Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodge automatic tranny break through !

Banned

Dodge automatic tranny break through !

Putting this here because don't see where else.

If you have a Dodge truck from the 98-2005 era with an auto, it's probably the not so great A618/47RE.

Aside from adding a bigger pan (Geno's garage) their other issue was "hunting" in the 38-45 mph zone between top gear and OD. Annoying and beat the heck out of the tranny.

The hunting was caused by stray RFI signals fooling the transmission controller.

The old cure was to remove, clean and di-electric grease coat every connection you could find. Also wrapping all the alternator leads and grounds in aluminum foil.

Now some smart guys have come up with a 2 wire RFI filter. One lead to the alternator hot lead, one to a really ggod ground. (I used the battery neg. terminal)

In my 01 Cummins 2500 4x4 with 100,237 miles I have been fighting this problem since new.

Installed the filter and drove around for an hour with the cruise on over hill and dale between 35 and 45.

NEVER hunted once. $70 bucks to your door, 15 minutes to install (get di-electric grease) from

TRNW
    209-551-0599

Just maaaavelous !

Boolit Master

or you could just not buy a dodge

sorry could not resist

Boolit Master

310000 miles on my 47Re never rebuilt no problems. So far......

Boolit Master
    not sure what year but my dad has a dodge ram kicking around his garage, will pass on the info thanks!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Bub
    Good info will pass on to a friend

Moderator Emeritus

Eldon, so where did you order the RF filter from? Geno's Garage? My 1999 has just recently started doing this again. I have already done all the other tricks suggested in your post and they worked for years until this week! Thanks, Treetop

BTW, welcome to thecastboolits forum!
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master

Of course, if you had a manual transmission, you wouldn't have that problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by treetop View Post
    eldon, so where did you order the rf filter from? Geno's garage? My 1999 has just recently started doing this again. I have already done all the other tricks suggested in your post and they worked for years until this week! Thanks, treetop

btw, welcome to thecastboolits forum!
    trnw
    209-551-0599

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Of course, if you had a manual transmission, you wouldn't have that problem.
    Thas right and if I rode a horse I would not either .... oops I do ride a horse.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    or you could just not buy a dodge

sorry could not resist

Right I cuda bought one of those wonderful Fords instead and had the whole engine lunched by the watercooled EGR system OR a Duraflop and had the pistons melt trying to drag a loaded 4 horse slant up the Teton pass.

WE USE our trucks, and 85% around here are Dodge Cummins. Perfect ? no, but the best given what's available.

Banned
    Next project is to rebuild my Luke's Link on the tracking bar and replace the 4 other "joints" on the tie rod ends etc. with Luke's Links. Much better than OEM and tightens things up on a front end carrying a very heavy engine.

BTW, NEVER use Borgson steering shafts unless a near death experience is on your bucket list. Any device that would never be allowed to be installed on an airplane, has no business running a vehicle's front end on mother Earth ! Driving along at 70 and suddenly having no steering is an adventure I don't want to repeat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    Next project is to rebuild my Luke's Link on the tracking bar and replace the 4 other "joints" on the tie rod ends etc. with Luke's Links. Much better than OEM and tightens things up on a front end carrying a very heavy engine.

BTW, NEVER use Borgson steering shafts unless a near death experience is on your bucket list. Any device that would never be allowed to be installed on an airplane, has no business running a vehicle's front end on mother Earth ! Driving along at 70 and suddenly having no steering is an adventure I don't want to repeat.
    Most automotive parts would not be allowed to be installed on aircraft because of FAA traceability requirements. That's not to say that some owners don't bend the rules with respect to non-critical components that just seem to "find their way" onto the aircraft and never make it through the log books.

Boolit Master
    I've got 200k on my 03 w/ Cummins. No issues yet.

Moderator Emeritus

trnw
    209-551-0599
    Thanks, Eldon! Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Got 240k on my '04 Dakota 4x4 auto and no problems so far. Don't know if it shares a tranny with the bigger trucks or not, I always found Mopar rear wheel drive autos to be among the better ones out there. Mopar front wheel drive autos=garbage.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    This is a very good article. I brought my Exwife a 99 Dodge dually new in 1999.
    Cummins 24V motor. I think it was about when the orginal alternator died that the tranny started acting up. She researched it and the filter (big capactor) solved the problem. The truck is now over 330K miles on the OEM tranny.
    Putting this here because don't see where else.

If you have a Dodge truck from the 98-2005 era with an auto, it's probably the not so great A618/47RE.

Aside from adding a bigger pan (Geno's garage) their other issue was "hunting" in the 38-45 mph zone between top gear and OD. Annoying and beat the heck out of the tranny.

The hunting was caused by stray RFI signals fooling the transmission controller.

The old cure was to remove, clean and di-electric grease coat every connection you could find. Also wrapping all the alternator leads and grounds in aluminum foil.

Now some smart guys have come up with a 2 wire RFI filter. One lead to the alternator hot lead, one to a really ggod ground. (I used the battery neg. terminal)

In my 01 Cummins 2500 4x4 with 100,237 miles I have been fighting this problem since new.

Installed the filter and drove around for an hour with the cruise on over hill and dale between 35 and 45.

NEVER hunted once. $70 bucks to your door, 15 minutes to install (get di-electric grease) from

TRNW
    209-551-0599

Just maaaavelous !

Boolit Buddy
    DTT noise filter works as well. Put one on almost 10 years ago. Learned a few years ago that my sudden recurrance of issues was caused by alternator problems.

Those RFI filters been around for a long time. Real problem is the alternators use a shunt regulator that puts out HV spikes. Replaced several GM computers as the internal regs couldn't take the spike. Used many filters when I was running the CB in the trucks. Sort story, auto elec. systems are built for cost not performance.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    . Mopar front wheel drive autos=garbage.
    My wife's daily driver, a 2001 Dodge Stratus with an Auto-magic trans, has 230,000+ on it. She puts ~100 miles/day on it.

How's that for garbage ?

Boolit Master
    The regulators in these Dodges are not in the alternators, they are in the ECM. These regulator are not shunt regulators, they are switching regulators driving the field coil of the alternator.The noise is caused by the switching noise in the Rectifier Diodes from the stators.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Those RFI filters been around for a long time. Real problem is the alternators use a shunt regulator that puts out HV spikes. Replaced several GM computers as the internal regs couldn't take the spike. Used many filters when I was running the CB in the trucks. Sort story, auto elec. systems are built for cost not performance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast