Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Marlin 1895gbl

Boolit Bub

Marlin 1895gbl

Took an advantage of Marlin's 100.00 rebate and found a 45-70 Gov. for 399.00. Always wanted one, so now was the time. What dies do you recommend, RCBS has the Cowboy Dies, but I'm partial to Redding. Also what molds, I think I have pair of Lee's somewhere hiding....

Thanks

There are any number of dies that will do the job. I like RCBS, but have a set of Lee dies that do a good job. I like the Lee because you can insert the primer, flare the case mouth, and dump the powder charge through the die body. Takes a step or two out of the process.

As for bullet, what is your intended usage? I mainly hunt whitetail. So I load trapdoor pressures, and use a 325 gr. plain base RCBS mould. The 325 is more then adequate for deer, uses less precious lead to cast (compared to the 405), and is lighter on recoil. Not to mention the lower pressures are easier on brass.

I have found with my alloy (mine actually weigh 338 to 340 gr due to using wheel weights). I have to keep it at 1600 fps or lower, or I start to lose accuracy. RCBS recommends using linotype for this mould but softer is no problem when you lower the velocity. Again, a little slower is not a problem. At 1500 fps, the 325 (actually 340 gr) still has 1698 ft/lbs at muzzle.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 07-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.

I just got one, too. Great rifle!! I have Redding dies. I also load 40/82, also Redding. They seem to pay more attention to the straight wall case aspect as far as belling enough to seat bullets. Crush less cases with Redding dies (again, just my experience).

rmcc

Boolit Bub
    I don't hunt much anymore, bought the rifle more or less because I always wanted one, and already have 44 and 30-30. I Ordered Redding dies, still looking for the molds, I know I have them somewhere, but since we moved recently I still have plenty of boxes to go.

Boolit Master
    I've always wanted a 45 70. But those dandy 32 Specials just kept turning up in gun racks at the same time I was skimming such gun racks for a 45-70 JM guide model.~~ Congratulations on your recent rifle purchase.

BTW Hows the fit and finish on these new Marlins?

Boolit Master

Redding dies are my favorite, for jacketed bullets. I have found recently that their tolerances are so tight that I can't load oversized cast bullets. I contacted Redding as I thought I remembered them offering a service where they would open up their dies to the specs the user needed. They replied that they no longer offered this service. My 45 Colt dies won't seat a .454" bullet. My friends 38-55 dies won't seat a .379" bullet. A new set of Lee dies solved his issue and I am in the process of buying a set of Lee dies for my colt.
    Take care,
    Rick

I use the rcbs 405 and load with the rcbs cowboy dies. I had to get a separate crimp die to resolve some shaving. I know some folks say seating and crimping in one step can be done, I'm just never able to pull it off consistently so i always crimp separately. I powder coat. Traditional lube would probably be fine in a single step.

I'm lusting for a Marlin CBA 40-70 w/18" barrel. Been reading up on molds and hear decent reports using Lee molds, but I'm forever changed after using custom molds. This Arsenal Mold in 330gr looks promising too. My goal is to ring steel = plink.

Oh yeah, powder coating will be my lube for it too.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Lyman with the "M" die for my Marlin 45-70. In terms of molds if you have a Lee start with it and see what results you get. If you are not happy with that you can always go for one of the more expensive ones later.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I got so ripped off ...........

The 457193 , 458-340F , and a 453-350 RF in paper patch have all delivered the 2.5-3.5" groups of the Privi Partizan 405 SPFP .

1600 with the 405s , mine weigh 417 , are just over the no longer fun to shoot line .

The 340s at 352 gr cross that line about 1700 fps but the groups went away closer to 1550 .

The 457193 was actually still closing the group but was well into the top half of the Marlin load window .

The Lee 405 HB wasn't really even a contender for 8th place , I only have 6 458 dia moulds .

Waiting for the next round is the MiHec 462-420 at 414 PB and 380 HB . Fingers crossed for this one .

Since over all this rifle isn't really picky , for saving lead and general plinking I would paper any one of the 5-6 pistol bullets I have available .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

Marlin rebate

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFinn View Post
    Took an advantage of Marlin's 100.00 rebate and found a 45-70 Gov. for 399.00. Always wanted one, so now was the time. What dies do you recommend, RCBS has the Cowboy Dies, but I'm partial to Redding. Also what molds, I think I have pair of Lee's somewhere hiding....

Thanks
    I have had a set of RCBS dies for over 25 yrs for my Ruger #3 scoped with a Nikon Buckmaster straight 4X. Has survived all those years of all types of Ruger hot loads included. Has since been discontinued and am looking for a new scope for the Marlin. Been thinking about a discontinued Weaver Extreme 1-4X 20 or a Leupold 1-4X20. How is the eye relief with Talley permanent scope mount. I already have the Talley mount (new in pkg.) so I can swap my 1" rings for 30mm at no cost. Any experience you can give me on my scope choices with clarity, eye relief and any dislikes. afish4570