Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Booking a hunt/Outfitter

Boolit Grand Master

Booking a hunt/Outfitter

So I'm thinking of looking into a hunt out west for next year. Unsure of species but thinking either Pronghorn or Mule Deer.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as outfitters, location, exercising due diligence, etc?

Boolit Master

Speaking from ignorance, do State Conservation Departments offer any guidance?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned

they probably have a list of names they license.

if you just want a representative Pronghorn.
    put in for the hunt.
    and go out yourself, if your not seeing anything ask a local.
    there is more antelope in Wyoming that there are citizens of the state so they ain't that hard to find.

Boolit Master

for mule deer, in south dakota i would recommend Bad River Bucks& Birds. not cheap, but a first class operation.

In Remembrance

Check out the Casper, Wy chamber of commerce for a list of reccomended guides/outfitters for both goats and deer. Harold Ullery was my go to for hunts for those animals, shame he is now retired. He was the owner of `Frosty`s` bar in Casper also. His favorite rifle was a rebarreled G33/40 Mauser in 7 mm Mauser caliber.Robert

Boolit Master

Double check with the state conservation department on numbers for the year. I had an antelope hunt scheduled this fall for Wyoming, but apparently they had zero fawn survival this spring, late winter snow I guess. We put our hunt off a year or two because of it. we like to take 3 or 4 a piece so low numbers and local harvest might make it harder to obtain over the counter tags for areas we like to hunt. Just something to think about.

Boolit Master
    The best way is to talk with someone who has hunted recently with the outfitter....then talk with the outfitter/guide and see how you get along with them, check references. I have been west for Mule Deer and Antelope hunt, and a second trip for an Antelope hunt with Flatwillow Creek Outfitters out of Winnett Montana. They are a first class operation, a bit pricey...(who isn't these days)....but my information is 10 yrs old. Licenses, particularly for Antelope are a potential problem....need to draw for particular areas. They can be hard to get.

Be sure to check out references, game departments and other references before spending your money. There are some charlatans out there.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    The best way is to talk with someone who has hunted recently with the outfitter....then talk with the outfitter/guide and see how you get along with them, check references. I have been west for Mule Deer and Antelope hunt, and a second trip for an Antelope hunt with Flatwillow Creek Outfitters out of Winnett Montana. They are a first class operation, a bit pricey...(who isn't these days)....but my information is 10 yrs old. Licenses, particularly for Antelope are a potential problem....need to draw for particular areas. They can be hard to get.

Be sure to check out references, game departments and other references before spending your money. There are some charlatans out there.
    Considering everything you can see at the time from Winnett is black burned country, and still on fire, I wouldn't bet on that area too strongly this year. Somewhere over a quarter million acres burned so far.

Antelope numbers, and mule deer numbers are down in Montana. SW Montana may be a place to try, probably for a cow permit you could get a decent hunt. Lots better eating than a bull, by a long shot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Considering everything you can see at the time from Winnett is black burned country, and still on fire, I wouldn't bet on that area too strongly this year. Somewhere over a quarter million acres burned so far.

Antelope numbers, and mule deer numbers are down in Montana. SW Montana may be a place to try, probably for a cow permit you could get a decent hunt. Lots better eating than a bull, by a long shot.
    What a pity.........great country.

Boolit Master

i should add, its always seemed that good outfitters/guides are typically booked out a year or two in advance.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I need to start looking for next year.

Boolit Master
    Ask on this site and you will probably get multiple reply's.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Banned
    Almost pointless to hunt Mulies as the herd has been decimated by a horrible winter and loss of habitat to McMansions, UNLESS you hire a great outfitter, get in great shape and are willing to hunt in rough high county. Good Mulie bucks don't hang out in the flatlands.

Antelope, can be a do it yourself hunt IF you do the research. If not, Go the state Game & Fish sites, get a list of licensed outfitters, contact them and ask for references. In the West there are many scab and 1/2 assed outfits. Good recommendations may be found in American Hunter magazine, Guns & Ammo and other high end sporting magazines.

If you decide to hunt NW WY, contact Trophy Mountain Outfitters, great outfitter !

http://www.trophymountainoutfitters.com

Boolit Buddy
    Hunting in Montanna through outfitter five times for elk/deer, Harvested 4 brown tine bulls in 5 years. Here is some advise: 1.Call and talk to owner, then have him give you 3-4 four most recent hunters in camp and call them Success rate they will over stated and is closer to 50% for first week and goes down after every week for rifle. In there eyes if you see a bull elk and didn't even pull trigger it was a "success". Ask about terrain and how they hunt( horses, 4 wheelers, trucks). Ask specifically how many animals were harvested in each week of hunting and size. Ask about guides and how much experience, as this is all over the map as many first times guides they say have way too much experience and don't know terrain and animals. Stay away from start ups as they have no money and will not be a good deal for you. Ask about first blood policy. Ask what can be harvested , type( brown tine bull only, mule deer, etc). Many will have you buy multiple license and there may be no animals to even hunt. It can be a long drive home! I can share good stories and one very bad story( no food, over booked # of hunters/guide when we paid for one on one guides, unethical guides recommending shooting 1000+ yards, fighting among guides, no camp cook, I you saw an elk run at 1000+ yards it was a success rate of 100% in the guides eyes, etc!)

Let's hope my Southern Montana Mule Deer hunt goes well for this November, Tags are already in hand and a 2300 mile road trip ahead. So far, I haven't heard that HD410 has been burnt to bad.