a few ribbits and a lot of squrrils. It had a tendancy to break the bolt then you had to take it to a gunsmith to get it braised back together. Finley he told grandpa and me that there wasn't enough left to do it again so that was the last time he could fix it. I sold it to a cousin on the other side of the family and got a Ted Williams 20 gage pump form Sears. Couldn't hit rabbits near as well, but could get pheasants, quail, and huns.
    By the way the hardest gun I ever shot was a single shot 20 that my buddy had It was light and about 3 - 4" too short. Got beat every time I pulled the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    I have 12's and .410's, nothing in between and at this point probably will not. Looking back on what I have used a shotgun for I would have been served very well with a 20 ga. shotgun or three. That is from a practical point of view.

This ceased to be practical years ago, who on earth needs to load for as many calibers as some of us on this forum. I quit trying to justify it years ago, I want to play with a new caliber or old gun I will if I can.

Have fun!
    Dave

A .410 slug is 90 grains @ 1600 for. Make of that what you will. When dove are storming a water hole; a .410 is sweet to have along. Currently we have a 18" Rossi single and a beautiful old Topper 26" full choke with factory walnut stocks. They are mostly used for yard work (pests) but that H&R is squirrel King when the trees are leaded out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

When the trees have leaves lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Let's see I've got an Iver Johnson Hercules SxS 410 for about 40 years . Works very nicely for Dove , skeet and quail . Had a little German guild O/U 410 almost as long , it isn't a bad little gun . Two years ago I picked a new in the Case Browning Superposed 410 circa 1970 26 1/2" skeet and skeet . Shot some nice rounds with it . I've probably loaded 20,000 410's on the old Ponsness Warren 800C I had . At the moment my 410 loader is a MEC 600JR which will be upgraded to a MaeC 9000 if a decentbused one surfaces . I like a 410 , I love a 28 , I like a 20 , I love a 16 , I like a 12 and I most certainly love a 2 7/8" 10 . And yes I have at least one of each gauge .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

While not a big fan of the 410, if that IJ is in nice shape I would buy it in a hart beat. The older SS
    shotguns of IJ, H&R, Stevens are quality guns. The singles of later manufacture by these same
    companies are junk, along with NEF, Rossi, ect. You can't be hurt at $160, in a face to face I
    would by it just to flip. 410s are nice to have just for fun guns. My wife killed her first 7 deer with
    a Savage 24 with scope. That and a old Bay State are the only 410s I own. With all the HD 410s
    pushed you would think some one would bring out a set of dies for rifle press at a reasonable
    price. The only downside to them is ammo price.

Boolit Master
    I went back to the store and looked at it. It's a well made, heavy shotgun, but I passed - for now anyways. I have the single shot New England Pardner 20 ga with a .410 sleeve ($20 for the sleeve).
    If I don't buy a gun that I put on hold within a day or two, I usually pass on it.

Boolit Buddy
    It is definitely worth reloading. I bought one and with two kids shooting "backyard skeet", it paid for itself in less than one summer. The factory loaded shells cost the same or more than 12 gauge shells and have only a fraction of the lead. The primer and wad costs are virtually the same, no matter what gauge is loaded. Powder costs are less, but that depends on powder type and type of powder.

I single stage MEC will load all you need. Plus a single stage is easier to use for the powder drop into the "tiny" hulls.

Hey Battis
    Your original question of "is it worth it?" simply brings the qualifier, what do you want? If shooting a 410 is desirable, it is most definitely worth it. When entering the world of small bore shotguns, nothing is fair. Prices of factory ammo eliminate all but the most foolish or wealthy. Scattergun limitations apply much more harshly in nearly all applications. Even though 410 users are almost a cult, they do not enjoy popularity. My love of the 410 goes back over 55 years and I have reloaded 410s for 45 of them. Starting off with a MEC 650, it served me for almost 30 years. Now a MEC sizemaster takes care of my little gems.
    Attachment 202849
    On the left side of the press is a box of Remington 3" shells cut down to 2 1/2" loaded with #5 ish home made shot. We get possum, armadillo, coyote and raccoon along with a healthy smattering of assorted ferrel. Those on the right in a 44 mag case box are 2" specials. There are examples of slugs and tri-ball as well. All my 410 shells come off the single press. After loading tens of thousands 410, it has been worth it.
    For lite varmit duty around home and informal close trap as you described, 2" shells. Even the kids who are just big enough to handle grandpa's gun, don't mind the mild kick. Step up a notch and 2 1/2" loading comes off the same machine but at a much higher production rate. The MEC sizemaster, as most MECs do, will also load 3" shells for that extra whump something might be needing. Slugs and punkin balls can be done with traditional fold crimp or buy a roll crimper. Yeah I have and load for other gauges. For some applications the 410 is not the logical choice, don't use it. As a challenge to skill in shooting and loading, the 410 is tits in my book. Good skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Banned
    I like 410's have several, load for them, and shoot them every week. Have all the other size bores as well. Used to be invited to a corporate game farm every year to help guide the "shooters", killed a bunch of stocked pheasants with my 11-48 skeet

Boolit Master
    I passed on the Iver Johnson but I got a Mossberg 183D-A bolt action. I won a door prize of $35, the gun was $95, so it cost me $60. Nice little gun.
    Last edited by Battis; 09-10-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    For a challenging target with the .410 get a Ritz Rocket.It's now sold as the cracker thrower by Sporting Clays.They can throw a Ritz cracker a considerable distance.

Boolit Master
    Not a 410 but today I walked in my lgs and saw a Iver Johnson Champion 12 ga with a 36 inch barrel. It was made between 1940 and 1950 and is in 98% condition, wood and metal. Case color is bright. No wood dings and no rust. Stock is uncut. This gun must have been bought new and not used at all down through the years. I paid $135 out the door. I'm proud to own the old gun and though I will shoot it and may hunt with it, this Champion will be treated like a king.

Banned
    Old thread but good. I found an Iver Johnson 410 in dad's stuff 2 years ago that he picked up at some auction somewhere. It's far from perfect and I have always been wondering about it.
    After reading this I will keep it, just because.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Research showed that letters and not numbers were were used in place of serial numbers between 1940 and 1956. Mine falls within this interval. No data maintained to show year of production. If my gun is representative, they were meticulously well made. I'm not young, and will make certain that the next owner will care for this shotgun even if I have to give it to him.

Boolit Master
    I have an Ivers and Johnson 20ga sxs made in the mid 30s. If it is indicative of the IJ build quality then the Champion is top notch!
    I bought the gun in fairly sad cosmetic shape. I soaked the oil from the wood and refinished. The real eyeopener was when I disassembled the frame to clean up the pitting and rust blue it. The parts inside were hand fit, it showed more care and quality than several Beretta ou guns I have been inside! Everything was stoned to a polish where ever it interacted with another part, and everything was heat treated, no visable wear to the lock parts. Pretty awesome for a " hardwear store gun " !
    I'm on the hunt for a little skeeter or herc in 410, now I think a Champion has neen added to the want list!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Its aling the same line as my snake charmer. I pare it with my 3" judge. I'm presently loading compression formed Winchester hulls with 15.4 gr 2400 and 1 000 over 4 00 in a 2 1/2" AA wad
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage 24 in 410/22 and consider it to be about the best grouse gun there is. The 22 with shorts for sitting birds and 3/4 oz of #9s loaded in a 444 case drops them nicely. I also recently bought a single shot Hatfield 410 at Walmart for $99. It isn't built as solid as the old guns but it looks like it will hold up fairly well. It has a 28" vented rib barrel, 3" chamber and folds up to barrel length. I haven't shot it much but so far happy with it

Boolit Master
    That reminds me, all you fellow 410 addicts should take a look at the Yildiz tk36. Its a folding 410 with a 28 inch mod choke plain barrel and beautiful wood. For 130$ new!!! It weighs 3.3 lbs, and shoots very well. I like singles and have HR and a Stevens 94 in 28ga as well, but the little Yildiz is a favorite. Even got one that shoots 32SWL.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast