Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Simplest , easiest and least expensive PC method ??

Simplest , easiest and least expensive PC method ??

Title says it all, I'm looking for the Simplest , easiest and least expensive PC method ??
    For some details, I found a "bucket" apx 2500 cast 45 T/C bullets at an estate sale. Over half of the lube is gone, so I'm thinking, remove the lube, clean the bullets in paint thinner , then wash with Dawn, AND THEN ??
    I found a post by "Rangefinder" where he used a bowl on a vibratory case cleaner, throw in the bullets, add some acetone, and then some powder, let "hum till the liquid is gone, put bullets on a tin foil covered baking sheet, 400* for 20 min. and by that time I should have a 2nd batch ready. OR, find a dealer that sells PC bullets and have them do it ??
    Thoughts ??
    I should clarify, I'm getting out of .45's and these bullets will be part of a " package deal", Glock, brass, primers & bullets.
    So I want the bullets to look better that some that were TL in 44/45/10
    Last edited by Wayne S; 07-30-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: more info
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master

I'd boil them, let the container cool, then lift off the bullet lube. Your wash in solvent, then in Dawn sounds messy.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

For that many I'd be tempted to just tumble with Alex or BLL.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I'd boil them, let the container cool, then lift off the bullet lube. Your wash in solvent, then in Dawn sounds messy.
    About as messy as case cleaning using a wet tumbler W/ SS media

Boolit Master

Stick with dry tumble "shake and bake" method. Look for smoke4320 in vs section and get his kit with clear or gloss black powder.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Removing lube has been discussed on the Hi-Tek forum, and the general concensus is it's better to melt them down! Getting rid of every trace of old lube, particularly if it has wax in it, can be tricky. Don't know about PC, but Hi-Tek needs the boolit to be bare-metal clean otherwise adhesion problems arise.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    For that many I'd be tempted to just tumble with Alex or BLL.

Popper nailed it. Washing lube off is not easy. BLL would be my pick.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    +1 on the dry tumble with some black BB's in a #5 plastic container using smokes powder. I've been using it and it's great. Many others here seem to love it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead0321usmc View Post
    +1 on the dry tumble with some black BB's in a #5 plastic container using smokes powder. I've been using it and it's great. Many others here seem to love it as well.
    What I also do. IMO, just melt them down & recast. All the washing & boiling & blah, blah, just make new bullets. Probably take you just as long.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Simplest solution would be to relube them.

To answer the question, without a doubt hitek is the easiest and cheapest method to coat bullets. That's why commercial casters use it, and I've tried them all.

Banned

If you have a lubesizer just run them through again and relube them. Or like others said get a bottle of tumble lube. I think trying to get ALL the lube and residue off them would be more work then its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Title says it all, I'm looking for the Simplest , easiest and least expensive PC method ??
    For some details, I found a "bucket" apx 2500 cast 45 T/C bullets at an estate sale. Over half of the lube is gone, so I'm thinking, remove the lube, clean the bullets in paint thinner , then wash with Dawn, AND THEN ??
    I found a post by "Rangefinder" where he used a bowl on a vibratory case cleaner, throw in the bullets, add some acetone, and then some powder, let "hum till the liquid is gone, put bullets on a tin foil covered baking sheet, 400* for 20 min. and by that time I should have a 2nd batch ready. OR, find a dealer that sells PC bullets and have them do it ??
    Thoughts ??
    I should clarify, I'm getting out of .45's and these bullets will be part of a " package deal", Glock, brass, primers & bullets.
    So I want the bullets to look better that some that were TL in 44/45/10

Boolit Master
    I would test the boil off the wax step first, than acetone. If that don't work I would put them in my scrap bullet bucket.

Since I'm getting out of .45 ACP 's I'll just throw them with the collection of sprue's and rejects for remelting this winter