Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: H&R Handi Rifle in 45/70 Barrel Fit

H&R Handi Rifle in 45/70 Barrel Fit

I decided to post here in the Special Projects forum rather than the Single Shot Guns forum as to this point it has been more of a project than a shooter. The barrel was purchased here on the forum in the swapping and selling section from a fine trader named huntersdog, fear him not for he is a honest trader! The action was purchased from another forum and sent to my FFL dealer for processing. I took the barrel to the dealer to see if I was lucky enough to get an action that would just so happen to fit with my barrel. Disappointed to find the my luck has not changed in my years of walking this wonder gift from God, that being said the barrel was going to have to be fitted to the action. However, I was fortunate enough to get a barrel that fit too tight and was told this was best case scenario as it could have been loose and shims would have to be made then fitted. I stared at the action and barrel for a few evenings, then spend a few more evenings reading up on how to fit a barrel to the action. Much to my surprise fitting the barrel to the action did not seem to be an impossible task for a moderately accomplished Handi-Man (pun intended). As they say a picture is worth a thousand words and I have burned up enough not saying much of anything other than giving a bit of a back story.

I removed the ejector, put a case in the chamber and done some file work to smooth up the face of the barrel. Some minor stone work was done to the shelf on the barrel to ensure it was true and met up with the latch properly.

Attachment 200846

Fitting the forearm to the barrel was mildly challenging as the nut on the barrel had a step and the forearm was from model that did not have the step. I used a magic marker to help fit the barrel. It showed up well on the high spots and rotary tool made quick work of that aggravation.

Attachment 200847

Lastly a few shots added to the old cast iron pan. Never fear...I would not treat a Griswold or Wagner in such a manor. It was an abused, rusty, pitted and made in china chunk of scrap metal that previously had the handle shot off my by .54 Cal Renegade. 10 shots were added from aprox. 35 yards off hand with reloads from my late Uncles estate. Not sure what the loads consisted of, but I did trust my Uncles reloading abilities...there are those who I do not trust as they are often distracted by shiny or skanky things.

Attachment 200848
    Last edited by waarp8nt; 07-30-2017 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's a pretty neat fix. 'Glad it was so easy. I bought one of those barrels from him too, and I got lucky that mine snapped in as tight as a new one.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

You have done well Grasshopper ! You did best by filing the breech to fit as most handi barrels are a little generous with headspace and a few thousands is usually enough.
    Taking metal from the pivot is OK also but easy to take to much before you reilize it.
    All handis loosen to a degree when shot a lot and it's best to start with them fit where they need a firm closing and you can see no daylight at the breech face when holding them sideways to a bright light.

Jedman

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "there are those who I do not trust as they are often distracted by shiny or skanky thints."

Priceless,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar