RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ship brass?

I have shipped lots of cast bullets. I pack them DOUBLE in those Tyvek envelopes. I stuff the MFRB boxes with newspapers to take up the slack.
    Brass gets shipped the same way. Use the nylon reinforced tape on all the corners and edges. Never had a problem. I think the MFRB is the most cost effective way to ship 1000+ brass.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by durango View Post
    Don't forget the padded flat rate envelopes-same price as SFRBs. You can get two SFRBs into an envelope. I just shipped 56 lbs. of lead in this manner! I'm guessing that if shipping small brass, a couple Tyvek envelopes inside the padded envelope will be real close to the MFRB for the price of a SFRB.
    Where does one get the flat rate padded envelopes, I never see those with the other flat rate boxes etc. But that sounds like the way to go for "in between" orders of the larger sizes of rifle brass. SFRB is fine for pistol or even 223, 7.62 x 39 or 300 black out, not so good for 30-06, or other longer necked rifle rounds. Just too much shipping overhead, buyer is paying extra and seller is getting less.

Most of the time I sell my extra brass to a vendor at the local gun show. A lot of the time he is paying within one or two cents +/- of going rate here in the forum but there is no shipping overhead (or packaging hassle). And he can inspect, so it takes assessment of condition off of me. That is why I don't sell that much brass here. I took 14# of brass to him last show, essentially traded brass for powder and primers from him.

Right now I'm looking at too much stuff and not much chance I'll get to a gun show anytime soon. So I appreciate the suggestions and ideas on shipping it. Really would be nice if one could ship a couple of SFRB worth in a single padded envelope for close to the same shipping price. Essentially turn coffee cans of brass I won't use into cash which I will use.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

PS. used plastic shopping bags work better than newspaper, news print can compress and stay compressed but plastic bags wadded up are "springy" which allows a bit more pressure and less inclined to compress and become less tightly packed. I got that idea from someone here and it seems to work well.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    PS. used plastic shopping bags work better than newspaper, news print can compress and stay compressed but plastic bags wadded up are "springy" which allows a bit more pressure and less inclined to compress and become less tightly packed. I got that idea from someone here and it seems to work well.
    Also a good way to get rid of all those plastic shopping bags!

Boolit Bub

The padded envelopes are an order item on usps.com. My local PO had about ten behind the counter and I got about eight of them and ordered fifteen more online. My big disappointment for the weekend was to learn that they no longer give away the tape.

Go up to the stickies and read the one about saving money with the usps. Buy your labels/postage through Paypal and get the discount. I shipped my 56 lb. envelopes for $6.50 each.

The stickie is the next to the last one--go to post #31 on the second page.
    Last edited by durango; 07-31-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durango View Post
    The padded envelopes are an order item on usps.com. My local PO had about ten behind the counter and I got about eight of them and ordered fifteen more online. My big disappointment for the weekend was to learn that they no longer give away the tape.

Go up to the stickies and read the one about saving money with the usps. Buy your labels/postage through Paypal and get the discount. I shipped my 56 lb. envelopes for $6.50 each.

The stickie is the next to the last one--go to post #31 on the second page.
    Thanks!

And I ordered a 15 pack at usps.com in the store -> Shipping Supplies -> Free Supplies
    https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...pping-supplies

Free supplies are like one or two items down in the left side menu. 15 pack of 9.5 x 12.5 Flat Rate Padded Envelopes for $0 and they don't have to be thin, they only have to seal using the default seal (you can add more tape) and not have any of the folds moved to accommodate an item. Current rate is $7.20 for shipping.

Hot diggity dog, I'm thinking this will be so much more cost effective than SFTB.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    So please tell me how you would ship something as small as 100 rounds of 22 hornet brass the cheapest and safest way?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Man
    My 2 Cents.

Brass -- As previously posted, brass in Tyvek envelopes and tape seams and closing flap then place in padded priority envelope & tape seams and closing flap of padded envelope.
    (If placing a sfrb inside the padded envelope I would suggest you tap the corners of the sfrb with a hammer to remove the sharp points of the box)

Lead and Large Qty of Brass that requires a mfrb -- 6 sfrb's will fit in a mfrb without any open space (open space in any shipment is what does most of the damage) Place ingots or brass in each sfrb and tape the closing flap of sfrb: after sfrb's are completed hot glue bottom of the mfrb and cut the glued strip from the close flap of a Tyvek envelope, place the glued strip on the inside portion of the mfrb where the vertical seam is to give this area more support. Place sfrb's inside mfrb hot glue top and then tape outside of mfrb as you would normally.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56950
    My feedback !

Banned
    Priority mail padded enverlopes site.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...elope-P_EP14PE

I've had good success packing the brass in 1 padded envelope and taping it into a nice shippable shape then placing that into another padded envelope and adding a little tape.

It may have been covered before, but don't overlook REGIONAL A and REGIONAL B boxes, both available from the USPS.

I just shipped 250 rifle brass which was too big for a SFRB and too expensive for a MFRB. Regional box fees are based on weight and distance. I shipped two "zones" away for $6.60, far less than a MFRB at twice the cost.

Medium flat rate is your best bet for good sized amounts. I use the smaller sized medium regional rate box inside the priority medium box, use cardboard corner pieces to limit the inevitable crushing from being rolled down stairs (Thanks USPS) and then tape the **** out of it, 100% around the box.
    (I ship bullets daily and the weight borders on the 70lb limit. 80% of boxes arrived beat to ****, but few if any have missing items)

Boolit Master
    Just received two SFRBs of boolits. Suggested the seller ship in two SFRBs inside a padded Flat Rate Envelope. Worked great, everything received in great shape at the beginning of the Christmas rush (worst time for parcel handling) and got the two for the price of one SFRB.

I've shipped brass in the Tyvek envelope inside a padded envelope without problems. Have to tape the label on the envelope and boxes because I pre-pay on-line and print the label. Haven't had one fail to arrive yet (probably shouldn't have said that).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Buddy
    I have a question about shipping in MFRB VIA USPS. Once I shipped a GI 50cal metal ammo can in one of the MFRB, it just barely fit and distorted the box slightly, but the local PO took it and it got to the destination OK. The box didn't close perfectly and one corner of the can cut the inside of the box a bit, I used plenty of fiber tape.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how legal this is and would this be a good idea to use regularly? Would the local PO take them without too much problem?

Just curious.

Steve

I was told if the box is distorted or bulged it can be rejected. I think they mostly care about corners and edges and that the side or top doesn't bulge. For example a pile of brass pushing the middle of the top up in a dome.

Some risk that it could be rejected but on the other hand if they reject it will probably be at the counter not after it gets shipped.

Can you slide the hinge pin out? Remove the lid so the top corner of the box is just that little bit shorter. Shouldn't take much for the recipient to align the hinge and slide the pin back in if it can be slid out fairly easily.

Boolit Buddy
    RogerDat,
    Yes I could remove the lid, but the idea was to ship brass in the can. I think you are right, if it gets taken over the counter it should be OK the rest of the way.

I have a lot of cans, I was thinking to get rid of them while I got rid of brass. Trying to get rid of stuff I don't need, 50 years of hoarding!

Steve

I recently received an order of brass from the other side of the US. It was packed really well and that was a good thing. The sender double boxed it(LFRB) and used really heavy plastic zip lock bags(industrial grade????) inside the boxes. The outside was completely wrapped with packing tape.
    I know that sounds like overkill, BUT, the post office managed to tear through the side of both inner and outer boxes, including the packing tape, and put a small cut in one of the plastic bags. The cut in the bag wasn't quite large enough to lose the brass, so it all made it to my address, but it was a near thing.
    I don't think you can pack things well enough that the postal service can't find a way to destroy it. And if they can't destroy it, they will simply lose it.

USPS flat rate padded envelope I put an additional tyvek envelope, free from post office inside it with an address, and the brass inside that is in ziplock bags. Which is how I store sorted brass.

I can't seem to get two SFRB's in one of those padded envelopes and still get the flap to fold and seal.

I agree, you can't beat USPS flat rate. From Maine to Hawaii, same price as in between!
    Nit Wit

Boolit Bub
    Before I use the Tyvek bags in a box I use a hot glue gun to glue the box together.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast