Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ship brass?

I think that a lot of people aren't familiar with the USPS website https://www.usps.com/ for their label and packaging needs. You gotta sign up, but that shouldn't be a problem for most. Your delivery postperson might even pic up your outgoing at your house, saving you a trip to the PO.

Every conceivable Priority Mail container, whether flat rate or not, is available for FREE, delivered to your residence.

I hardly use MFRB any more because the Regional A box will hold almost as much AND the price is based on weight and ZIP code. My Regional A boxes often ship for anywhere between $6 and $9. A MFRB is way more costly.
    Same way with a Regional B versus a similar FRB.

Jus' sayin ...

Boolit Master

If it fits it ships BUT we may want more $$ to deliver.

I use USPS Flat Rate boxes a lot. Never a problem until last week. I packed two MFRB's with brass to ship to Albuquerque NM. First I lined boxes with bubble wrap, then brass went into plastic bag, sealed bag and taped box up. I use a lot of reinforced shipping tape, probably cover 70% of the box with it. When done boxes were tight & square with no bulges. One weighed 22 lbs & other was 25 lbs.
    Mailed them at local PO no problem. When they arrived in Albuquerque things went downhill fast. The person I mailed the brass to got a Postage Due notice for $91.00. He went to the PO& found out they had enacted a new policy, they would only deliver FRB's that looked the same as the FRB boxes they had on display. No exceptions.
    Clearly the packages were mishandled by USPS en route & I'm being penalized for their negligence. The PO refused to budge on the postage due so the brass is on its way back to Fl.
    I tried calling USPS but the estimated wait time to speak to someone is 90 + minutes. Filed a complaint on line (the website isn't complaint friendly) and received a 'we're looking into it & will get back to you' email from our FL PO.
    The boxes I mailed are pictured below as they looked when the forum member I sent them to went to the Albuquerque PO to try negotiating their release.
    The employees at our local PO have always been helpful. Sounds like each PO can make their own policies. If their decision goes against me, my next step is to contact the Regional Postal Inspector. In my opinion, demanding $91.00 additional to deliver the two boxes is plain old extortion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vic cavasin brass boxes that were  too distorted.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	221979

I had one lady tell me my SFRB was not acceptable due to all the strapping tape on the edges and corners, along with being covered with clear tape. I printed off the instructions from the USPS web site where it specifically recommends taping edges and corners and covering label with clear tape to protect it. She accepted them after that.

Only thing I can suggest is look for the directions on taping boxes and reference that. It does state that the FRB has to be in the original size and dimensions and can't be altered or bulging out. But those look like the were "altered" by the post office smashing them. Might want to re-package and submit picture of fresh package to show how the looked when they were sent. I would suggest the strapping tape wrapped only on edges, along flap seam and maybe one across middle and the rest use clear tape.

One technique I found works for me is I run the tape along the edge and let it stick out at both ends about an inch or so. Then use a razor knife to slit the tape that hangs off the end in line with the seam tape is folded over so I can fold those end flaps of tape over. I think it holds better with the ends anchored and gives a clean line when the other seams are taped over the flaps.

Bubble wrap imparts no real strength. Packed with tightly stuffed plastic shopping bags from grocery store will provide more protection from collapse. As will cutting a second box in half at two opposing vertical corners and trimming 3/8 inch off the ends of all the flaps and sides so one box just fits inside the other. I do that for lead.

I'm thinking your best hope is a before picture you create now to go with the after picture. The returned package has a weight and if the contents are moved to new package it will have the same weight providing further proof to the post office inspector that workers basically smashed your box which was fine when it left.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    Small amounts, small frb, padded as needed. Larger amounts, sealed plastic bags (bag in bag) then double taped frb. I have never had an issue. Hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy
    I had two bags of once fired Norma brass sent to me from Sweden .One made it to my house and the other was confiscated in Chicago by Homeland Security because they said it had primers in the package .Dumb ***** couldn't understand that they were fired and inert .Never did get them back .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Yeah, tyvek inside the frb. I bought a 1000 pistol cases once, they were just dumped in a lfrb and taped shut. It busted open at some Postal facility, they swept up all the spilled brass and put it back in, taped it up, and sent it on. But they also swept up all the rubber bands, paper scraps, candy wrappers, and whatever else was on the floor with the brass. Friggin' government employees.....
    At least they didn't send you the empty box.

Boolit Man
    I usually use ziplock inside a flat rate box and tape well. Seems to work.

Does the USPS still offer the Regional boxes? Just read about them here, but can't find them on the USPS web site.

Boolit Buddy
    Does the USPS still offer the Regional boxes? Just read about them here, but can't find them on the USPS web site.
    I just looked and they're still there:
    Regional A1 - https://store.usps.com/store/product...ox-a1-P_RRB_A1
    Regional B1 - https://store.usps.com/store/product...ox-b1-P_RRB_B1

So the regional work better if the weight is lower? Such as brass etc. Because I doubt they will ship 63 lbs. of lead for less than $13 of a MFRB but am willing to try something else if it would save money.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    So the regional work better if the weight is lower? Such as brass etc. Because I doubt they will ship 63 lbs. of lead for less than $13 of a MFRB but am willing to try something else if it would save money.
    Regional "A" boxes ship up to 15 lbs, and Regional "B" boxes go up to 20 lbs. If you're shipping something heavy like lead they won't likely be a good option, but for lighter items (including brass) they can save you several dollars.

These Regional boxes, can anybody use them? Or do you have to have a Commercial account? Got some sample boxes from a counter guy, but he didn't know anything about the Regional stuff. I'm still trying to find out what the "regions" are.....

Boolit Buddy
    These Regional boxes, can anybody use them? Or do you have to have a Commercial account? Got some sample boxes from a counter guy, but he didn't know anything about the Regional stuff. I'm still trying to find out what the "regions" are.....
    No commercial account needed. Just go to www.usps.com and create a free personal account. You can then pay/print labels online without the hassle of standing in line at the P.O. You can also order all sorts of free shipping supplies, including those regional boxes and padded mailers, and your mail carrier will deliver them to your door. Doesn't get much more convenient! I've been using this service for a few years, now, and it really is a time-saver.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, and when you order supplies make sure you order a couple of bundles of the Tyvek envelopes, too.
    https://store.usps.com/store/product...e-ep14-P_EP_14
    These are very tough and tear-resistant and are great for bagging your brass before putting it in the shipping box.

In Remembrance

I have been shipping brass, when I do ship it, in the USPS Priority MailŪ Padded Flat Rate Envelope
    9-1/2" x 12-1/2" They cost $8 to ship, and are VERY STRONG. You can even double pack them, no weight limit. No need to tape more than the flap shut, and the label to the envelope (easier to tape the label on the envelope on before filling with brass).

One clerk at the post office asked me if they were "shells" because I am near the beach just south of Daytona. Yup, I said with a smile..... shells......

Have shipped them absolutely bulging with brass, and never a complaint. They seem to be a combo of Tyvek and bubble wrap, and FREE from good old USPS. You can pick up a few from any Post Office, but I prefer to order them by the case, delivered free to my home. Here's the item:
    https://store.usps.com/store/product...elope-P_EP14PE

There are 100 in a case, so if you order the 10 pack, and order the ten max packs of that, they ship you the whole case, free.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 12-06-2019 at 12:27 AM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I tend to overpack brass, I've had too many instances where the box arrived mangled and brass was missing. I pack 'em so tough now that the USPS manglers will really have to work at it.

Oh, and when I think about it, I like to put a second label INSIDE the box, just in case the outside one gets destroyed somehow. It happens, and often.

Boolit Master

I've bought a lot of OF brass. Most came in MFR boxes. Also most was enclosed in doubled plastic grocery type bags and any empty space filled with same or newspaper.

I wish anyone shipping stuff from S&S would read this or similar threads that have appeared over the years. While most things I have bought here were well packed, a few left a lot to be desired. Recently received one that an edge not taped had torn out and loose boxes inside fractured and lost some product.

A year or so ago I bought an extra Redding turret from a well know vendor. The turret was place in the bottom of a box that allowed it to move around and the only packing was loosely on top of the turret. There were a few small items ordered at the same time still in the box but the turret was long gone.
    John
    W.TN

I tend to overpack....

Oh, and when I think about it, I like to put a second label INSIDE the box, just in case the outside one gets destroyed somehow. It happens, and often.
    You can't over pack, no such animal. Unless I guess you only used packing material and no content.

The second shipping label information inside is a good idea. If the outside label gets damaged, or the box gets totally mangled the post office will check the contents for information on where to ship it. If one is using the tyvek envelopes inside a box or padded envelope write it on those. On a shipping label placed loose inside or slip of paper. To and From addresses. Can't hurt and like a fire extinguisher you hope will never be needed if it is needed it is badly needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    The second shipping label information inside is a good idea. If the outside label gets damaged, or the box gets totally mangled the post office will check the contents for information on where to ship it. If one is using the tyvek envelopes inside a box or padded envelope write it on those. On a shipping label placed loose inside or slip of paper. To and From addresses. Can't hurt and like a fire extinguisher you hope will never be needed if it is needed it is badly needed.
    At first this sounds like a good idea. However, I know of someone who did that and the PO ended up charging them double the postage. The package received damage and both labels ended up being scanned by the USPS system and they treated it as though they were trying to send two separate packages under one tracking number. It's better to double-bag the items if necessary, reinforce the edges and corners of the package and make sure it's insured. If it's damaged or lost, file a claim. I have shipped and received hundreds of packages over the last few years and have had several claims. The USPS has come through on all of them except for one. The last time was just a few weeks ago and they paid the claim, no questions asked, within a week to 10 days of filing it online. Just be sure to include pictures of the damaged package, damaged goods, and screenshots of online prices for a similar replacement product.

How about primed cases? My understanding, is that they must be sent ground, via a contract carrier (not USPS), but do not require hazmat or ORMD/Limted Quantity labels. Does that check with your experience?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast