MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Dixon Gun builders fair

Dixon Gun builders fair

Took a 3 hour drive outa Long Island Ny to Kempton PA on Friday to attend the Dixon Gun Works 35th annual fair. My mind is blown by the craftsmanship I saw there. I strolled through the tents twice just to take it all in. The Horner's guild was there and the horns on display are incredible. I picked up a couple polished horns which are destined to be made flat. Also scored a nice Buffalo horn for $12. Picked a few odds and ends up. Talked with a lot of gun builders and horners who were more than willing to give advice. The fair ends today. Go check er out. Dixon's gun shop is also stocked with more than enough stuff to keep you looking for hours. They had pewter ware for sale (not at bargain prices) and 4 lb bags in Linotype. Lots of used and new guns supplies etc. After the fair ended I just started driving on country roads with the windows down, what a great place time forgot!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd love to go to that sometime, but there are too many people east of the Mississippi!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

man I would love to go to that sometime, looks really cool. anything similar out west?

wassupi

I saw Mike Belavue there in Friday. I saw his video he did at last years fair which is how I learned of it.

Boolit Master

My wife and I have been going for 18 years. The weather there this year was the nicest it's ever been in the years we've been going. Saturday morning felt like the 2nd week of September. I would say that there were probably about 30% fewer vendors there this year than last - And the trend has been in that direction for quite some time. Attendance is certainly down as well. It's still a great event though. I think the CLA show is a better show now for parts vendors and great stuff to look at - guns, horns, bags, and everything 18th/19th century
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    ......... but there are too many people east of the Mississippi!
    You got that right!!! Counting the days to retire and getting the he** off the east coast.

Boolit Master

AvoGunner,

You got that right! Sanity started being restored the moment we crossed the Appalachian Divide....
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Cool

Missed Dixon's as well, but saw and photographed this, https://www.trainorders.com/discussi...php?10,4348075, as a consolation prize. Alas, Dixon's is several hours away, but Viscose Company #6 was but a 2 - 4 mile walk from my house.

Boolit Master
    I think the lack of venders & attendance is the sigh us older folks in this hobby are dying off. The
    youth are just not coming in to replace our generation as they once were. Sad but there will always
    be some, just not like in the past.

Fly

Boolit Master

I also had hopes of making Dixions again this year, some day
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Howdy Duckey
    I was there at Dixon's on Friday also .
    I bought a Grans Ford Bruks Wildlife Hatchet an a few sight bags.
    It's a great show, we have gone to the show off & on for 20 some years.
    I shop there quite a few times a year , I live 1 hr. north of Kempton.