MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: "Make-do" round ball patches?

Boolit Master

"Make-do" round ball patches?

Patched round ball shooters may experiment with using different patch thicknesses, or RB diameters, or exhaust their supply of either component. I expect that most of these shooters have [tried??] jury-rigging loads by using more than one patch when loading - that is, double patching thinner cloth patches to emulate the thicker patch they prefer or exhausted.

As best you can, patched RB shooters, how does such jury-rigging effect accuracy, consistency, and perhaps velocity?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    I make my own patches form material bought from Jo-Ann fabrics. but one time I went on a woods walk and forgot my shooting patches. so I doubled my cleaning patches and shot the match. they worked just fine. shot to the same point of aim. I won the woods walk.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I make my own patches form material bought from Jo-Ann fabrics. but one time I went on a woods walk and forgot my shooting patches. so I doubled my cleaning patches and shot the match. they worked just fine. shot to the same point of aim. I won the woods walk.
    A man after my own heart.

I once went hunting and forgot my patches also, only I cut a strip out of my flannel shirt and made the patch.
    Got a 4 point buck a few hours later.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

cigarette rolling paper can be used with existing patch cloth to "bump" it up a bit if need be.

Boolit Grand Master
    I started in 1978 with a .45 cal long rifle. When I went shooting, I wore a trashed T-shirt and at the loading I'd lift the trailing edge of the T-shirt, slop it in my mouth to get it wet, place it over the muzzle, set the ball and cut away the excess with my pocket knife. Shot pretty good.

Boolit Grand Master

Flannel isn't the best but I have used it and it does work if you don't push it too hard. I usually use old cotton clothing remnants.
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    You can use virtually any thing that will not melt or do damage to the bore . newspaper , wasp nest , toilet paper......? Accuracy will still remain with shooting ability of the user for the better part .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Vendor Sponsor

I'm thinking in 1840 anywhere west of St Lewis, creativity happened everyday.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Doubling of patches.
    I just had a conversation with Marvin about the same subject. As told he has done it to his own rifle. i.e. No problems incurred.
    I myself haven't tried the doubling technique yet. But I fully intend too~~soon.

Boolit Master
    Now you got me curious.will denim fabric from blue jeans work?

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    Now you got me curious.will denim fabric from blue jeans work?
    Yep , if it's about the right thickness . I've used a double thick denim patch with a .440 ball in a 50 cal barrel just to see what happened . Shot good enough to kill a deer at 50 yd .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

lots will also depend on how to expect to load - either thumb seating and pushing of the ramrod, to ball starter and/or hammered seating. that may also depend on the kinda consistent accuracy you require, either MOA or MOD (minute of deer). so there may be a compromise of how best to load ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I'm thinking in 1840 anywhere west of St Lewis, creativity happened everyday.
    Yep .

Not advising the use of toilet paper but it will provide enough 'fit' to achieve rotation . Green tree leaves will work ..ask me how I know . Ultimate accuracy will most likely not be achieved but the whole question is what will 'do' in a bind ? I over patch ...it's a sickness lol . I pull several hung balls every time I go to the range . Yea I know ...stupid .

Boolit Master

Then there is leather from the tounge of your shoe
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    I had read some where that the mountain men used leather patches.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I had read some where that the mountain men used leather patches.
    The thin flank area of a brain tanned smoked hide works very well. As long as you can locate it after the shot, it can be used over and over again.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!