Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 108 yo win 94 in 32WS

Vendor Sponsor

Picked up a 108 yo win 94 in 32WS

It has a 26" octagon bbl and a fine patina on the receiver with good blueing on the barrel. And it shoots.[IMG][/IMG]

It has a old Marbles tang sight and a Marbles front sight as well. The dovetail slot was left empty when the rear sight was removed and was a bit unsightly. I figured that no matter what I bought or made from steel was just not going to look right. I dug around in my engraving stuff and found a piece of brass .120" thick.

[IMG][/IMG]

Using a bastard file I formed up the matching dovetail and octagon facets and roughly engraved a border and a small scroll. I think it looks just right. And will only look better with age.

Congratulations on the rifle. Very nice. The dovetail blank is pretty sweet man.

What's the story on that fine rifle? Where/how did you get it?

Vendor Sponsor
    An aquaintance was out of work and needed some cash for auto repairs and knew I would appreciate an old classic like this one. So I bought it to help him out.

One good turn certainly deserves another - VERY nice !

(and great work on that slot filler blank )

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Moderator Emeritus

Great lookin' rifle; great cartridge; look forward to seeing a range report!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Barrel not being nickel steel many 32s were subjected to Black Powder use. So hows the bore in this 32 Special?

Boolit Master
    sweet!
    Hick: Iron sights!

That's just an awesome looking rifle! I'd be prouder than a pig in a puddle to have one like that! I have a real soft spot for long octagonal barreled leverguns.

Boolit Master

Love it! I also have an old girl (115 years old), though not as nice as yours.
    Mine's a Marlin that started out as a 32WS, but was relined and chambered in 32-40 by the last owner. It also looks to have been re-blued sometime in the past, but long enough ago that it has patina of age and handling on it, so it looks the part. Shoots awesome now that I found some 32-40 brass.
    Love the idea of the brass insert, and will be looking to copy it on mine...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164320435.otYtHkCh.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	200862

Boolit Master
    Nice looking old Winchester. The 32 special is special with cast boolits too. Love it and very nice job on the slot blank.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Vendor Sponsor
    Buckwheatpaul, It groups minute of mule deer but shoots a bit high on the tang sights lowest setting. I can either find a taller marbles front sight or I was thinking about trying to fashion a sight that would take a brass insert to compliment the blank. I will have to think on that. I plan to take it for a desert big horn ewe tag that I have this year in the Tonopah, NV area.

Overmax, The barrel is stamped specially made for smokeless powder so it should be nickel steel. the bore has a fine texture to the finish as though is saw some rust along the way but the lands are still sharp and it shoots good enough with cast to hunt with. Cleaning with copper cleaner showed zero blue color on the patch, but a lot of powder fouling to get it good and clean. I have a load with a mountain moulds 160gr flat point over 17.8 gr of 4759 that I worked up with a 1940's win 84 carbine and I think that some load work might find a different favorite for the longer bbl.

rondog, I grew up in Wisconsin and hunted with some old timers with model 94 rifles. One in particular Erv Brandimuel had a 32WS with a half octagon half round bbl. He was legendary for his tracking ability in the woods and when his rifle barked there was venison on the ground. My first 94 rifle was a new 7-30 waters with a 24" bbl that I still have and will never part with. Another great cast boolit rifle.

Boolit Master
    at one time every Winchester I bought was in .32 spl. I have several carbines including one that is u.s. marked. from what I have been able to find out it is a guard gun. I have a twin to yours it has a round barrel. I have one that has a part round part octagon with full mag, which is a rare combination. I have one with the rare smokeless sight. and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post

It groups minute of mule deer but shoots a bit high on the tang sights lowest setting.

I can either find a taller marbles front sight or I was thinking about trying to fashion a sight that would take a brass insert to compliment the blank.

OR, you might want to consider setting up your rifle with dual zeroes, one at a relatively short range (say, 75yds), and the other for a longer range (say, 150-200yds), so a different height front sight won't be needed - just a folding leaf rear barrel open sight.

In use, the rifle's hunted with the tang sight folded and the rrear bbl sight "up", for suddenly-presented game shots.

If/when a game shot at a longer range arises, IME there's usually ample time to fold the bbl sight with the forward hand that's on the forend, while the tanger's being raised by the trigger hand.

For me, the dual zeroes presented the best of both worlds, although YMMV, of course.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Purty!

Love the brass filler

Boolit Master

I like that brass dovetail filler. Real class. I may try to make one for my Shiloh Sharps after installing a tang sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice rifle, the dovetail blank is a nice addition, enjoy the up and coming mutton feast!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    I splurged for a Cody Museum letter for my Feb. 1937 M94 in 32WS, as what I could find on-line was unclear. Curious of the detail that may be available on that early rifle? I hope you use her, I plan to hunt mine..Attachment 200976

What a beautiful gun. I like the brass sight filler. That makes it unique to you.

What is the difference between the smokeless sights and black powder sights? I'm a 94 fan and have a couple 32 WS too. One I have shoots high as if the front sight is too low. The other is zeroed but has the receiver in the sight picture. They both have Lyman flip up rear aperture sights and nickel steel barrels.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast