MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Looking for the best bench or comp seating die for 22 hornet

Looking for the best bench or comp seating die for 22 hornet

I was just reading about the rcbs comp seating die for .22 hornet, and its unique bullet side loading. But also see redding bench die and forester too. Anyone have experience with these .how well does it cut down on runout? Is the micrometer a necessary for these dies . Also what about the lee collet seater die?? Need suggestings,i have no experience with comp seaters ?
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Banned
    The best, used by most bench resters, are Wilson.

In the average Hornet, any quality die will work fine.

For my tack drivers, I use the Redding bushing sets, but in my 5 in a dime Hornet, built on a much modified 03' from the 1930s, I use regular Reddings.

40 grain red tipped Hornadys over Lil' Gun put "5 in a dime" @100 all day long.

Ive got lilgun on hand,just have to decide on a seater. The redding is taunting me as well as the newish rcbs with sideload.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used several. If you're on the cheap, it's hard to beat a Hornady, next would be the Forester...my favorite (by far) are the Vickerman seating dies. They look similar to the RCBS. If you are considering the RCBS's read their reviews...not very flattering compared to the others I listed.
    Domari Nolo

Last night i read and watched many vids on the rcbs comp seater,and it is all about correct seating depth not concentrisity as i assumed. Ok one eliminated.
    Ill have to look into vickerman,forester and redding some more.

Boolit Master
    The Vickerman are best but that case design of the Hornet is it's weak point with it's vague shoulder, I'd "K" any hornet before spending too much on precision dies.

Boolit Bub
    I have 10 sets of the rcbs comp. dies, half of them are the earlier wood boxed. I like the fact that it is easy to change out the different internal using the main piece for different calibers. for me it is the only seater I can use in 17 due to old stiff fingers. my powders of choice is aa1680 & vv120. ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by edadmartin View Post
    I was just reading about the rcbs comp seating die for .22 hornet, and its unique bullet side loading. But also see redding bench die and forester too. Anyone have experience with these .how well does it cut down on runout? Is the micrometer a necessary for these dies . Also what about the lee collet seater die?? Need suggestings,i have no experience with comp seaters ?

Banned

since this is a .22 rimfire forum, you might wanna make a post in the centerfire reloading forum?

Boolit Master
    I use a Forester micrometer head bullet seating die, it works very well.
    My complaint would be in handling the small .22 cal bullets their small round shape makes them rather fiddly to pick up and place into/on the case mouth. With that in mind if I was looking to buy another small cal seating die I would go for one that has a port on the side where the bullet could be dropped in guaranteeing straight seating plus have a micrometer head.

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS Comp Seating die is one of the best tools I've purchased. Used it for years, bought all the different caliber inserts. With the window, loading straight is easy. As long as you've resized correctly.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Grand Master

I like Redding and Wilson seaters. The RCBS competition seater that I had did not do anything that a standard seating did did not do according to my group sizes. The loading window was very convenient though, a nice touch. The older Bonanza Benchrest dies were good and I think thats the design Redding used. Hornady offers a decent seating die also.

Boolit Master
    I've gone die poor in my life always searching for the best which to me is not over sizing the brass, least run out, constant base to ogive, and no rings on the bullet nose. My kids are going to know the old man must have been nuts when they start cleaning out my stuff. For the Hornet I use the Lee collet die adjusted using John Valentines instructions, for jacketed bullets a Wilson or Forster seater. For cast bullets I use a Lyman seater with the correct seating stem. And, on the rare occasion when I need to full length size I use a Redding with the de capping rod removed. The Hornet is a fun little round.