WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodge automatic tranny break through !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Most automotive parts would not be allowed to be installed on aircraft because of FAA traceability requirements. That's not to say that some owners don't bend the rules with respect to non-critical components that just seem to "find their way" onto the aircraft and never make it through the log books.
    My point was simple. Any shaft like that on a plane would not rely on a pointed allen screw and a jam nut. The screw would be safety wired so it could not unwind and cause the shaft to drop off the steering shaft. Bad design, bordering on criminal, especially given the several reported incidents on the TDR website. Only the aive can comment ..... who know how many were killed by this ***.

Boolit Master
    My 2001 3500 has the M5 tranny, their problem is the input shaft. It makes it hard to go into 3rd gear with out double clutch. I was quoted over a K to fix it.
    Of course, if you had a manual transmission, you wouldn't have that problem.

garym - you speak of the standard alt/gen whine. I'm talking about the voltage spike you get from an inductive load dump like when the AC clutch kicks out. Last Dodge I had was a 86 360 known for water pumps, really low mileage and when a Champion plug went bad you thought it was ready to throw a rod. The filter I used was a big 2# filter, not the little bathtub capacitor they sell.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    The alternator can create massive voltage spikes. When you put a heavy load on the unit and disconnect it, the voltage will spike. With the Densos being the worse.
    Plus some the aftermarkets rectifiers for Denso are substandard. We would do a full load dump on every unit we made.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    garym - you speak of the standard alt/gen whine. I'm talking about the voltage spike you get from an inductive load dump like when the AC clutch kicks out. Last Dodge I had was a 86 360 known for water pumps, really low mileage and when a Champion plug went bad you thought it was ready to throw a rod. The filter I used was a big 2# filter, not the little bathtub capacitor they sell.

Banned

I know, Off Topic but have to say this. This spring when I bought my most recent truck I test drove a new dodge. Ive been a gm man all of my life but had myself convinced (well maybe fooled into thinking) that I'm might give a dodge a try. I actually went to the dodge dealer first and test drove one. I walked away know no dodge fore me. Want to know why? that STUPID twist knob to shift the transmission. Why dodge did something that stupid is beyond me. I admit I might have subconsciously been looking for a flaw to change my mind but it sure didn't take long to find it.

Boolit Grand Master

Dodge automatic tranny break through !

All manufacturers are putting stupid features on vehicles these days. Push button start is at the top of my list of things I absolutely hate. It's not a matter of if it will fail, it's when.

Boolit Grand Master

In 03 I traded my 73 Suburban for a new Dodge crew-cab. The old Chevy had faithfully taken me everywhere I wanted to go for over 30 years. The now 14 yr old Dodge has done the same although not having been quite as demanding because of my age. Even the original battery lasted 13 years. The transmission is flawless and the engine performs like new.
    My gripe is the cooling system. It has cost me over $1600. to keep the engine cool, and me warm. A radiator and heater core, water pump, and 3 thermostats have been replaced.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

On my 3rd Dodge Ram and have really had no issues at all. Just traded the 04 2500 4x4 with 130K on it, Pulled a bunch of heavy loads and never had any problems. Now have a 17' Rebel, yes the gear shift knob is taking time to get use to but when you consider the electric shift, it makes perfect sense. Most complaints I read is that their phone won't work right, it's a damn truck. Sorry... I like the extra cab room for the most part, that's what sold me years ago. It's great to have choices tho.

Banned

yup that's another stupid change. I had to chuckle the other day. I was on a chev silveado fourm that's mostly young guys. Someone asked what chev should do to make the Silverado better. Not one said something like put a tranny in it that's tough enough that you don't need torque management to pull power to keep it alive. Nope. Top two answers were push button start and a better info center.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    All manufacturers are putting stupid features on vehicles these days. Push button start is at the top of my list of things I absolutely hate. It's not a matter of if it will fail, it's when.

Boolit Grand Master

Dodge automatic tranny break through !

I can't get mad at a better info center. But push button start is ridiculous. I already have the keys out to unlock the vehicle. Let me put it in to start it up. I also have to take the keys out of my pocket to lock it when I'm done. Unless of course I left them in the center console.

I'm in a different rental car every week. The amount of stupid things on cars is staggering. I get mad at ease of Bluetooth connection or lack there of the most. For your personal vehicle you'd do it once and be done. But when I'm in a new car all the time in a foreign place it's nice to have the GPS directions come through the speakers. This is definitely a first world problem.

Boolit Master
    Think about whats in a keyswitch, lots of wires. Ign, start, run, ... In a push button start it a simple switch that is much cheaper to make and will be more reliable. The tranneys now days being all electronic, the gear shift will be an oversized switch.

Banned

"I'm in a different rental car every week. The amount of stupid things on cars is staggering."

This is so true except it's every few weeks for me. Before I even set out, I figure out a few things out. I have found that trying to do it on the fly can be a problem.

Boolit Master

Of course, if you had a manual transmission, you wouldn't have that problem.

The manual transmission from that time had a problem too.

Boolit Master

How did we ever get around no before computers were involved.

Boolit Master
    I have an '04 Dodge Cummins with the switch for the Jacob Brake on the shift lever of the 6 speed manual. I can't imagine anything better.

Maybe an air horn. LOL
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    A lot more inefficiently. Vehicles have gotten better as the years have gone by. That being said I have a 1983 VW GTI 16v running ITBs that runs flawlessly. Also have a 1992 VW GTI 16v that's boosted and running stand alone engine management. A lot more can go wrong w/ that one. The fancy electronics have made turbo charging easily doable and they sure are fun.

Boolit Master
    We drove cars that got 150hp and 12mpg. Now we can drive cars that get 450hp and 25mpg.

Banned
    My next car will be a minty 75'-85' "Roller" driven by an old man in Miami. Stored inside, no smoker, perfect body, 40-60K miles, 6.7 litre pushrod V8, Hydramatic tranny, cradeled in Connely hides, looking out over the Spirit of Ecstasy all for $15-20K. Only issue is hydero-pnumatic suspension which can be replaced by coilovers if need be.

My Luke's Links kits arrived, looking forward to tight non-wandering steering !

Boolit Master

To late I've already had to rebuild my transmission at about 185,000.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I think it was horses
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast