RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: 1911 slide locks back with the last round still present

1911 slide locks back with the last round still present

I have several mags for my 22TCM pistol and they all let the slide lock open before the last round gets chambered, leaving that last round still under the feed lips or slightly forward. This happens more with the 9x19 barrel installed, which gets more range time than the TCM barrel. I have installed an extended Wilson slide stop, hoping the slight extra weight would cure the problem, but no joy. Something is causing that slide stop to jump or bounce up enough to lock the slide back prematurely. Does anyone have any experience with fixing a problem like this? Thanks in advance....DanM
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master

extended slide stops just make things worse. the quick easy fix is to put the tiniest of dimples on the back face of the slide stop so the detent catches it a little. only a few thousandths deep, as you still want it to work when it is supposed to.generally this issue is caused by the bullet bumping the pad on the slidestop when it is trying to feed. you can also alter the pad on the slidestop where it is supposed to engage the magazine follower.

Best give it a check and make sure the detent is free, and the spring is supplying the amount of power it aught to.

All this makes good sense. Thanks, I will check all that soon. Haven't cleaned the little bugger from the last two shoots anyway.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master

The majority of the time I see the slide stop engaged with rounds still in the mag is shooter induced, and not a mechanical malfunction. Usually a grip issue and slight inadvertent upward pressure by the left thumb. Have someone video you shooting to rule that out. Not saying that's the case, but rule it out before you start modifying parts.

Brad

Boolit Grand Master

On the front of the left side of the follower is the dog leg that activates the slide stop. Remove the follower from the magazine and bend it down slightly. Most M1911 followers are made for the 45 ACP diameter cartridge. The smaller diameter of the last cartridge of 22TCM or 9mm is allowing the dog leg to reach and push up on the slide stop.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    The majority of the time I see the slide stop engaged with rounds still in the mag is shooter induced, and not a mechanical malfunction. Usually a grip issue and slight inadvertent upward pressure by the left thumb. Have someone video you shooting to rule that out. Not saying that's the case, but rule it out before you start modifying parts.

Brad
    Makes sense. I sometimes do just the opposite and keep the slide stop from doing its job by the way I hold my left thumb in the Weaver stance.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I'm inclined to go with Mr. Gibson's assessment and cure. Try bending the bent leg of the follower downward a bit on just one mag and see how that works. If it does, do it to all of them. Warning: if you over-do the bend it won't catch and hold the slide back at all, so then you'll have to bend it upward a bit again until you hit the right spot. I use a small pair of non-marring parallel jaw pliers for this job.

Boolit Buddy
    Never shot one, but 22 TCM looks like light recoil. When I was working up 45 +P loads and the recoil was going up and up, my top round in the magazine started to jump forward an eighth inch. This caused the Lee RF ogive to hit the slide lock.

I solved the issue by getting extra power springs from Wolff. If you notice the top round of your mag being shifted forward when you drop a half loaded mag, this might be your issue. I know my armscor factory mag springs were very weak, along with my recoil spring. They were junk metal and took a huge set. Meanwhile my Wolff springs are still within a quarter inch length of when they were new with thousands of rounds shot.

Boolit Master
    It happens to me once in awhile, it's my grip doing it.