Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best all around barrel length?

Outstanding...

The thing on our range in these parts is answering questions to get a good days shooting in with out interruptions like what are you shooting? what kind of gun is that? what is the velocity? is the recoil bad? I say well sit behind these sticks and try a few shots

Seems like that is a great day of shooting then...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    The thing on our range in these parts is answering questions to get a good days shooting in with out interruptions like what are you shooting? what kind of gun is that? what is the velocity? is the recoil bad? I say well sit behind these sticks and try a few shots
    Hear! Hear! Well said!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    For target rifle I prefer a 32 inch barrel.
    I have a JM Marlin Ballard #5 Pacific in .45-70 and a 32" barrel with a near pristine bore. And me being three score and 18, it is more accurate than I can ever hold it. With a Marbles aperture sight at 100 yards in a lead sled, 5 shots are just one ragged hole, at 200 yards same load gives a clover leaf. Rings gong consistently at 400-500 yards. And me without lead sled, leaves much to be desired.

Banned

as probably already mentioned in this thread, it's not about the length of the barrel, it's about the overall gun's balance ... *IF* offhand is an issue. other than offhand, yer gonna be off sticks at the range. hunting could be a whole 'nother story.

having had 30", 32" and 34" barreled bpcr rifles, i'll take a heavy weight 30" barrel - it'll get me a 12# gun to help a tad with recoil (but i always use a good butt pad, that's the key for me and my "souped up" .45-70) and it's not a big chore for offhand. a 32" medium weight or OTR barrel can be a joy to shoot off sticks or offhand. it's all good as long as you get to trial out this stuff, else it'll be a krap shoot of sorts.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Yeh, the first few shots are free, then you're hooked and the real expense begins. A rifle , brass, boolit molds, wad cutters, dies, and powder by the case.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Your right Bob. There are 5 sharps being used now since they shot mine, but they still like their AR's and Ruskie bolt guns and this is fine because they are doing what they like.

Vickingson57 The best thing to do is go to a BPCR match during practice the day before the match when they are not busy getting ready to get on line and talk to the people what they are using and ask if you can hold the rifle. I don't think that you will never be turned down and see how the rifle feels.
    I just had a .40-65 rifle build for the Silhouette matches with a #2.5 30" round contoured barrel. It weighs out at 10# 1oz with tang sights and it holds very good, a lot better then the 12# 1oz rifle does. Go out and hold a few to decide which way to go. If the rifle feels good for the match shooting it will feel good for hunting also.
    The choice is yours.......Kurt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12