Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Gang molds

Boolit Buddy

Gang molds

Do people collect older gang molds? I have a 5 cavity 357155 Cramer mold that must weigh over 5lbs empty. I was wondering where those old heavy gang molds go these days - to the junk pile or are their collectors of these dinosaurs?

Boolit Buddy

They aren't DINOSAURS.. Those "old gang moulds" as you call them have made many thousands and thousands of bullets over the years for many of us. I still have 27 of the H&G 10 & 8 cavity moulds which weigh on average 7 lbs each.. Also have 20 of the SAECO 8 cav moulds, they are a little lighter, only about 4 lbs each. Depending on what you have it could bring you a good price.. Those big heavy moulds produce darn good bullets.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

USMC 77, USRA 79

I wonder just how many PM's that nice gentlemen just received offering to take that poor old useless mold of his hands.. prolly offered him quite a purty penny too... lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy

I've seen H&G 10 and 8 cavity molds, but this one has very thick blocks and really heavy. I'll try to post a photo of it, to show it's size.

Boolit Master

I'll take every old heavy gang mold I can afford.

There was a Ideal Arsenal mold for .38 wadcutters on eBay today. Buy it now for $35. A seven cavity. Someone beat me to it.

I would have loved to have that beast.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    my h&g 50 is treasured but it is a heavy beast =). To think i thought a 6 cavity would be easy. I like them just for the amount of thermal energy they can store from the mass. No worrying about it cooling too fast or whatnot.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I got a HG gang mold that weights about 8-10 lbs with handles. All the screws were messed up, ;so for $100 I shipped it to Eric at hollow point molds.
    He cleaned it up replaced all the screws and such.
    I am planning on trying it out this fall.
    I was told those big molds were for police dept. to make a lot of bullets for practices and PPC shoolting.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Bub
    Those dinosaurs will be passed on like heirlooms by many I'm sure. The quality today just ain't what it used to be. Sure give the arms a workout when using them.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have an 8 cavity H&G and it is a brute. I cast great bullets and I use when I need that particular bullet. I also have a 6 cavity H & G and it is a brute also and it cast great bullets
    both of these are pot drainers and they rain bullets when opened. I plan on keeping them until I can no longer cast. The 4 cavity H & G is a light weight in comparison, the mold blocks
    are more like a Lyman 4 cavity than the other H & G molds. It would be a shame to not use something that great.

Boolit Master
    I will say I never bothered using mold guides until I got the H&G, I didn't even know what that little ledge was for on the lee 4-20 . They sure don't make them like that any more. I have a few others on my wish list...
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of those old gang moulds were used by police departments, clubs , and other groups. Some were hung on spring retractors or balancers to reduce remove the weight from the operator. At work we had "heavy" drivers on balancers in production a 8lb driver hung balanced by a simple counter weight and only took a little force to move or use. These moulds were used the same way in a lot of these places. I have sen chairs with an over head arm and 2 pulleys on the arm ( Piece of conduit or light tubing) a weight equal to the mould on the back of the cord and the mould on the other end. Very little muscle was needed to move use the mould as it hung were you left go of it.